HDR Fox and networking

Geoff

Hi, I am a new member to this site, so hello to everyone, here goes!
I have an Iomega 1tb hard drive connected to my fox via usb.
My fox has a wired network connection to a BT home hub.
I am running windows xp on my laptop.
I cannot see fox on my network but I can ftp it via internet explorer and get the: music, pictures, video and Iomega folders displayed.
I can copy files from fox & Iomega to my pc but fox or Iomega will not allow me to copy to them from pc.
I would like to know if there is a quicker, more efficient way of networking with the fox/Iomega and how I can modify files on them from my pc.
Thanks to all for reading
Geoff

The first question on my mind is what format is your Iomega drive? If it's FAT32, you can't copy files larger than 4GB to it, although the Humax will try and not bother to tell you there has been an error. If it's NTFS, the Humax can only read from it not write to it. If you intend to dedicate a drive to be permanently connected to the Humax, you need to format it as Ext3 - a format tool is available in the Settings menu - but then you won't be able to read it plugged into a Windows PC unless you install a driver.

Unless you install the modified firmware and run Samba (and there are problems with that for files over 4GB as well at the moment), the only access you have to the Humax over the network is FTP.

Thanks for that Black Hole,
I haven't formatted the Iomega since i got it and it was shipped NTFS.
I cannot reformat as I have no where to backup my files to .
I would appreciate it if you could explain a little more about the 'modified firmware' and 'Samba'?
Will it allow me to write to the Iomega from fox and also from my pcvia ftp?

Thanks
geoff

You could take a look here.

It really is very easy to set up. I recommend that you install the Web Interface on your Hummy after you have installed the custom firmware. It will make installing other packages much easier.

It really is worth doing IMOHO.

I would appreciate it if you could explain a little more about the 'modified firmware' and 'Samba'?
Will it allow me to write to the Iomega from fox and also from my pcvia ftp?
If you take a read through the link supplied you will see there is a lot of work going on to add facilities (rather than actually hack the Humax code itself), and the installation process is low-risk. Not done it myself yet, see thread "Black Hole's Trail Guide..."

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/black-holes-trail-guide-to-hdr-fox-t2-hacking.354/

Samba is the Linux method to make local drives accessible on a Windows network. It is buggy at the moment. NTFS write-compatibility is a work-in-progress.

Frankly, I would be inclined to get another drive to dedicate to the Humax and format it Ext3. I got a 320GB Buffalo Ministation for £36 off-the-shelf from Tesco.

Wallace,
I uploaded the official firmware 1.02.20 and then the modified firmware (renamed) at the weekend. It is suggested that after installation the ftp server should allow me to see the whole file system, but all I can see is the contents of the media directory and drive 1 as before. I have checked the software version in the settings menu and it shows 1.02.20. Are there any other mods that I should have made?
Thanks
geoff

Can you not navigate UP the directory tree on the Humax using your FTP client? The standard FTP client on the Humax does not permit this, but the modified client does.

@Geoff
Are you sure that you have installed the customised firmware? As fenlander points out, it seems that it has not been loaded. Did you use the mod 1.09 version of the custom f/w?

Geoff,

You should now be able to point a web browser at it. This should allow you to install new applications e.g 'webif' which will give much more functionality.

The version you see on-screen will still be 1.02.20 since the Humax application has not changed.

PS. I have not tried this new web installation facility - it is new in mod. version 1.09 firmware.

@Geoff
Are you sure that you have installed the customised firmware? As fenlander points out, it seems that it has not been loaded. Did you use the mod 1.09 version of the custom f/w?

I did install the custom f/w after renaming it, so I am pretty surwe that it has installed.

Could anyone recommend which would be the best web browser to use? All I have done is map it as a new drive on the network, then access it through my network. Is this not the right method?

Thanks
Geoff

I use Firefox v5.01. I just enter the Hummy's IP address in the address bar and away you go. If you have installed the Web Interface that is. I initially used PuTTy to install the packages, including the Webif.

Thanks Wallace, and I presume that the 'web interface' you refer to was contained within the custom f/w?

Use this link for further packages and help in installing them. If I were you, I would only install the Webif (Web Interface). Once that is running, use your browser (I use Firefox) to install more packages through the Webif. The Web Interface defaults to showing you only the basic packages that the inexperienced user might need without overwhelming you with stuff you will never need.

Click here for the link.

HTH.

I stand corrected. I installed the full Webif at the same time from the PuTTy command line and hadn't realised that.
That should make it easier.

I use Firefox v5.01. I just enter the Hummy's IP address in the address bar and away you go. If you have installed the Web Interface that is. I initially used PuTTy to install the packages, including the Webif.
Sorry for being dumb but what is the 'web interface'?
How do I install it?
Thanks Geoff

Use this link for further packages and help in installing them. If I were you, I would only install the Webif (Web Interface). Once that is running, use your browser (I use Firefox) to install more packages through the Webif. The Web Interface defaults to showing you only the basic packages that the inexperienced user might need without overwhelming you with stuff you will never need.

http://www.hummypkg.org.uk/

HTH.
OK so I have downloaded ftp commander and can ftp the hummy and the complete tree. I have downloaded 'webif', how do I install and use it please?

Thanks Geoff

Geoff, you don't need to use ftp commander or anything else at the moment. You just need to type the ip address of the Hummy into your web browser, then press the button to install the full web interface and you're done.

I'm sure the web browser that you are currently using to browse this site will be OK for this without installing a new version of Firefox. If you don't know the ip address see below.

To find the ip address using the Humax's menu system select: Menu, Settings, System, Internet Setting, Configure LAN

Back