HDR Fox and networking

@Geoff
As xyx321 says, you don't need anything other than a browser at the moment. The important thing is that you know the IP address of the Humax box.

Silly question, but the Humax IS connected to your network, right?

I think Geoff's alrady mentioned that he's connected it to the network as he's mapped a drive to it.
I think the confusion is coming from how to load up the web interface page.

Geoff: Load up your web browser and type in the address field the IP address of the Humax (example: 192.168.0.2).
If you have the web interface installed, this will load up the page, otherwise you will get a 404 page not found error or similar.
From there its pretty self explanitory, but the webif thread explains most of it.

That's why I said it's a silly question. Some times it's the simplest things! Been there and got the T-shirt!

xyz321
I am getting too old for this lark!
I used to be quite happy hacking windows mce tuners, now I can't even do this!
So, I have typed the I.P address of the hummy (192.168.1.164) into the search bar of internet explorer and pressed return, what should I be seeing now?
Can anyone give me access to a screen shot of the web interface?

thanks
geoff

Dont put it in the search box, put it in the address box..
You should get the Humax Webif page. If not, its not installed.

I am guessing then that the web interface is not installed. Is this installed on the humax via usb or onto my pc?

Thanks
Geoff

Hi everyone,

I may be missing something obvious, but is it possible to stream directly from the Humax HDR-Fox t2 to a Windows 7 laptop in Windows Media Player without the need for any third party software or codecs?

I have trying for what feels like forever but with no luck at all. I can stream from Windows 7 and XP to the Hummy no problem, Windows Media Player 'sees' the Hummy and recognises it but cannot see any video files (SD or HD) to play. My 2 PC's running XP & 7 connect fine and even my android HTC Desire 'sees' the Hummy but again will not see any video files, but I can stream from my HTC Desire to any PC, confussed?? I am!

I have tried dynamic or static IP address's on the Hummy, I have tried Wireless or Hardwired, it all makes no difference. I have downloaded & tried all sorts of codecs (K-Lite, Windows 7 codec pack). I have tried XBMC and Boxee but again, they can 'see' the Hummy but no files. Am I going mad or missing something obvious?

Any help? Please?:confused:

I am guessing then that the web interface is not installed. Is this installed on the humax via usb or onto my pc?

Thanks
Geoff

Don't worry. If I can help I will. I am new to this too! I am sure that goes for everyone else here too. That's the general Idea of a forum, to help and inform.

It sounds like the Webif (Web interface) is not installed.

It is installed on the Humax not the PC. However, when it is installed you view it on the PC. You type in the IP address of your Humax and a page appears in your internet browser. You can use it then to view the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) and a host of other things. It has to be said it's still a work in progress, but it is very good and looks very professional too!

You say you have upgraded the Humax firmware to the latest version (1.02.20). Good. I assume you have downloaded the custom firmware too. Rename the custom firmware file to: HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf

Place the renamed custom firmware on a USB stick (preferable one you have used successfully with the Humax before as not all will work apparently).

Follow the upgrade instructions as if you were upgrading the original Humax firmware. I.E.

Update Instructions

- Power OFF the product using the rear ON/OFF switch
- Download the software and save on a USB Pen*
- Make sure the filename is hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf
- Insert the USB Pen to the front or rear USB port on the product
- Power ON the product using the rear ON/OFF switch
- The download should start and the download progress should appear on the TV set; allow 5 minutes for the update to complete.
- When the update is complete End will appear on the front display, "Download Successful will appear on the TV.
- Remove USB Pen and press standby

You should, I believe, now be able to use your web browser of choice (Firefox for me!) to enter the IP address of your Humax (in the address bar NOT the search box) and the basic Web interface of the Humax should appear.

If it does not then it's possible you have the wrong IP address for the Humax or the custom firmware hasn't loaded.

HTH.

I may be missing something obvious, but is it possible to stream directly from the Humax HDR-Fox t2 to a Windows 7 laptop in Windows Media Player without the need for any third party software or codecs? <snip>

This is completely off-topic. There are several threads already which deal with this, please direct your attention there:

Searching for the Perfect DLNA Client (Windows)
Streaming with Windows 7
How do I stream to PC?

...and the get-me-up-to-speed:

Black Hole's Trail Guide to HDR-FOX T2 Hacking
FAQ: Index to Existing Informative Threads
FAQ: Glossary of Terms

Black hole,
I have read through all threads suggested. I just find it frustrating that I have done everything correctly but still cannot experience what you and other members are experiencing!

In which case you are the first to report failure with the modified firmware set. I can't give you any better steer, not having done it myself, but it does give us cause to worry when you say things like putting the Humax' IP address in the search bar.

Well I just tried it with v1.09 firmware and it worked fine.

Geoff, What version of Windows are you using?

Screenshots of the initial basic web interface followed by its downloading screen below:

webif-basic.pngwebif-install.png

Geoff, if you have FTP working, try downloading the file /etc/modversion. It should contain 109 if version 1.09 of the mod has been installed.

That's great, that helps me too. I can summarise all the summaries:
  1. Check the internet settings on the Humax menus to find out what IP address it is (something like 192.168.0.65), and change "DHCP" to "Manual".
  2. Turn on FTP access in the menus, and confirm you can use a networked PC to read the Humax directories by FTP (see Trail Guide for details).
  3. Install / reinstall 1.02.20 firmware by USB (load onto a USB stick in the top directory and make sure it is named HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf).
  4. Delete 1.02.20 from the USB stick, load 1.09 modified firmware and rename it HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf, boot the Humax with it.
  5. Fire up a web browser on the networked PC, put the Humax IP address in the ADDRESS BAR, and bingo you should get the first screen shot in post #34. The rest can be done from your web browser using the on-line package manager.

Geoff, if you have FTP working, try downloading the file /etc/modversion. It should contain 109 if version 1.09 of the mod has been installed.

I can see /etc/modversion in the tree and if I double click on it, it does show 109

Geoff

I can see /etc/modversion in the tree and if I double click on it, it does show 109
OK, so the mod has been successfully installed. I think you may have a networking/firewall problem. How is you network arranged? Are you using WiFi for some/all of the connections? Which make/model of router are you using?

Hummy is hard wired to network using cat5.
pc uses a tp-link wireless dongle
I have now connected the hummy directly to pc using cat5 as suggested by black hole
When i enter the address: ftp://192.168.1.164 in internet explorer I get a page with the heading: ftp root at 192.168.1.164. with the root directory shown below it
When when i try to view in windows explorer i get the message: 'the folder ftp://192.168.1.164 is read only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Geoff

Back