Closed Poll Have you had problems recording the new HD channels?

Problems recording the new HD channels: which transmitter? Reply if not listed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
American Dad worked on HDR FOX T2, failed on HD FOX T2. (Lark Stoke - which in effect is a SFN with Bromsgrove and effectively a Sutton Coldfield relay)

I recorded Bridge II on Saturday, BBC 4 HD from Crystal Palace. I can download the recordings to my laptop, watch them OK and they appear to be complete (I haven't watched them all the way through yet).

However, I cannot watch them on a TV connected to the HDR Fox T2 as they are deemed to be 0 size on that.

I am having a problem searching Movie/Drama on the web epg (crashes with a SEGV) but I doubt that is anything to do with the BBC 4 recordings.

I recorded Bridge II on Saturday, BBC 4 HD from Crystal Palace. I can download the recordings to my laptop, watch them OK and they appear to be complete (I haven't watched them all the way through yet).

However, I cannot watch them on a TV connected to the HDR Fox T2 as they are deemed to be 0 size on that.
This is precisely the problem.

American Dad worked on HDR FOX T2, failed on HD FOX T2. (Lark Stoke - which in effect is a SFN with Bromsgrove and effectively a Sutton Coldfield relay)
I don't know if Sutton Coldfield is immune from this problem, but it covers a large population (probably second only to Crystal Palace) and there have been no reports of failures yet. If it is genuinely immune, I have no idea why. Is Lark Stoke a straightforward relay of Sutton Coldfield? The multiplexes are at different frequencies and the polarisation at Lark Stoke is vertical rather than horizontal. I would not expect these differences per se to cause the problems observed, but clearly the configurations of the transmitters are different.
My knowledge of broadcast transmission is limited (self-evidently): so please make allowances if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

You haven't, I don't know if anyone using Sutton is immune (Due to trees behind where I live Sutton Coldfield doesn't give reliable reception) but Lark Stoke together with 2 other transmitters isn't a normal relay. All three use the same frequencies for each mux. hence SFN - Single Frequency Network. I don't think this is relevant to the problem. Last night one box worked the other did not. Today updated the firmware on the HD FOX T2 to see if that will make a difference.

Update from my post #17
HDR-FOX T2 S/W 1.02.32 Heathfield Sussex TX.
Last night (7th) for the first time since BBC3 HD appeared I had a good recording, 3 in fact :- Indiana Jones, Family Guy and American Dad.
Since I am not aware of any OTA updates, could someone have found the difference between BBC1 HD and BBC3 HD, and corrected it. Or could it just be a fluke?

American Dad failed on HD FOX T2, Family Guy worked on HDR FOX T2 (both series). Both series now set on both recorders. Seems like some adjustments have been made but not completely resolving the issue.

I am on Sutton Coldfield transmitter. I have not tried recording BBC3/4 HD on my Fox T2 yet.
BUT, I did set my YouView box (one of original pilot boxes, Humax DTR-T1000) to record The Bridge II on BBC4 HD over the weekend.
BOTH RECORDINGS ARE MARKED AS FAILED, though the listing does show a scene from each episode in the recordings list along with the program info ("i").

I suspect that this is the same problem as on the T2 but being YouView I can't investigate further!! It just says "Failed" in status and won't try to play them.

Should I put a "vote" in the survey for Sutton Coldfield.

In the mean time I'll set up a couple of tests on the T2 and YouView to parallel each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@HarveyB: don't vote unless you have a failure on a HD or HDR-Fox T2, and only if that failure is due to a zero length 'nts' file. I also had a problem recording the Bridge II on a HDR-Fox T2 on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, but this was a different problem related to accurate recording, I think.

OK, thanks.
Will post results of current test when complete (this evening/tomorrow).
Have set to record a parallel set of recordings on HD CBBC, CBeebees, BBC3, BBC4 on both T2 and YouView over next 12 hours.
Let's see what happens.

If I get the correct type of failures on T2 then I'll volunteer to test AF123's new app.

However, I cannot watch them on a TV connected to the HDR Fox T2 as they are deemed to be 0 size on that,

My recordings of Bridge II on HD from Craigkelly worked fine last weekend, although I had definitely had the zero length recording problem with BBC4HD previously. I might try another test recording this evening (if I can find a gap in SWMBO's recording schedule ;-)

Interim results:
Fox T2:
Recordings on both CBBC and CBeebees FAILED. Zero length .nts, but other file lengths look fine.
YouView:
Both recordings recorded properly.

Incidentally, YouView box is positioned after the T2 in aerial chain, so not aerial or signal strength fault.

I'll let AF123 know that I have a couple of test cases. AND update our poll table.

This is precisely the problem.
I seem to have been alright with BBC4 recording, but have had the same problem with BBC3. Using Wenvoe transmitter. Recently updated the channel list to include the newly available HD variants. I use my HDR as a front-end for viewing as well as recording, (no viewing problems,) - watched and recorded Bridge II on HD at the weekend - no problems.

I also recorded the re-run of Bluestone on BBC3HD, these files have the zero length warning and will not play on the attached TV, but are viewable on my pc via the network connection. I also have an external hard drive connected to the USB on the HDR. I suspect that if I copy the Bluestone folder from the internal to external drive it will be viewable, at least on the network if not the TV as well - will update you later. ???

HarveyB said:
Fox T2:
Recordings on both CBBC and CBeebees FAILED. Zero length .nts, but other file lengths look fine.
So Sutton Coldfield is also affected:( I hadn't tried making recordings on the kids channels. Haven't had the problem on BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD.

So Sutton Coldfield is also affected:( I hadn't tried making recordings on the kids channels. Haven't had the problem on BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD.
Interestingly, I haven't checked the YouView box yet but, the T2 successfully recorded on BBC3 & BBC4 HD channels this evening.
EDIT:
Have now checked YouView BBC3 OK, BBC4 FAILED.
I have just set up two more test recording for these channels on T2 and YouView so will check these tomorrow.

Result so far:

HD Channel. Fox T2. YouView.
CBBC. Fail. OK
CBeebees. Fail. OK
BBC3. OK. OK
BBC4. OK. Fail!!!

Last night Family Guy and American Dad recorded on HDR FOX T2, both failed on HD FOX T2. New Beta firmware for both boxes (not related to this problem) on MyHumax from Barry. I have flashed the HD FOX T2 to 1.02.31 (I don't hold out much hope it's going to help)

Last night Family Guy and American Dad recorded on HDR FOX T2, both failed on HD FOX T2. New Beta firmware for both boxes (not related to this problem) on MyHumax from Barry. I have flashed the HD FOX T2 to 1.02.31 (I don't hold out much hope it's going to help)
Did Barry send you this version or is it available for download? 1.02.32 was loaded on Graded HD-Foxes but has never been made available for download. Why would they distribute an earlier version than this?

Back