Hard drive temperature - very hot

So now we are openly calling our less skilled posters 'stupid' now are we? If that ain't both extremely rude and controversial, I don't know what is.:frantic::behave:

But thanks for the info on the fan connector.

Wow! I thought it was supposed to be *me* that signs up, trolls you guys and gets banned! There's a lot of unwarranted unpleasantness here for a noob!

Black Hole - thanks for the ebay link - just what I was hoping for :)

If that doesn't work I'll contemplate taking it to someone who can hardwire a permanent connection - just trying to avoid forking out for that.

Trev - thanks for your post.

I'm extremely grateful for this forum and its distilled wisdom, and especially the custom firmware. But I don't think I shall dare post again!

But I don't think I shall dare post again!
Just ignore the cutting remark. But learn from your experience re tossing stuff out :D :cheers:
If that doesn't work I'll contemplate taking it to someone who can hardwire a permanent connection
That's OK unless you need to change it again. But if you can get your old one back, you could then join the wires from the new fan to the wires from the old connector.

What's got everyone's backs up this time? Flippancy, and telling it like it is, is in my nature.

Making mistakes isn't a bad thing. Not learning from mistakes is where stupidity comes in.

Not learning from mistakes is where stupidity comes in.
But Russellj has not said that he hadn't learned from the experience. And bear in mind the old adage (that never seems to work when public bodies are involved) "Lessons have been learned.".
It's the implying that someone is "stupid" for binning the old fan that's "got everyone's backs up". Anyway, I'm not certain that it is "everyone", but you can count me in if you have a vote.;)

Well, when somebody trusts that somewhere like Maplin will be able to supply a replacement part for an OEM item, or that a spotty wet-behind-the-ears shop assistant will realise there may be a difference, when they have not even established that the part is broken in the first place, nor bothered to ask advice on here first (only after the event, in the hope we might get them out of trouble when the trouble has been magnified by their own intervention), does strike me as fairly stupid. And if your skin isn't thick enough to be told that when it's true, sorry!!!

(And, I happen to think, going to the trouble of finding and then dismantling my spare HDR to find out what the connector spec and the model number of the fan is, buys me some brownie points to say what the hell I like!)

Last edited:
I'm sure you're all dying to know...

The fan I purchased from eBay (link in post #40) arrived, was fitted, and the fan turned up to 100% via the fan package. I now have air again :)

No dying motherboards, no dodgy connections, no failed circuits. Just the simple swapping out of a £6.79 fan. Occam's razor anyone?

Now I'm not of course saying that the old fan *wasn't* revivable with some cleaning and a drop of oil (that would be STUPID!). But I still maintain that purchasing a replaceable fan for £7 is not an unreasonable action to take in the circumstance. And I just wanted to share my smugness.

And I am saying that I (eventually) solved my problem. For less than £7. Hopefully some other person may one day benefit from my STUPIDITY.

:laugh:

What temperature does the HDD run at with the fan at 100% and doesn't it sound a bit loud? I run mine at 50%

Ah but the feeling is brilliant! :)

And I *was* genuinely grateful.

You just didn't have to be such A Hole about it :o_O:

The connector in question is three-pin (0V, 12V, speed feedback?) 2mm pitch with a latch and orientation keys. If the unit supplied has a 2.5mm or 2.54mm (0.1") pitch it ain't gonna fit. 2mm is also a standard pitch.

View attachment 2915

The key here is to enter the model number into eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELTA-BRU...069467?hash=item3ad041b1db:g:fx0AAOSwmtJXZT-t

The listing says these have been recovered from set-top boxes.

I am working up a post on servicing the fan (for those who are not stupid enough to bin it). Edit: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-hardware-commissioning-disassembly-repair.5728/#post-109122

BTW, IIRC this is the first time I have been inside an HDR-FOX, and it really is very easy.

I have just replaced the HDD in my HDR-Fox T2. In doing this I noticed that the fan (as originally fitted) is not the same as shown in Post #40. A "Nidec H35755-58 DC12V 0.04A 5015 5CM 50mm 50x50x15mm 3pin Cooling Fan" was fitted to my T2.

I believe this Nidec fan is slower and produces less flow than the Delta AUB0512LB.

Was the fan type changed at some point during the production of the HDR-Fox T2? If so does any know why?

I believe this Nidec fan is slower and produces less flow than the Delta AUB0512LB.
Do you have some evidence for that? Please state.

Was the fan type changed at some point during the production of the HDR-Fox T2? If so does any know why?
Yes, it looks like it (or maybe there were different fans fitted throughout the production run). The reason would be simply economy of supply and/or availability.
I just swapped the hard drive from a T1000 to a foxsat (same caddy in each so just swapped them). Here are the fans which were in those.
Foxsat on the right, T1000 on the left.

ce02dd1a3ac0aa1aaa313d8da3a140d1.jpg

Do you have a concern about the fan, or was your question 'interest only'?
I think that you will find that most folk here run the custom firmware with the fan package, which keeps the fan running all the time at lower revs. The benefits of this is that the HDD runs cooler and more temperature stable, so does not reach the temp at which the Humax switches it on to full revs causing it to be pretty noisy. I run mine at 50% which keeps the HDD at or below about 40C.

Do you have some evidence for that? Please state.

The only evidence that I have is from the fans quoted current draw. The Nidec fan draws 0.04A, whilst the Delta AUB0512LB fan draws 0.11A (although Delta's AUB0512LB spec sheet shows 0.07A ). Fan speed is a function of current draw, and speed is a function of current draw.

From the Nidec part number format I have deduced that the Nidec H35755-58 is a special for Humax, and has a form of hydrodynamic fluid bearing (as does the Delta AUB0512LB). Unfortunately, because the H35755-58 is "special" I cannot find a published specification.

Back