HDR FOX T2 reboot cycle

I have a Humax HDR fox t2 and recently it has gone into a boot loop and I can not stop it. I have looked all over the web and tried every solution and phoned Humax support and followed their suggestions:

they emailed link to an older software, I installed it and formatted the HDD then installed the latest software update but it still doesn't work and is still stuck in a boot loop.

I have also tried installing a 2.5" HDD as it uses less power (found this solution online) but that doesn't help, it also eliminated the possibility of a corrupt HDD.
I have tried searching for new channels etc and a few other simple solutions.
I have no issues with and internet networks either, I read somewhere that it could cause issues but I have looked into this too and that doesn't appear to be the cause.

Can anyone suggest anything else that might fix the issue?

Can you describe exactly what you are seeing?

thanks for the quick reply & sorry, i should have mentioned this.

When the system boots it loads as normal and then it goes a bit loopy pretty much right away. it scrolls channels of its own and the volume goes up and down on its own too.

I can sometimes press the menu button and get to the installation menu and start a search for new channels or similar before it reboots all on its own. sometimes it can get to about 20% of channel searching but sometimes it reboots before I can even do anything.

I hope this is what you needed to know? i tried a new 2.5" HDD to eliminate the possibility of a corrupt HDD.

Yesterday when I installed the older software it allowed me to start to copy my recordings to another HDD via the USB port but it was taking quite some time so I decided just to format the HDD (once the 1st folder had completed copying) to save time, I figured that it could take days at the speed it took to copy the 1st folder and I wasn't that bothered about the recordings. I then installed the new software and its again stuck in the boot loop, even if I put the older software back on it continues to do the same. it was only today, just before i posted this thread that I tried the 2.5" HDD and it also didn't work and now I'm all out of ideas.

thanks again.

At first sight, this sounds like a faulty front panel module, containing the IR receiver. First, ensure there is no external IR source interfering by covering the whole unit with a thick cloth.

Your indication that alternative firmware did not show this problem is worrying though. I don't think we have ever come across something like this but which is firmware dependent. Can you be specific which versions of firmware you are talking about? Maybe it was a coincidence.

At first sight, this sounds like a faulty front panel module, containing the IR receiver. First, ensure there is no external IR source interfering by covering the whole unit with a thick cloth.

Your indication that alternative firmware did not show this problem is worrying though. I don't think we have ever come across something like this but which is firmware dependent. Can you be specific which versions of firmware you are talking about? Maybe it was a coincidence.

Yes, the older firmware was 1.01.09 the later firmware is 1.03.12 (both numbers taken from the link in the email so I can only assume that they are right)
I am not in a position to retry the machine with a cloth over it but I will try this as soon as I can although I don't suspect that there is any IR interference near to the box. Regarding the older software not displaying these symptoms, it does do now, it didn't at first as it allowed me to start to remove recording without it restarting. When I then added the later software and it started to boot loop again then I tried the process again, putting the older software on again (after formatting my USB device and copying it over again from the PC) but then with the older software on the fox T2 it then displayed the same boot loop issue.

Thanks for your help.

Have you by any chance introduced any new devices on your network recently?
E.g. A network server or something running, say, Twonky server.
There are known instances where certain software on the network can cause the Hummy to keep rebooting.

See if it keeps rebooting if you disconnect the Hummy from your network.

Have you by any chance introduced any new devices on your network recently?
E.g. A network server or something running, say, Twonky server.
There are known instances where certain software on the network can cause the Hummy to keep rebooting.

See if it keeps rebooting if you disconnect the Hummy from your network.

Hi, at christmas I added a WD MyCloud device to the server but its been 2 months and the boot loop issue only started a few days ago, I don't think that uses this Twonky thing that i have read about.

thanks.

I was focussing on the scrolling of channels and volume and assuming the rebooting was part of that. However, when it comes to just rebooting:

wow, that is some post you have made there, I have looked at so many web pages over the last few days so I'm surprised that this wasn't one of them. Having a quick read of it reminded me that there is a WD MyCloud server on the network at home, this was added at christmas and i haven't had any issues with it, I have also just lost a swann cctv system that was on the network too ( i plugged 19v into it, its a 12v device and its caused a short circuit). could either of these be causing the issue?

I did quickly read the linked post and it mentioned getting into the menu to turn sharing off, I will try this (providing it doesn't crash before i get to that menu)

Thanks for the linked post, its awesome.

UPDATE: i got to the content sharing and it was already OFF

I have tried to install the software again after unplugging the MyCloud device and i did a format HDD and it continued to boot loop on the WIZARD screen, its boot looping faster than it was earlier now. Looks like i will have to try installing the older software again.

Update: I have installed the older software again and it reboots still but gives longer time for menu access. In internet settings the only option now it to configure LAN, no file sharing options anymore.

Last edited:
Presumably you have tried disconnecting it from your LAN and it made no difference?

1.01.09 is really ancient - IIRC it lacked the DLNA server. My guess is it was Humax's attempt to eliminate the Twonky conflict problem (when telling you to disconnect the LAN would have done the same job).

The HDR will not be fully functional with 1.01.09, as broadcast standards have changed since then.

Last edited:
1.01.09 is really ancient - IIRC it lacked the DLNA server. My guess is it was Humax's attempt to eliminate the Twonky conflict problem (when telling you to disconnect the LAN would have done the same job).

The HDR will not be functional with 1.01.09, as broadcast standards have changed since then.

I just followed their instructions, you are correct, there are no internet options for sharing. I don't know what else to try, It is still looping.

As BH said, it sounds like there is a fault in the front panel board. You might be able to source a new one from Humax. If you can't get one from them, the easiest (and probably the least expensive) way is to look for a Humax YouView DTR-T1000 on eBay, for example, that is going cheap because it has the 'nearly-ready' fault (they are quite common: the fault is usually in the main board). These have the same front panel board as the HDR-FOX. There is, of course, a risk of buying one with a dud front panel board but if it is cheap enough and you can't source a brand new part elsewhere, it may be worth a punt.

what is random? how would you do it?
Asking you to downgrade the firmware to a version which does not even support the most recent hardware version seems like clutching at straws, unless Humax believe all firmwares since 1.01.09 contain a bug which could result in what you are seeing (presumably in the DLNA server).

I'm sure we would know about such a problem; we are aware of a network conflict, and we are aware of problems with corrupt files, but we know how to regain control without resorting to 1.01.09. You would have thought Humax should have a wider knowledge of reported faults and remedies than we do!

However, that said, 1.01.09 does sound like a useful diagnostic (but not a permanent solution).

As BH said, it sounds like there is a fault in the front panel board. You might be able to source a new one from Humax. If you can't get one from them, the easiest (and probably the least expensive) way is to look for a Humax YouView DTR-T1000 on eBay, for example, that is going cheap because it has the 'nearly-ready' fault (they are quite common: the fault is usually in the main board). These have the same front panel board as the HDR-FOX. There is, of course, a risk of buying one with a dud front panel board but if it is cheap enough and you can't source a brand new part elsewhere, it may be worth a punt.

this is good to know as an option, thank you.

Back