Hard drive possibly dead

Your problem in that topic appears to be that you wanted to use the WebIF (which cannot initialise without the HDD) instead of the Telnet tools (which don't use the HDD, and once the unit is booted into Maintenance Mode the HDD is released for analysis). The topic is also a year+ old and the CF repair tools have improved.

My point was that you don't need a full Linux installation, just a Linux Live CD.

There was certainly no need to call my post nonsense.

You can't get away with erroneous statements - if nothing else, they can be misleading to other readers. The point is what I tried to say in post 23 - any areas of the HDD that hold elements of the custom firmware packages are irrelevant for disk repair activities.

You seem to be under the impression that if the WebIF can't be accessed there is no CF, but the WebIF is just a package which provides a browser interface to the CF. The Telnet interface remains available regardless.

Perhaps instead of "can't" I should have said "won't be allowed to if it's spotted". Not policy as such, it's just as the forum contributors choose to respond - and I'm explaining why.

The Telnet business was as true then as it is now, but the disk analysis has improved. It escaped my attention at the time that you were confused about the WebIF (or your posts gave that impression).

This is getting tedious so lets see if we can put an end to it.

I've just looked at my notes. The Hummy was so tied up with the disk error that it hadn't started the Ethernet connection - the LED on its switch port was off which was how I realised something was up. So any discussion about were the CFW stores its disc utilities is/was moot as there was no way to access them.

Last edited:
Back