HDR Fox T2 losing 1st 10 channels (+ HD equivalents)

Since yesterday (and this is from the Hannington transmitter) I have lost the above from the channel list on reboot or power cycle - on 2 different units. If I do a factory reset and a search for channels they are found fine but immediately I power cycle or power down/up using the remote, they disappear. It doesn't always do it on the latter but seems to on the power cycle.
Bizarrely on a 3rd it has so far (appendages intertwined) been fine.
I am about to try one of the failing units at the aerial point of the working one but wondered if anyone has any other bright ideas
I've seen channels not be available (or allegedly scrambled) before but they have never been removed from the list automagically

well at least I have eliminated the feed - now very twitchy about turning the one tuner that keeps them
BTW this happens before the custom SW is added so at least that isn't to blame

You have tunefix installed (and inappropriately configured). The reboot after retune causes it to kick in and delete services based on the configuration you gave it and presumably forgot about.

Either edit the configuration (IIRC WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for tunefix package), or simply uninstall the tunefix package.

Thanks v much
well that was an education!! - never seen the settings for tunefix before. Ironically I was also going to ask if there was an automagical way of deleting the dross (shopping et al). I did try editing the settings although couldn't see any obvious errors so have removed both tunefix and tunefix-update til I understand things better from all units.

tunefix-update does something different – it tracks such things as services moving to a different LCN or even a different mux, so you don't need to do a retune each time. The name has turned out to be an unfortunate choice, because people keep associating it with tunefix.

Regardless, it is best to have an appreciation of what a package does before installing it! THIS POST gives an overview.

Perhaps you acquired these units pre-configured?

I did try editing the settings although couldn't see any obvious errors
A possible approach which may have found the issue, would have been to compare what tunefix's settings had for the optional "Preferred Region:", and what each mux was after a retune, but before any reboot.

If you now go to the Mux Info page of the WebIf which network, or networks, does it list for your multiplexes?
WebIf >> Diagnostics >> Mux Info

It is certainly odd - I have been running multiple units for many years with tunefix and never had a similar problem before. I wonder if that has been a recent change in the transmitter's output.
Interestingly the MUX info from the unit that hasn't been playing up is as attached

Attachments

• MUX2.jpg
    MUX2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 8
which .config - the one from the units that lost or the one from the one that didn't. If you'd asked for it, I would have done so. One can only do that if oneis aware of where it is held

You've got a mix of transmitters (some from Rowridge and some from Hannington) which is never a good idea.
Sort out that mess first, or just don't put a Preferred Region setting in to tunefix.

HANnigton transmits on
BBC A: 45 D3&4: 42 BBC B: 39 SDN: 40 Arq A: 43 Arq B: 46
Local Mux: 34 Local Mux: 32

ROWridge on
BBC A: 24 D3&4: 27 BBC B: 21 SDN: 25 Arq A: 22 Arq B: 28
Local Mux: 37

First pic is a mix of ROW for the PSBs and HAN for the COMs. Second is all HAN... except for the ch37 local tv from ROW and the HD mux from ROW (duplicates in the 800s??).

Reception of ROW from a HAN directed antenna is likely less than optimal. Manual tune?

It is certainly odd - I have been running multiple units for many years with tunefix and never had a similar problem before. I wonder if that has been a recent change in the transmitter's output.
Interestingly the MUX info from the unit that hasn't been playing up is as attached
Your "Berks & North Hant multiplexes" are from Hannington transmitter.
Your "South" multiplexes are from the Rowridge transmitter.

For the HDR-FOX T2 with the multiple "South" rows, if you don't use padding for your schedule entries, then you will need to retune so that it is receiving from just the 1 transmitter. If you are not using padding and leave it as it is then you will get some failed recordings.

Link to some instructions on how to do this:

If you had posted the .config we might have been able to tell you, but you've edited it now...
I thought that the uninstall doesn't delete the .config file . It may still be accessible via the WebIf's File Editor and clicking on the tunefix link at the bottom of the "Commonly edited files".

The real issue is the miss-tuning which is occurring resulting in a mix of transmitters, so that accurate recording will sometimes fail.

I thought that the uninstall doesn't delete the .config file
Indeed not, but the OP said he'd edited it:
I did try editing the settings although couldn't see any obvious errors
...therefore we wouldn't know its original state.

I found this curious:
I have been running multiple units for many years with tunefix
never seen the settings for tunefix before.

HANnigton transmits on
BBC A: 45 D3&4: 42 BBC B: 39 SDN: 40 Arq A: 43 Arq B: 46
Local Mux: 34 Local Mux: 32

ROWridge on
BBC A: 24 D3&4: 27 BBC B: 21 SDN: 25 Arq A: 22 Arq B: 28
Local Mux: 37

First pic is a mix of ROW for the PSBs and HAN for the COMs. Second is all HAN... except for the ch37 local tv from ROW and the HD mux from ROW (duplicates in the 800s??).

Reception of ROW from a HAN directed antenna is likely less than optimal. Manual tune?
I'm gobsmacked that we can get any signal for ROW - we're SN8 3SS, in a dip and with the ridge of Chute Causeway twixt us and ROW. Obviously the data does not lie though. I wonder if the meteorological conditions are causing it.

Indeed not, but the OP said he'd edited it:

...therefore we wouldn't know its original state.

I found this curious:
I only edited it once you pointed me to the settings - had always assumed its default settings would work ok (hence me discovering then there was a way of removing the dross)

Back