Closed Poll Have you had problems recording the new HD channels?

Problems recording the new HD channels: which transmitter? Reply if not listed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glad you agree. The problem with the survey results when complete will be if the non statistical person takes them at face value without apportioning down for transmitter use and all those other factors let alone sample size. I think the RS software tells the powers that be which transmitters we are all tuned to so just counting box owners by transmitters and dividing out into the survey results would be useful.

I haven't completed the survey yet since I'm not too sure whether the once failed recording on Cystal Palace was down to me. I may regret starting this statistical discussion :eek:

The RS users are skewed heavily towards the London region.

Code:
+-------+--------------------+------------+
| nid   | region             | percentage |
| 12339 | London             | 22.36%     |
| 12325 | West Midlands      | 7.74%      |
| 12330 | North West         | 7.52%      |
| 12340 | South              | 6.40%      |
| 12320 | Cambs & Beds       | 5.77%      |
| 12333 | Yorkshire          | 4.08%      |
| 12360 | Central Scotland   | 4.08%      |
| 12329 | North East         | 3.94%      |
| 12368 | Wales              | 3.94%      |
| 12327 | East Yorks & Lincs | 3.59%      |
| 12321 | East Anglia        | 2.95%      |
| 12343 | South West         | 2.95%      |
| 12346 | West               | 2.88%      |
| 12323 | East Midlands      | 2.60%      |
| 12336 | Berks & North Hant | 2.46%      |
| 12338 | South East         | 1.97%      |
| 12324 | Oxon & Bucks       | 1.69%      |
| 12376 | Northern Ireland   | 1.55%      |
| 12344 | Gloucestershire    | 1.27%      |
| 12362 | Highlands & Island | 1.27%      |
| 12331 | South Yorkshire    | 0.70%      |
| 12334 | West Borders       | 0.63%      |
| 12801 | RTENL 2            | 0.21%      |
| 12361 | East Borders       | 0.21%      |
| 12801 | RTENL 1            | 0.14%      |
| 12549 | RGE2               | 0.07%      
| 12431 | South East ..      | 0.07%      |
| 12352 | Channel Islands    | 0.07%      |
| 12394 | Teeside .          | 0.07%      |

I think normalising based on the RS registrations is a good idea, but we may not get enough data for anything meaningful. Roughly then, one might expect 3 times as many recording failures from the Crystal Palace transmitter compared to either Sutton Coldfield or Winter Hill. Hopefully more people will respond to the poll and flesh out the data.

Interesting profile of registrations and one can assume that every person who responds to the poll is an RS user or possibly not. But if you did assume then you would do a confidence internal calculation using the overall proportion to test each results as to whether the individual result came from population using

http://www.mccallum-layton.co.uk/stats/ConfidenceIntervalCalcProportions.aspx

[assuming that it does what it says]

or you could do I Chi-Squared test of independence all of this is manufacturing the same size from the registrations.

I wasn't going to be controversial but may be people in the south prefer watching BBC Four and those in the north don't.... so that's the other assumption. Cause the high registration of RS in the south may be due to people going away more and a mobile work force that has links elsewhere that like to programme their boxes from afar.

Tell said:
I wasn't going to be controversial but may be people in the south prefer watching BBC Four and those in the north don't.... so that's the other assumption.
Perhaps people in the north are too busy grooming their whippets to watch BBC Four?:rolleyes:

& feeding the pigeons....

Two up, still the transmitter owners will know their catchment populations of the transmitters which is the pseudo population covered. So now we get to the point of whether RS users are representative of the population at large or whether there is a skewed London base.

When recording one of the new HD channels, have you had the zero length problem that is being discussed in the thread below?
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/failed-recording-of-new-bbc-four-hd-channel.4309/
If so please select your transmitter from the list above. Those listed are the ones with the new 'com7' multiplex, transmitting BBC Four HD, amongst other channels. If you have had this problem and are on a different transmitter (recording BBC Three HD, for example, on the BBC B multiplex) please select the 'Other transmitter' option and reply to the thread to let us know which transmitter.
BBC3 HD recording on Waltham

Rogerh

I have set a new test tonight on both my Freeview-HD boxes. American Dad BBC Three-HD - normal series AR recordings. I will post tomorrow, if they work they will be the first since the channel launched.

Hemel Hempstead transmitter, recording on CBBC HD & BBC3 HD often fails. HDR Fox T2 RE, 1.03.06 CF 2.20

please select the 'Other transmitter' option and reply to the thread to let us know which transmitter.
Sudbury transmitter, recording on CBBC HD OK and BBC3 HD fails.

HDR Fox T2 1.02.20 CF 2.19; HDR Fox T2 1.03.06 CF 2.19; HDR Fox T2 1.02.29/32.
(I didn't vote for 'other' as at the time I voted no one else had voted for Sand Heath yet (HDR Fox T2 1.02.29/32).)

Interesting. Starting to get a fair few individual reports of failures from multiple non-com7 transmitters, but still nothing from Sutton Coldfield.

Back