HDR-FOX T2 dead :(

Been away on hols for a week and had left it on standby to record some stuff.
Got back today and the Standby (amber) Ring was lit but it wouldn't power up by touching the power button or via the remote. I switched it off with the rocker switch on the back, left it a few moments and switched it on but now, no amber ring or anything.
I've checked with a meter and looks like the PSU is working but Hummy is dead :(
Any ideas? Had been working fine upto then.

disconnect hard drive and fan - see if the board powers up - you even try unplugging the front panel
Turn off aerial power if you use it (in which case unplug the aerial too)

disconnect hard drive and fan - see if the board powers up - you even try unplugging the front panel
Turn off aerial power if you use it (in which case unplug the aerial too)

Just trying that now (sorry, didn't get any emails about new replies after the first reply). Silly question perhaps, but how would I know it was working after disconnecting everything - would there be an output on the HDMI cable?

Yes, the Humax doesn't need a hard disk to output 'live' TV to the HDMI, the HD-Fox T2 is not supplied with a hard disk at all

To add to the above, you do need the front panel board to be connected. I've not done tests with a volt meter; you might be able to detect voltages on the main board with no front board but the unit will not work without it.

You really need a 'scope to check the voltage rails for 'cleanness'. A meter will only tell you the average and if it's got signiifcant ripple on it, a meter won't tell you and the box won't work.

Thanks,
I hadn't though of that! I've got a scope so I will try that tonight. Does anyone know what the voltages on the connector to the main board should be? I'll also keep the front panel board connected when testing again.

Thanks,
I hadn't though of that! I've got a scope so I will try that tonight. Does anyone know what the voltages on the connector to the main board should be? I'll also keep the front panel board connected when testing again.
The PSU of the original version of the HDR-FOX (eight wires from the PSU to the main board) outputs 5.8V and 12V: that's what is printed on the PSU board anyway. The PSU of the revised hardware version (six wires from the PSU to main) only outputs 12V. Presumably 12V is stepped-down to a lower voltage on the main board in the latter case.

The PSU of the original version of the HDR-FOX (eight wires from the PSU to the main board) outputs 5.8V and 12V: that's what is printed on the PSU board anyway. The PSU of the revised hardware version (six wires from the PSU to main) only outputs 12V. Presumably 12V is stepped-down to a lower voltage on the main board in the latter case.

Thanks,
Pretty certain mine is the 8 wire version - I'll have a look tonight and report my findings.
Anyone know if spares are available - or is it just a case of buying second hand ones for spares?

Didn't get round to it last night but checked tonight on the 2 voltage lines with everything connected and am getting these:-TEK0000.JPG TEK0001.JPG

I'm thinking that 0.6v ripple on the 12v line might be a bit excessive perhaps? Anyone happen to know what these are on a working Hummy?
I've been in touch with Humax and they are quoting £120 to repair (presumably that would have 12 months guarantee). I've asked whether spare parts are available too though.

Last edited:
I don't know the Humax innards specifically, but I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the 12V rail. That will be used for things that don't require much regulation. What bothers me is the other rail - I would have expected 5V rather than 6V+. It's possible this is OK and the voltage is further regulated down on the main board.

I just took a look at mine - bearing in mind it is a liitle suspect anyway but I don't see volts as a problem on it -

Using a picoscope 4224 I'm seeing about 60-70mv noise on the 12 volt rail and about 20mv p/p on the 6V lines
That little circuit under the drive at the edge has about 38V on the 3 caps so BH is right - theres quite a bit of
of voltage fiddling on the mobo.

If you power up without the front panel the 6V rail rises to about 10V (dont recommend leaving it offload for long
as I've never seen a circuit of these things so don't know what's done where by what - at your own risk as always)

With the disk drive removed the 12V rail noise rises to about 240mv

PS - I put all new caps on this a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help (do you only get email notifications about the first new reply on here?),
I've found a 2 year old working one on eBay that I've snapped up - the kids can't get their heads around not being able to pause the telly at the moment and not being able to record (and skip the ads) is tiresome but I do love the custom software on my Hummy! (I've had a freeview pvr since the Digifusion FVRT100).
Theory being I'll work out what is wrong with my existing one and then have another for the kitchen telly.
Another question now though, if I put the hard disk out of my existing box into the "new" one (which presumably hasn't got custom software) will that be ok? In other words does the custom software affect the hard disk at all? I will install the custom firmware on the "new" box once I'm happy it's working ok.

I've had a freeview pvr since the Digifusion FVRT100
What a background image that one had out of the box! Luckily there was a fairly active customisation community there too.
Another question now though, if I put the hard disk out of my existing box into the "new" one (which presumably hasn't got custom software) will that be ok?
It won't be able to decrypt any existing encrypted recordings and you'll need to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic to restore flash-based packages and some settings will be lost but it will be broadly fine.

I had the unencrypt package installed (this time I'll make sure I keep a list of all the packages I have installed in case I have to go through it all again) and so pretty much all my recordings should be fine. Are the packages stored on the hard drive too then? (Apart from the flash-based ones)

Back