Handshake Greetings

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
This is a straw poll to find out what general attitudes are.

For whatever reason, I do not habitually offer a handshake when I meet somebody. I don't seem to have been brought up to do that, and I don't know if it's a generation thing (having grown up in the liberal 60's).

I have observed that younger people seem to do far more of it, for example when they all meet up in a pub.

This is a straw poll to find out what general attitudes are.

For whatever reason, I do not habitually offer a handshake when I meet somebody. I don't seem to have been brought up to do that, and I don't know if it's a generation thing (having grown up in the liberal 60's).

I have observed that younger people seem to do far more of it, for example when they all meet up in a pub.

I usually offer my hand, particularly if I haven't seen someone for a while. However, I am more reticent in offering a kiss to a female acquaintance. Perhaps I lack social confidence?

No, don't usually offer, but I am aware if the other person appears to be 'sort of indicating they might' and will help out.
Not keen on hugging and kissing.

Don't usually offer to shake hands - unless it is a professional meeting (project meeting/conference/job interview).
Never offered my hand to friends in the pub.
Might do it...
if the other person appears to be 'sort of indicating they might'
...and I hadn't seen them for a long time.

Only go for the "hugging and kissing" with female friends from other countries but, contrary to their tradition, I use a handshake with male friends. Never go in for "high-fives" or fist bumping!

I usually assess the situation first. If it is someone I see regularly, then no, but as I spend many months abroad each year, it has become a habit to shake hands more often as per the locals and it seems natural now to offer my hand in greeting at home.
As EEphil, hugs and kisses with foreign females is the norm, but I get embarrassed ( typically English!) when a bloke moves his head forward. :eek:

Kiss a personage of the same sex? Not a chance! Fortunately I have never been in that situation.

I know, but I have been kissed on the cheeks by Greek blokes with their wives in tow. I tried hard not to flinch but it would have been rude to pull away I think! :eek:

I know, but I have been kissed on the cheeks by Greek blokes with their wives in tow. I tried hard not to flinch but it would have been rude to pull away I think! :eek:
Fortunately, the only Greek bloke I know only offered a handshake - and that was after not seeing him for a number of years. Maybe his behaviour was modified by the fact he's lived in England for over 30 years.

So what is your conclusion re straw poll BH?
I don't seem to be unusual for my era, and the way the next generation behave is their own ritual - much the way I head for the urinals while younger men (I use that term loosely) head for the cubicles.

I can't get my head around this fist bumping business. High fives seem to have some sort of place as a congratulatory 'greeting' but what's the point of the fistbump I wonder?

All such things are recognition codes that mark you as either "in" (with-it, groovy, hip, part of the gang) or "out" (past-it, yesterday, so last year, outdated). Rather than pretending to be "in" by trying to mimic their rituals (which will only fail), I prefer not to give them the time of day.

Even with handshaking: I think it is best reserved for peers. To do it when there is clearly a generation gap would be either presumptive or patronising.

Don't you just love it when a spotty youth serving in Wetherspoons calls you "guys", when clearly it should be "sir & madam"?!

Had you thought of complaining to the duty manage about the blatant lack of respect to their customers. The other alternative is not to frequent such 'common people' places.;)

Don't you just love it when a spotty youth serving in Wetherspoons calls you "guys", when clearly it should be "sir & madam"?!
That seems to be an attempt to avoid awkwardnesses, and I put it in the category of 'more likely to be offered by a youth'. When it does seem crass is offered on a 'formal' TV programme, and the like.
My normal response to handshaking is that I will return the form of greeting offered, but not initiate a physical contact.
Having been in hospital the last week, I noticed that, within the hospital, it was fairly unlikely to see handshakes etc between staff members.

Had you thought of complaining to the duty manage about the blatant lack of respect to their customers. The other alternative is not to frequent such 'common people' places.;)
It extends to much less common places, I've noticed :(

Surely fist bumping should be adopted by all as it is far more hygienic than a hand shake especially when greeting young men in toilet cubicles.

I can't get my head around this fist bumping business. High fives seem to have some sort of place as a congratulatory 'greeting' but what's the point of the fistbump I wonder?
Seems appropriate in cricket when the two batters want to acknowledge a good shot or achievement given their gloves don't make it easy to do a handshake.

Back