Hdmi issue with Bravia

gat

Hi,
I recently replaced my 2009 Panasonic tv with a 2017 Bravia. My humax is configured to auto power down/up (standby) at 0200/0700. This all worked ok with my old tv except on the odd occassion i would get a green screen when switching on my tv but this was rare.
However with the bravia it seems to be a lot worse. Whenever i switch on the tv for the first time during the day and switch to the humax input there is no hdmi signal (blank screen with error message). The only way to rectify this is to switch the humax to standby for about 3os and then it all works. It will work ok for the rest of the day even if both tv and humax are switched in/out of standby. However, the next day the whole cycle starts again. It seem that the auto power cycle of the humax does something with the hdmi that my tv does not like. I am using same hdmi cable as used on the panny and i have tried different cables but it makes no difference. Any ideas?

Do you need to have the Humax on 19 hours a day? I'm guessing the Humax fails to establish a handshake with the new TV between 2am and 7am and only tries again after the 30 second power cycle

There is a long history of different makes/models of TV not getting along with the HDR-FOX (or vice versa). It generally boils down to disagreements about the exact protocols required for establishing HDMI link security (required for any HDMI link between HiDef capable devices). If the HDMI link gets dropped, the HDR-FOX stops sending until another HDCP handshake is triggered.

You could try powering down the TV instead of just setting it to standby.

More info: Glossary (click), entry "HDCP".

Apolgies but i have just remembered that i did try the humax with the auto power cycle switched off and it made no difference. Therefore it fails even if humax is on for 24hrs.
Let me explain the issue again...
- Humax on all of the time
- Switch on tv for 1st time during the day and switch to humax hdmi input
- Tv has blank screen and says no hdmi signal
- Switch humax to standby for 30s+
- Now works ok and continues to work all day even if i switch tv and/or humax in/out of standby
- problem re-occurs next day

The tv only has standby, unless i unplug from wall. Perhaps it goes into a deep sleep after several hours of standby, which then causes the hdmi h/s problem? Unfortunately sony don't provide a detailed manual for their newer tvs.

It could be worth you trying a different loader, a7.34 is the latest and I can send you a link to download it if you're interested.
The only problem with a loader update is that you need to take every precaution that power isn't lost during the operation, although on the plus side it only takes a few seconds.

Ok, i'll give it a try if you send me the link. I always thought my Humax was completely up to date, obviously not.
Thanks.

Apolgies but i have just remembered that i did try the humax with the auto power cycle switched off and it made no difference. Therefore it fails even if humax is on for 24hrs.
Have you tried it with auto power cycle switched off AND with the Humax in standby when not it use?, i.e. normal operation

Yes, if the tv is on and then i bring the humax out of standby then all is fine. The problem seems to be when the tv is off (for several hours) and then i bring the humax out of standby before the tv.

It could be worth you trying a different loader, a7.34 is the latest and I can send you a link to download it if you're interested.
My problematic one is on a7.30. I'm not actively using it any more so I wouldn't mind trying this to see if it makes any difference. I promise to power it from the UPS for the duration :).

I'm curious what difference the loader version could make to the operational aspects of the HDR-FOX.

The tv only has standby, unless i unplug from wall. Perhaps it goes into a deep sleep after several hours of standby, which then causes the hdmi h/s problem? Unfortunately sony don't provide a detailed manual for their newer tvs

Buy one of those standby sockets and use that to swit h the tv on and off. You can set it to use the same codes as your tv.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00400ONBI/

This is interesting. I swapped the HDD from a HDR with boot loader v7.34 last week because I was getting a regular 'green screen' issue. The HDR I moved the HDD into has loader v7.33.

I have not had ANY 'green screen' issues since.

FWIW, I also have another HDR with loader v7.30, that is also 'green screen' free. I use a 6x2 HDMI splitter too.

All units are fed via an APC UPS.

This is interesting. I swapped the HDD from a HDR with boot loader v7.34 last week because I was getting a regular 'green screen' issue. The HDR I moved the HDD into has loader v7.33.
Yes, a higher version isn't necessarily better, just different!

:) I assumed "loader" was just that - the bootstrap program - but if it's "bootstrap++" I can see the point.

I wouldn't mind trying to 'downgrade' my spare HDR from loader v7.34 to v7.33 if it is possible. That would be a good test to see if the green screen issue is indeed related to the boot loader.

On the face of it, v7.33 seems to be compatible with my setup.

I guess that this could be why some users have this problem more than others. The combination of bootloader version and their particular TV system etc.

Back