Hard drive temperature - very hot

AV Seagates spin slower and generate less heat than WDs though..
Edit: Just checked, I was wrong. AV Seagates are 5900 RPM, AV WDs are 5400 rpm.

Having said that, my always-on test box has a 2TB WD20EURX and minimum fan speed set to 50% and is currently at 41 degrees. The room it's in is quite warm with the sun streaming through the windows.

Sysmon does not tell you whether the fan is actually running, it only tells you what the fan is predicted to be doing based on what we know about how the Humax firmware responds to the SMART data (which is, as far as we know, the only means it has to monitor the case temperature).
I may never have posted it on the forum but I did at some point confirm that the Humax firmware is monitoring SMART attributes to determine disk temperature and control the fan accordingly.

Screenshot%202017-04-05%2018.01.37.png

As per the OP, after 5 years of great experience I have also just successfully replaced my failed 1Tb disk for a 2Tb model. I also found the old disk very hot to handle and was worried about the fan.

I already have the custom firmware, so installed and configured the fan package to run constantly - after 5 mins there was still no sign of life from the fan :(

So I popped along to Maplin and purchased item code N49QT (tried to post a link but I'm too new).

I even took the drive caddy with me to double check it actually fitted, the screw holes lined up, etc which it did. But on trying to plug the small clippy power connector which connects the fan to the motherboard (white plastic on the old fan) didcovered tyat it's an ever-so-slightly-bit-larger black plug on the new fan. So it doesn't fit. Did someone change the ISO standard for mother power connectors by a smidge a few years ago?!

Can someone point me at a guaranteed to fit/ recommended replacement fan from Amazon or similar? Apologies if this is an FAQ.

Thanks in advance

Russell

Just swap the connector from one fan to the other. That's the only way to be sure.

However, I suggest checking there is output from the circuit board before going any further, it would be a shame to go to that trouble and then find the fan isn't running because the driver has blown. Test for volts on the connector, and/or connect 5V to the existing fan and see if it runs.

Thanks for the speedy reply - really appreciated.

If only I hadn't handed in my old fan for WEEE like a good eco person :(

And unfortunately testing electrical things is above my pay grade - was delighted to have managed to swap out the disk!

A new fan's only a few quid. Must be a goto replacement online somewhere?

Do you have a friend who is in a higher pay grade and a bit more electrical savvy with a voltmeter. I's easy enough, if you have a meter. Just set the meter to read at least 5V DC then connect the meter across the fan terminals in the motherboard(MB) and read off the voltage.
Also, could it be possible that you have broken the circuit board track behind the MB plug with your attempts to get the plug off? A meter check will soon sort that out. If there is a voltage there, the board is OK.

The problem now is that he doesn't have the right connector! Never throw anything away until what you are trying to repair is properly up and running (and in my case - not even then!).

I think under the circumstances I would be straight back to Maplin to complain that the fan they sold me (with full knowledge of the one it was to replace) didn't fit - not suitable for the intended purpose as stated at time of sale. And hope that they haven't thrown the old one out yet. Then test it.

If only I hadn't handed in my old fan for WEEE like a good eco person
Serves you right for being a tree hugger not a kleptomaniac(Like Black Hole and me):( Fans? Iv'e got dozens in my loft that I will never use (but might do one day).:frantic:

Do you have a friend who is in a higher pay grade and a bit more electrical savvy with a voltmeter. I's easy enough, if you have a meter. Just set the meter to read at least 5V DC then connect the meter across the fan terminals in the motherboard(MB) and read off the voltage.

It's PWM so you won't get a constant voltage but at least you should be able to see something...

Hee hee! I got all sorts of cables n leads n stuff. Including a ZX81 RAM pack somewhere... but no ZX81... but it would be madness to throw that out cos one day... :)

Pretty sure the fan is dead. Potential damage to the board is irrelevant at this stage. I paid five whole pounds for a new fan. I can take the hit. It would cost the same in petrol to go back. Very happy to just spend another fiver on a unit that someone's used before and can recommend.

