HDD Problem

We've already established that the HDR Fox T2 won't work with 1.5 Gbps,
Oh yes, that's right. In this very thread
so I don't really know why you are advocating slugging drives to do so.
because it has been mentioned several times before about WD drives and unfortunately I found a recent one by GLT.

The new HDD has arrived today. I suppose doing a clone of the dodgy one is the best procedure? I used Macrium Reflect which does a pretty good job. I belive Windows 10 can read EXT file system files but I'll be starting from scratch. Any other simpler suggestions would be appreciated. I can boot a laptop into Ubuntu or Mint if that's a better option. Just thinking, if I put the new drive in the T2 It'll do the necessary to format and initialise the drive. Could I then do a simple copy and paste of the files I want to keep?

Pete

Yes, assuming you have a USB-SATA dock that you can use for the old disk, or can put it in a PC and share it. With either the on-screen or the WebIf GUI it could be rather tedious unless the precious files are few or corralled into a small set of directories. Although it may not be relevant to your particular disks there are also tools that may be able to recover all or most of some precious file that straddles flaky sectors.

Not really relevant, but booting into Ubuntu or MInt is always a better option ...

Yes, assuming you have a USB-SATA dock that you can use for the old disk, or can put it in a PC and share it. With either the on-screen or the WebIf GUI it could be rather tedious unless the precious files are few or corralled into a small set of directories. Although it may not be relevant to your particular disks there are also tools that may be able to recover all or most of some precious file that straddles flaky sectors.

Not really relevant, but booting into Ubuntu or MInt is always a better option ...
OK. Time to get my hands dirty and see how I get on.

Thanks.

Just thinking, if I put the new drive in the T2 It'll do the necessary to format and initialise the drive. Could I then do a simple copy and paste of the files I want to keep?
That would be the way I would do it although I would be tempted to use rsync.

Connect old HDD via USB and copy relevant contents to newly fitted HDD.

Until you have either re-installed WebIF (etc), or transferred it from the old drive, you only have the portion of CF installed in flash to play with, and I presume that includes enough to rsync. If it doesn't, then you would need to boot from the old disk with the newly formatted disk on USB.

For that reason I would prefer to re-install WebIF from scratch, and then there is no problem copying the old disk from USB.

Last edited:
I decided to try using Macrium Reflect to do a clone. So far, so good but it's going to take about 12.5 hours doing a sector copy so I suppose that means copying blank sectors as well. I'll be able to see if it worked early hours tomorrow.

Well that failed after eight hours. I've got the new drive in the machine and installed the CFW HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf. Try again.

Last edited:
I've got the new drive in the machine and installed the CFW HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf
You're barking up the wrong tree. The .hdf file installs to flash not the HDD, changing the HDD does not remove the custom firmware from flash.

Cloning could work: duplicating the exact detail of an existing working disk should produce another identical working disk... but "working" is the operative word. Cloning a faulty disk also clones the faults.

Because you seem confused by all this, let me set it out simply:
  1. Fit new disk;
  2. Turn on - new disk should be recognised and offered to format - click yes (if format isn't offered automatically - because you've initialised the drive elsewhere - do it through the menus... at which point you will discover whether the drive is recognised at all);
  3. Access WebIF, should be at installation page - install.
Only now are you ready to import from the old drive. At this point you have a choice: either set up your CF packages and configuration from scratch (I prefer this, because it avoids importing faults and dross); or try to import from the old drive. If you want to import the CF configuration from the old drive, see instructions prpr linked to above. Otherwise, set up the CF to your requirements.

Finally, if you haven't imported your recordings in the process above, you can hook up the old drive by USB and either play the old recordings from the old drive, or copy them in by several methods... but it will take hours or days.

Last edited:
If you're doing it my way, don't do step 3.
My way copies recordings and packages/settings. You just fire it off and leave it (if you run it under abduco then you can even disconnect the PC).

What did "that failed" mean? I wouldn't do a sector copy for stuff like this anyway, which is why...

It wouldn't be unexpected that a physical copy would fail if the source is a known bad disk.

For such a source you need a copying program that can recover from bad sectors, but who knows if Macrium's product does that when cloning (there does seem to be an option to ignore bad sectors when imaging). Whereas rsync will just fail to copy affected files and won't complain about bad sectors that are not in use.

However if fixdisk has been used, there may be files that once had bad sectors but now have zeroed sectors instead: you should have the logs (/mnt/hd3/...), but otherwise this is a problem that can only be addressed by human eyeball and earhole or "it's only telly".

Roughly how long does it normally take to format a 1TB hdd in an HDR T2?

I've put a new drive (Seagate ST1000VM002) in my spare box to format it to save tying up my main box, and it has had 'processing' with a rotating icon on the screen for about 5 hours now. It has 1.03.12 standard firmware on it.

Never had to format a HDR Fox T2 before and would appreciate some advice, please.

Roughly how long does it normally take to format a 1TB hdd in an HDR T2?
A few minutes.
I've put a new drive (Seagate ST1000VM002) in my spare box to format it to save tying up my main box, and it has had 'processing' with a rotating icon on the screen for about 5 hours now. It has 1.03.12 standard firmware on it.
That it is far too long; stop it and try again.

Back