HDR - FOX T2 Not powering up

j3trooper

I have a FOX T2/1T which lately was often difficult to switch on. It now fails to switch on at all.

240v is getting to the PCB so I was hoping that I may be able to see a leaking or bulging capacitor as being the cause but they all look ok.

I am aware doesn't mean that one or more of the capacitors not faulty.

Is there any way to test the PCB, ie what voltage should there be on the connector to the main circuit board.

I am reluctant to discard it as it may just be a simple repair.

Thanks for any help/advice

Attachments

• 20240302_143253_1600x901.jpg
    20240302_143253_1600x901.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240302_143445_1600x901.jpg
    20240302_143445_1600x901.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240302_143517_1600x901.jpg
    20240302_143517_1600x901.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 15
I have a FOX T2/1T which lately was often difficult to switch on. It now fails to switch on at all.

240v is getting to the PCB so I was hoping that I may be able to see a leaking or bulging capacitor as being the cause but they all look ok.

I am aware doesn't mean that one or more of the capacitors not faulty.
Try disconnecting the hard drive, if it then boots up try reading this thread https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/start-up-fails-when-hdd-connected.10164/ which documents a capacitor causing the problem.

I did try powering it up with the hard drive out as in the photo but it still would not switch on, ie no red light on the display.

I had previously read that thread. I could replace all the capacitors on the small PCB.

I wondered if anyone could give me some readings that I could with my multi meter on the connecting lead to the main PCB.

Would you know what other Humax models would have the same PCB's (one or both of them). I would then try and get hold of a used faulty one to swap them.

Thanks for your help

Would you know what other Humax models would have the same PCB's (one or both of them). I would then try and get hold of a used faulty one to swap them.
I think you are limited to an HDR-FOX T2 mother board and there are two types one with the tuners vertical and a later one with the tuners horizontal.

Hello again,

Following on from the thread I started. Would you know if the parts are interchangeable between my HDR - FOX T2 and a HDR - FOX 500gb model (which I can buy used)

I did replace what I initially thought to be a dud rectifier on the PSU PCB but the varnish probably gave me a bad reading when testing the original rectifier in circuit.

Power (12v & 5V) are getting to the main PCB and I can get voltage readings on all the outputs from the main PCB apart from the white square 4 pin connector to the Hard drive.

You mentioned earlier that there are two different types of main PCB, one with the tuners horizontal and the other with them vertical. Would that matter if swopping the Hard drives or if necessary the complete main PCB.

If I can't get my original Hard drive to work and read the video files stored on there then what current twin tuner video recorder would you recommend.

Thanks for your help
j3trooper

Sorry, not been available to give you PSU readings, but it seems like you've made progress.

Power is not routed to the HDD until the board comes out of standby. If the PSU appears to be working, you still don't know whether the fault is actually the front panel module... but it doesn't really matter either way, if you obtain a working HDR-FOX your problem is solved. There is no functional difference between the V1 and V2 hardware (two tuner cans, RF input and output arranged horizontally, or one tuner can with RF input and output arranged vertically).

Swapping the disk over requires a little preparation, see here: Swapping a HDD between HDR-FOXes

There is no functional difference between the V1 and V2 hardware (two tuner cans, RF input and output arranged horizontally, or one tuner can with RF input and output arranged vertically).
Surely there is some difference as I thought you can't use software versions pre 1.03.xx with the horizontal tuners? I agree for the users case it won't matter.

Thanks for reply.

I will try to get hold of a working HDR Fox and initially swop the hard drives. If the video files on my hard drive are encrypted such that they can only be read by my Humax then my thoughts as that I would try to use the Hard drive as an external hard drive.

I think the hard drive is ok as I have removed it and connected to my Windows PC with a USB to Sata hard drive adaptor.

The computer recognises it but only as a new device and I cannot see any files. There is no option in Disk Management to initialise it, create a new volume or format it if I wished to make use of the Hard drive as an external drive. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks again for you help

If the video files on my hard drive are encrypted...
If you've done nothing to prevent it, then they will be. "Prevent" means installing the custom firmware and configuring it appropriately.

...such that they can only be read by my Humax then my thoughts as that I would try to use the Hard drive as an external hard drive.
No real need, CF is as easy as updating the firmware.

The computer recognises it but only as a new device and I cannot see any files.
...because you're using Windows and the HDD is formatted Ext3. I would not advise even connecting it to Windows, you need to use Linux (even if as a live boot). Nonetheless, I don't see why Windows wouldn't be able to reformat it to NTFS or whatever, you just have to go through the right menus.

Thanks for all your replies. I am in the process of buying a used HDR-FOX. When I get mine working again I will look into installing the CF. Thanks again

You can set the new HDR Fox T2 to the same encryption key as your failing one using the web UI. Then all encrypted recordings on the existing disc will be readable. I don't remember details of how the key is set per device but this forum may explain somewhere.

You can set the new HDR Fox T2 to the same encryption key as your failing one using the web UI. Then all encrypted recordings on the existing disc will be readable. I don't remember details of how the key is set per device but this forum may explain somewhere.
Post 8 in this thread refers.

Only just spotted this.

It's from the pix it's the original version with the optimistically-rated capacitor C3 in the PSU snubber network so it might be worth checking it's not failed s/c

See this thread.

I have now bought a second HDR-FOX and swopped the 500gb drive for my 1Tb drive. My stored media titles all displayed but would not play so I just reformatted the drive.
I didn't know it was possible to change the encryption key otherwise I would have tried that. I'll keep my old unit for spares.

I didn't know it was possible to change the encryption key
So you didn't read what I referred you to. Gee thanks. Not that I care about you, but I wonder why I put my effort into this!

You would be well advised to install custom firmware (it's free, easy, and painless - see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware). Then there will be many more routes to achieve what you want, the least time-consuming being to "convert" the new HDR-FOX so that it has the same key as the old HDR-FOX.

So you didn't read what I referred you to. Gee thanks. Not that I care about you, but I wonder why I put my effort into this!
And I directly pointed out in this thread that the encryption key can be changed, making it even easier to know it was possible.

Back