HDMI No signal

Jeddy

Hi, I'm new here and could do with some information if someone could oblige please?

I've finally forked out and bought a new HD TV (Samsung 8000) and to replace my faithful Toppy I was pointed in the direction of the T2 which I have also just bought.

However I'm having problems with the TV displaying No Signal from the HDMI port. The problem is actually nicely described on forums digitalspy co uk thread 1465515 although that thread is now rather out of date.

Was this problem ever fixed? If not, I guess I have a Hummy to return.

I believe my firmware was something like 1.03.06?

If it hasn't been fixed, can someone comment on whether it would be fixed in the new 2000?

Thanks,
Jeddy

You can't necessarily blame the Humax or the Samsung, the HDMI spec is too loose and open to interpretation by the different manufacturers for it to be a universal standard.

First you need to confirm the Humax is definitely not broken - can you hook it up to another TV?

Then you need to confirm the TV is not broken - can you hook a different HDMI source (eg DVD player) to the same socket?

Having confirmed the above, ensure you are selecting the correct HDMI input on the TV, and try different HDMI inputs. With the TV on, try turning the Humax off (wait for a bit) and turn it on again.

I have two Sumsung EH5000s connected to HDR-FOXes and they're fine.

It's also worth pressing the V-Format button on the remote to cycle through different modes. You might find that one works.

I accept that the problem is the Samsung - Humax HDMI i/f, however looking at the digitalspy thread people are reporting the same problem with other makes of TVs too.
As per the other thread, the problem happens at the start of the day, once you've managed to get the two talking they are fine for the rest of the day. As far as I'm aware the TV does nothing overnight, while I believe the Hummy does housekeeping, download EPG overnight.
I think that rules out physical problems with HDMI on either product.I've tried turning both TV off and Hummy off while leaving the other on and neither works, the only think I've found is turning the TV on, and then after a few seconds turn on the Hummy. If you don't do that, you have to turn the TV off, then do it!
I think tonight I'll leave the Hummy turned on and I suspect that tomorrow I'll have no problems.

Interesting to hear about the EH5000's though.

Thanks for the V Format suggestion, I have indeed tried that although I believe the TV supports all the formats the Hummy can send.

Jeddy

The switch of VFORMAT resolution should force the HDMI to re-sync.

In summary, you are not alone - we have heard of many cases like this. Sometimes introducing an HDMI switch or a surround-sound amp into the circuit solves the problem. It is worth trying other TV inputs too.

Thanks, I did spend a while earlier today trying vformat - must have gone around a 10 or so times, but that's not working for me I'm afraid.
Yesterday I did try another HDMI port on the TV, again no joy. The TV has no scarts and 1 port I can connect a scart input to via a converter - but that has my trusty Toppy connected to it (I did connect the Hummy to it at one point to confirm the Hummy was even working and it did work ok on that, but I didn't buy an expensive TV and HD PVR to connect them with scart).
The only other option is trying to get the hang of the timing - oh, and teach others in the house the same.
I'm surprised that the HDMI specification isn't tied down tightly enough so as to prevent problems.
Jeddy

You can daisy-chain the T2 through the Toppy to the TV using the two SCART sockets on the Toppy.

For what it is worth I need to turn my Foxsat on first before turning the TV on (or switching it to the Foxsat HDMI input).

Thanks for the information about daisy-chaining, I didn't know that, but as I mentioned, using scart with an expensive HD TV starts to defeat the object of the exercise.
I did leave the Hummy turned on all last night and as expected, I had no problems today. I also tried turning Hummy off and on again and still no problem. To my mind this strengthens my opinion that the Hummy is doing something overnight which upsets the connection.

I think tonight I'll turn the Hummy off and power it off at the mains - I'm guessing again I'll have no problem tomorrow (once I remember why the Hummy isn't working at all!!!)

Jeddy

I wonder if it's something to do with the housekeeping? I have always wondered why I have to press the 'on' button on my Foxsat HDR remote twice to get it to fire up in the morning, whereas after I have 'switched it off' with the remote, it only takes one press to fire it up again. No big deal, but strange.

Or it could be the remote control is suffeting from sticky-buttonitis? Does the PVR light up both times before the Foxsat fires up?

No. When I press the button, nothing happens 'till I press it again. Having said that, I just tried it to find out, and it fired up on the first press. When it is 'dodgy', I don't think it's buttonitis as it is (usually) repeatable. Anyway, no major problem and a bit off topic.

I too have this problem with an LG set. Try changing channels and then turning off with the remote and then quickly back on again. I have also found that turning on by pressing just a channel button works 90% of the time. Mine also seems to go through spasms of working perfectly and then periods of not working.

Hope that helps.

I think tonight I'll turn the Hummy off and power it off at the mains - I'm guessing again I'll have no problem tomorrow (once I remember why the Hummy isn't working at all!!!)

Jeddy

I was wrong! I powered off the Hummy at the mains last night, plugged it back in this morning, powered it up and the TV didn't recognise the HDMI port. So from my brief experiment I have a problem if it is powered off overnight. Can anyone make sense of this?
Jeddy

What do you mean "TV didn't recognise the HDMI port"? Did you try switching source on the TV away from then back to the that HDMI input with the Hummy turned on all the while?

What do you mean "TV didn't recognise the HDMI port"? Did you try switching source on the TV away from then back to the that HDMI input with the Hummy turned on all the while?
Sorry, that's not well phrased is it! I meant I got the no signal message on the TV. Indeed, I tried switching the TV to other sources (all ok) and back to the HDMI input1 several times, tried the v-format about 20 times (checking I ended up on 1080i by using the scart) and still no signal, I also moved the HDMI cable to input 2/3 - powered off / on TV and hummy (as no immediate joy when I selected those ports) - still no joy. I've tried turning the TV off and back on and the Hummy on shortly afterwards numerous times today with various delays from 1 sec to 10 secs (which worked the other day) and I can't get it to work at all today - no Hummy to TV via HDMI full stop.

I have always wondered why I have to press the 'on' button on my Foxsat HDR remote twice to get it to fire up in the morning, whereas after I have 'switched it off' with the remote, it only takes one press to fire it up again. No big deal, but strange.
I'm wondering if two presses of the on button could be replaced by one long press, as remotes repeat the pattern continuously and maybe the unit actually requires on + on before reacting

Curious. Neither my native Foxsat remote nor my Harmony need long key presses to turn it on nor is the Harmony programmed to send more than one instance of the code (an option which I do need and use for other devices such as my Samsung TV).

@jeddy
Have you got any other gear hooked up to the tv via hdmi?
Posted on the move

Nope, the Hummy is the only thing.
Having said which I did just try connecting a Freesat box to the TV and that works fine through the same HDMI1.
Reconnected the Hummy, still No Signal at HDMI1.

Here's another question though, how come I get the Hummy startup screen - to my mind that demonstrates that the hardware and cable is fine, it's only after the initial Hummy screen (and I think a flash of green), that the signal gets lost.

Back