HDR-2000T or HDR-FOX T2?

johnb

I have just got round to getting a HDR-Fox T2 when I see there is a new product, the HDR-2000T. I can get the HDR-Fox T2 for £150 or the new HDR-2000T for around £170.

Are there any drawbacks or benefits with the newer model?

The newer model has a faster CPU (which doesn't really have any benefit), It also has more catch-up services like 40D etc.. however the HDR-Fox T2 has a front display a variety of extra features, If I were you I would pick the HDR-Fox T2 every time as it also has the benefit of the Custom Firmware. I have posted a comparison between the two models HERE

Yes it is compatable with IPTV and can recieve at least some of the LCN 200 channels.

My HDR-Fox T2 recently packed up under warranty and I was offered an HDR-2000T as a replacement. Having lived with the latter for a month, right now I'd swap it back for an HDR-Fox T2. The lack of an on-standby UHF pass through means that I've had to split the lead from the aerial (no big deal admittedly). I've also posted elsewhere in this forum about the HDR-2000T causing loss of ARC functionality between TV and sound system, and the HDMI handshake failing between Humax and Sony TV if the Humax comes out of standby before the TV. None of these problems occurred with the HDR-Fox T2. Having said that, they may all be curable by a firmware upgrade, in which case I'd put the two machines neck-and-neck. I like the visual display of the HDR-Fox T2, and the custom firmware is brilliant, but I also like the ability of the HDR-2000T to write via the USB to an NTFS drive.

I looked. TBF there were only one or two I hadn't noticed - one of them explaining why I'm no longer asked if I want to save a YouTube stream! That alone commends the Fox T2 with CF.

I'm looking for a new PVR for my parents for Christmas. I have an HDR Fox T2 with custom firmware and I'm generally happy with it, though my old Toppy running mystuff still manages series recording and timer clashes better.

So is the FOX T2 still the preferred option over the HDR 2000T? Did is see something about new firmware being available? I take it that youview is still not a serious option?

I would say the HDR-Fox T2 is still the preferred PVR if you can find one, there is newer firmware for the 2000T, but this has not been 'Customised' so you can't benefit from any CFW for the 2000T, however I think it is still more desirable than the Humax YouView box, which I don't think has any advantages over the 2000T at all

Thanks for your replies. There are still quite a few T2's on sale, but often priced a little higher than the 2000t, which says a lot about which is better. Are there any benefits of the 2000t over the T2, does it have more in the way of on demand services for example? BBC iplayer is great on the T2, but it would be great if the other main channels were available (this presumably being the only benefit of the YouView box?)

There are still quite a few T2's on sale, but often priced a little higher than the 2000t, which says a lot about which is better. Are there any benefits of the 2000t over the T2, does it have more in the way of on demand services for example?
Advantages of the HDR-2000T: The user interface is significantly more responsive (things like scrolling through the guide) compared to the HDR-FOX T2. They have write support for NTFS out of the box, software update is over the Internet , via USB or OTA. The IPTV channels work. Humax have issued software updates to fix most of the teething problems. You can buy one new with a two year warranty. The portal has similar functionality to the HDR-FOX T2. You said this was for your parents; if they want a decent out of the box PVR then the HDR-2000T is worth considering.

Advantages of the HDR-2000T: The user interface is significantly more responsive (things like scrolling through the guide) compared to the HDR-FOX T2. They have write support for NTFS out of the box, software update is over the Internet , via USB or OTA. The IPTV channels work. Humax have issued software updates to fix most of the teething problems. You can buy one new with a two year warranty. The portal has similar functionality to the HDR-FOX T2. You said this was for your parents; if they want a decent out of the box PVR then the HDR-2000T is worth considering.
I'm not sure the IPTV channels will be much use to them, but the faster EPG would be, I find it a tad slow myself sometimes. So as I understand, the real benefits of the T2 is the custom firmware which gives the ability to decrypt HD recordings and copy them to an external drive and the remote access. Was there anything else?

How similar is the software on both machines? One advantage of getting them a T2 is that I have one at home, so it makes it easier to troubleshoot any problems over the phone. Are there any reliability issues with the 200T, I know there are lots with the youview boxes?

So as I understand, the real benefits of the T2 is the custom firmware which gives the ability to decrypt HD recordings and copy them to an external drive and the remote access.
Lots of other things; my favourites are the ability to restore the recording schedule after a retune, the ability to control the fan speed and the ability to keep an eye on the health of the hard drive and to sort out many possible file system problems with fix-disk.

How similar is the software on both machines?
Very similar.

I don't know why it should be so, but my T2 would often miss the first 30 seconds of a programme. My 2000T never seems to. That's a worthwhile improvement.

Is that a like-for-like comparison? If it is based on both units using Accurate Recording there is no reason at all why there should be a difference. If you are using auto-padding, then you should set the pre-padding time to allow for the possibility of programmes starting early (which they do at times).

Although it's been a long time since I set up the T2, I think it is like-for-like. I say that because my recollection is that neither machine allows you to have both series recordings and padding, and I opted for the former.

Back