HD Red Button

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I frequently use 303 as a "dead" background (if I doze off watching a recording, I get as close to a silent black screen when the recording ends as possible). It now has a place-holder slide announcing BBC HD Red Button coming soon.

I think that they may use 303 for Wimbledon....I am sure that I have heard a rummer somewhere, just cannot remember where!

Yes, they have used 303 for that kind of thing from time to time. However, prior to the HD Red Button slide, mostly it was a black screen with "303" in white.

Update - the service names have changed too:

301: "BBC RB 301"
302: "308" :confused:
303: "BBC RB 303 HD"

Tuning to 302 gets a slide "BBC Red Button" "If you can see this message on channel 302, please retune your Freeview receiver", so I guess they've been messing around again.

One of prpr's database tweaks would be handy for this.

I frequently use 303 as a "dead" background
I use the Red Button data channel for that: 200 (formerly 105). Useful for firing up the PVR mid sports-event without seeing or hearing a spoiler while I get chase-play going.

Sorry about the camera shake

LCN200.jpg

I don't understand why you don't see the same thing - I have seen it on at least three of my sets.

Eh?

If you mean the slide* comes from an Internet link, my TVs show the same thing without a network connection.

How do you disable it anyway?

* See post 15

* It has just dawned on me that readers under a certain age (whatever age that might be) don't know what a "slide" is. Well, pre-digital (ie film) cameras have three types of film available: normal "colour negative" that is then used to make prints, "monochrome" for black & white prints, and "colour reversal". The latter used special processing so that, once developed, rather than resulting in a colour-negative which had to be converted to positive via another colour-negative process (ie by making a print), the film itself becomes colour-positive (reversed from the negative original image) and can be viewed with light behind it - or projected onto a screen with a suitable optical system.

Unless you specified otherwise, your roll of 24 or 36 transparencies (35mm film) were returned from the processing lab chopped into individual frames, each sandwiched into a plastic or cardboard mounting to keep it flat and give you somewhere to hold it without putting finger marks on the film frame itself. The mount is (from memory) about 50mm square (possibly 50.8mm or 2 inches), with a rectangular aperture to reveal the photograph but hide the sprocket holes that run either side (top and bottom edge of the film if the photo is landscape, used so that toothed rollers inside the camera and processing equipment can grip the film without damaging the image area).

The later projectors have automated racks for the mounted transparencies, and projected each in turn at the press of a button on the projector itself, on a long control lead, or by wireless remote control (or by the "wireless" control of presenting the show from the front and telling your projectionist "next please"). The best projectors have auto-focus and lesser projectors have manual motorised control, or the ultimate in austerity is to have to focus the projection lens yourself. It is not "set and forget", because the film is not co-planar in the mount - it is bowed, and then when it heats up in the projector (because of the powerful lamp used to illuminate the slide and cast an image onto the screen - darkened room required) it "pops" - that is, the bow flicks from one side to the other - and the lens needs to be re-focussed.

Being square, the mount can be fed into the projector in 8 orientations - four of which compensate for which way up the camera was when taking the photo in the first place, and the other four are similar but back-to-front. This leads to many opportunities for embarrassment (and audience ridicule) if you have loaded the rack incorrectly, bearing in mind the transparency in the rack has to be upside down. Dropping the rack at the last minute and just stuffing the transparencies back at random gives an 87.5% chance that any particular transparency will be on its side, upside down, and/or back to front.

So why "slide"? The pre-automatic projectors were just a lamp, a lens, and a method for manually positioning a transparency into the optical plane of the lens. This comprised a carriage with two holders for the mounted transparencies, which was then manually slid across so that one holder moved into the optical plane while the other became accessible to change the transparency. Hence the individual transparencies, for want of a shorter word, became known as "slides".

In the early days of TV, many static-frame images (particularly those used on a repeated basis) were slides.

MHEG can be turned off via a menu option on Topfield PVR's, maybe other devices have a similar option.

I have just checked and can confirm that standard 35mm transparency mounts are 50mm square.

Ha! Thought it might be, but I held my fingers about a slide-width apart and thought it looked a bit less than that. 50mm or 2"? I have updated the post.

50mm, but I also had some older ones which were somewhat larger (1960s?) and some glass slides, which were larger again (don't know size, as they were junked after digitising, but perhaps 3 inch)

* It has just dawned on me that readers under a certain age (whatever age that might be) don't know what a "slide" is
I know what a slide is in photographic terms. I have never heard it used before in the way you have here.

I still don't know what you mean about turning MHEG off, or how that applies to not seeing the LCN200 slide on the Humax?

Back