HD Volume

TomT

Just noticed when watching HD Channels the HDR-Fox T2's volume makes no difference, yet on SD it changes the volume !

Any ideas ? or is this a bug ?

It is a design feature of the digital audio interface encompassed by an HDMI or TOS connection.

Settings.. Preferences.. Audio.. Digital Audio Output > Stereo

Then the volume control will work on HD channels.

Settings.. Preferences.. Audio.. Digital Audio Output > Stereo

Then the volume control will work on HD channels.
But Definitely Not via the optical output.;)

Edit: I have just checked the sound via HDMI to my TV, and the Humax volume control works regardless of which setting is used.:)

Edit: I have just checked the sound via HDMI to my TV, and the Humax volume control works regardless of which setting is used.:)
:confused:

Not so with mine:-

Stereo: SD - yes; HD - yes
Digital: SD - yes; HD - no

Just a thought - could it depend on whether a 5.1 sound source was being transmitted at the time? If the HD channel was only stereo, the Humax might drop back to stereo functionality.

could it depend on whether a 5.1 sound source was being transmitted at the time? If the HD channel was only stereo, the Humax might drop back to stereo functionality.
Not in my experience: I actually used to leave it on "Multi-channel" deliberately, so that I could adjust the TV volume to match that, then use the Humax volume control to limit the volume of SD broadcasts. It might have changed with the latest update, I switched to "Stereo" when that came out.

:confused:

Not so with mine:-

Stereo: SD - yes; HD - yes
Digital: SD - yes; HD - no

Just a thought - could it depend on whether a 5.1 sound source was being transmitted at the time? If the HD channel was only stereo, the Humax might drop back to stereo functionality.
I have just checked this again whilst the 5.1 ch audio test was playing on BBC HD, and got the same results that I got yesterday. The Humax volume control works via HDMI to my TV with either of the Digital Audio Output settings, but Not via optical output to my AV amp.

I've changed to stereo and now the volume seems to be working fine.
Just wish I could get the hummy remote to do pass through like my old OneForAll.
That way volume keys would work the volume of the TV regardless of which device is selected !!

My old oneforall (7555) doesn't want to learn the hummy's remote commands for some reason :(

As you seem to have found out from your other thread on this is probably due to it running out of learning mode memory.

OK I've 'woken' this thread up as the subject of volume control on the Hummy while outputting Audio in Multi Channel mode has arisen again Here (Click) and it seems that some people are not able to control volume on the Hummy when Multi Channel audio is set and others are as per Brians post #8. I would like to have my box working like Brians so to preserve the original topic we can carry on the debate here.

Right first thing to check - @Brian we're in the HDR forum so sorry to ask the obvious but just to re-confirm before we get started again you get the volume working on your Hummy remote in both audio modes via an HDMI cable to your TV as per your post #8 on the HDR, regardless of whether you're watching SD or HD with or without 5.1 soundtrack? I want to do this but it wont do that on mine!!!!:(

OK I've 'woken' this thread up as the subject of volume control on the Hummy while outputting Audio in Multi Channel mode has arisen again Here (Click) and it seems that some people are not able to control volume on the Hummy when Multi Channel audio is set and others are as per Brians post #8. I would like to have my box working like Brians so to preserve the original topic we can carry on the debate here.
Since my post #8 above, I have replaced my TV and am still getting the same results. I can't understand why other people seem to be having a problem.

I'll have to try all the options again on my box - maybe something has changed since I last tried it all that time ago. If we all have the same boxes, and you've had the same result with two different TV's then what's left is the cable? It surely couldn't be that could it?

Right first thing to check - @Brian we're in the HDR forum so sorry to ask the obvious but just to re-confirm before we get started again you get the volume working on your Hummy remote in both audio modes via an HDMI cable to your TV as per your post #8 on the HDR, regardless of whether you're watching SD or HD with or without 5.1 soundtrack? I want to do this but it wont do that on mine!!!!:(
I only have the HD channels tuned into my HDR-FOX T2 boxes so can't comment on SD, but otherwise yes everything in post #8 still works with my new TV.

I'll have to try all the options again on my box - maybe something has changed since I last tried it all that time ago. If we all have the same boxes, and you've had the same result with two different TV's then what's left is the cable? It surely couldn't be that could it?
It seems that the HDMI standard supports a number of different audio types simultaneously so perhaps the Humax is outputting both types and the TV may or may not be able to receive the appropriate one.

Just for the record the TV's that I have had it working with are a cheap LOGIX FullHD 1080p set from Aldi (made by BEKO), and a SAMSUNG 6 Series.

It seems that the HDMI standard supports a number of different audio types simultaneously so perhaps the Humax is outputting both types and the TV may or may not be able to receive the appropriate one.

As Tv's with DD decoders are very rare there must a lpcm source on hdmi as well, otherwise most will get zilch audio. If you connect by a s/pdif to an amp without DD decoding you get zilch until you turn on the downmix to lpcm stereo option.

OK, my situation is this (HDR-FOX connected to LG 32LD690 by HDMI):

Set audio preference to multi-channel, tune to BBC1 HD. Humax volume control slides the on-screen bar but no change to the sound from the TV. Switch back to stereo, the volume changes with the on-screen slider.

Back