HDR-FOX T2 HDD Replacement

I have a North Star Horizon S-100 system in the loft from 1979. It was originally a Z80 processor 64KB RAM (although only 56KB was usable) and twin floppy disk drives running UCSD Pascal. I subsequently upgraded it with a Motorola 68000 processor and 1MB of RAM and ultimately a 5MB Rodime hard drive. It was in use until 1980 when I switched to Unix on a 386 PC.

I have a North Star Horizon S-100 system in the loft from 1979. It was originally a Z80 processor 64KB RAM (although only 56KB was usable) and twin floppy disk drives running UCSD Pascal. I subsequently upgraded it with a Motorola 68000 processor and 1MB of RAM and ultimately a 5MB Rodime hard drive. It was in use until 1980 when I switched to Unix on a 386 PC.
Sounds like Trigger's Broom ;)

It was. The joys of trying to edit, debug and run electromagnetic simulation programs using UCSD Pascal with almost no memory.
QUYEC (Quit Update Yes Exit Compile) followed by R (Run) is engraved in my memory.

I'm planning to replace the 2TB drive on my HDR-Fox T2 (running Custom FW and web IF). I've noted that the mod folder needs to be copied from the old drive to the new in order to restore the web IF and config/status of the installed packages, but has anyone been able to confirm whether the instructions in post #2 above work OK?
Code:
cd <folder containing mod on old HDD>
cp -R mod /mnt/hd2

I'm planning to replace the 2TB drive on my HDR-Fox T2 (running Custom FW and web IF). I've noted that the mod folder needs to be copied from the old drive to the new in order to restore the web IF and config/status of the installed packages, [/CODE]
Would this copying mean that with the new disk the machine is identical to the original? in terms of CF

So I have now installed the new disk, connected the old drive in a USB caddy, and was planning to use rsync to copy the contents to the new drive.
I've fallen at the first hurdle, trying to install rsync:
Code:
humax# opkg update
Collected errors:
 * make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod/': File exists.
 * make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod': File exists.
 * rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
humax# opkg install rsync
Unknown package 'rsync'.
Collected errors:
 * make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod/': File exists.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package rsync.
 * opkg_finalize_intercepts: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
Any ideas??

Don't know if this is relevant, but have you completed the standard WebIF installation web page before trying to import the old config?

Ok.....I realised that the Humax was still in Safe Mode, so I rebooted and was able to install rsync.

I've now copyied the mod folder from the old drive to the new:
Code:
rsync -av --exclude Tsr/ /media/drive2/mod/ /media/mod/

Should I have expected this to have restored the WebIF and other packages? (because the WebIF does not appear to be installed).

I doubt rsync of disc contents will restore the flash packages. I'd be looking to run diag fix-flash-packages by telnet or webif, but if neither are working then something will need installing from scratch.

I think I must have misunderstood - I thought that restoring the mod folder from the old drive would restore the packages that I had installed.

I just tried diag fix-flash-packages (followed by a reboot), but pretty much none of the packages were restored. I'll re-install them all manually.....

I've now copyied the mod folder from the old drive to the new:
Code:
rsync -av --exclude Tsr/ /media/drive2/mod/ /media/mod/
That's not exactly what I wrote though, is it?
Should I have expected this to have restored the WebIF and other packages
Yes, if you'd run the correct command. And fix-flash-packages is not necessary on the same machine (but it won't do any harm).

Ah sorry I'd forgotten than you specified cp -R rather than rsync.

I've just tried this and got errors:
Code:
humax# cd /media/drive2
humax# ls
My Music  My Photo  My Video  Tsr  dms_cds.db  lost+found  mod  thumbnail  virtual_disk
humax# cp -R mod /mnt/hd2
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/bin/dropbearmulti': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/bin/epg': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/bin/busybox/busybox': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/recmon': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/portmap': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/rpc.mountd': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/lighttpd': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/atd': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/mdnsd': Text file busy
cannot create regular file `/mnt/hd2/mod/sbin/rpc.statd': Text file busy

This seems to have broken the web IF which I had just manually reinstated (I now get "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" when I point a web browser at the Humax IP address.

So it seems that I've made matters worse :0(

Any ideas for how I can recover the web IF and start again?

Back