Appreciate the troubleshooting advice & technically right way to proceed etc (I work in IT) but this "end user" just wants a quick solution to their problem. I have no interest in fixing/exploring Humax's. It is just a black box that performs a function for me.

If the original fan is bust a new one will fix it. Will only cost another fiver. If the issue is something on the main circuit board then I'll deal with that next. But the cheapest, quickest & easiest way for me to proceed (given my lack of electrical pokery) is just to buy a new fan. For less than the cost of two frothy coffees :)

Realise you chaps would want to explore/fix in the "right" way, but in the absence of any ability to poke around (or a friend suitably equipped) I just want to make my Hummy happy again.

Anyone point me at a fan that will work? Has no one had a fan die before??

Pretty sure the fan is dead.
No you are not. Without having tested it, you're just hoping. Even if it wasn't going round, I've brought fans back to life by giving them a good clean (including the bearing) and a drop of grease. A fan is about as simple a moving part as you can get, and has very little to go wrong mechanically (although it does contain a small amount of electronics to create a rotating magnetic field). If the PWM output on the circuit board is dead, the answer is to bypass it and run the fan continuously (or fit a thermostatic fan).
Has no one had a fan die before??
Not me. And I've got four of them (not had to clean them yet either).
I paid five whole pounds for a new fan. I can take the hit. It would cost the same in petrol to go back.
Either that's a 30 mile round trip or your car is very heavy on fuel. You missed the point: the point is to get hold of a connector that fits.

Last edited:
So why would Humax use a non standard connector for a fan? Isn't that in itself perverse?

I too am a cable hoarder, by the way.:thumbsdown:

I'll have a look at my fifth (spare) unit and see what the problem is.

...if I can figure out where I've stashed it...

Last edited:
So why would Humax use a non standard connector for a fan?
Who knows, but it seems that they have, and that's the OP's problem now: he hasn't got a connector that fits, and his problem is likely to be getting one that does fit unless he recovers his old fan or does a bit of a bodge job.
Anyway, I hope if nothing else, he gets the drift along the lines of "Don't throw the old one away until you have a replacement that actually fits and fixes the problem".

Russellj Try phoning Maplin toot sweet and see if they still have the old one in their recycle bin as the new one doesn't fit.

It's some time since I bought a desktop fan, but aren't the connectors hard wired to the fan? If the connector is the type with two pins and a double socket, why not cut the connector and push the two bits on?

The "sockets" are normally on the cable, with the pins on the circuit board. Yes, swapping connectors would require surgery!

In any case, an engineer would be looking for confirmation that the proposed solution had a good chance of working before butchering anything beyond repair. Yes, I realise that's a lot easier for me (with all manner of tools and knowledge at my disposal) that the usual just-about-know-the-right-end-of-a-screwdriver dabbler, but diving in on some poor assumptions gets you into this kind of trouble.

Go back to post 24 - the OP has not convinced me that the fan is broken. Or that anything is broken. No diagnostics have been carried out at all.

Commissioning an HDR-FOX (click)

Last edited:
The connector in question is three-pin (0V, 12V, speed feedback?) 2mm pitch with a latch and orientation keys. If the unit supplied has a 2.5mm or 2.54mm (0.1") pitch it ain't gonna fit. 2mm is also a standard pitch.

IMG_2172.jpg

The key here is to enter the model number into eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELTA-BRU...069467?hash=item3ad041b1db:g:fx0AAOSwmtJXZT-t

The listing says these have been recovered from set-top boxes.

I am working up a post on servicing the fan (for those who are not stupid enough to bin it). Edit: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-hardware-commissioning-disassembly-repair.5728/#post-109122

BTW, IIRC this is the first time I have been inside an HDR-FOX, and it really is very easy.

Last edited:
Back