HDR Fox T2 Support Ending?

Yes it does. Freeview provides a more decent bit rate (and therefore quality) than DAB which is just low quality sh1te (and in many cases mono).
Fair enough, I know that DAB is not as good as FM, but I did not know that the Freeview radio quality is better than DAB. In any case, I have no desire to see these services disappear and I also think that removing radio from iPlayer is shortsighted. Just trying to understand the BBC's rationale. Perhaps there is no well thought out strategy, just penny pinching as Tell suggested.

From what I have recently read, it's not only radio that the BBC will be dropping from iPlayer, but also large screen support. No that will really hack me off as I actually use the catchup service for TV. TV pictures are surely designed to be displayed on a larger screen than a phone or tablet?

@MET. "Penny pinching"?? Since when have the BBC been seen to be penny pinching with our licence tax? "No thought out strategy" That's more like it

@Trev. The BBC do quite a few things that are supposed to be cost saving, e.g. moving Radio 5 live and BBC Sport to Salford. Whether or not these initiatives actually save money is another matter. In any case, any money saved probably ends up in the executive pension fund.

Someone (you know who) was claiming a few weeks ago there'd be an update for the 2000 soon. That's not happened. Need I say more?
He's now spewing his usual insults: "As usual comments in another place by the idiot, moron, numpty (call him what you will all are very apt) totally misrepresented what I have said - where have I stated 'soon' "
I expect he edited his post before adding that, but I can't be sure. I really should screen capture it, but I can't be bothered. He also seems to read every word here, yet claims he's "busy with other stuff". Hmm. Anyway, nice to know he's hanging on my every jibe.
Is this "gross abuse"? No. That certainly is on his forum, by the 'standards' applied here anyway. Interesting that he daren't show his face on here isn't it?

The FACT is that Humax themselves said on 17th April that they hoped to release it in May, and here we are in the middle of August and nothing. They are either liers or totally incompetent. Possibly both. Everybody's complaining but he takes no notice.

If anybody wants to respond to posts on this forum, they should do so on this forum. As I have said before, if people post they should be prepared to be held to account.

The announced imminent release of a firmware update for the HDR-2000T has exceeded its shelf life in my estimation, and I suspect almost everybody's idea of the definition of "soon".

@MET. That's pretty much the point that I was cynically trying to make. It's not their money, they don't have to earn it so who cares.

If there is a picture with the sound then it aint radio, it's TV. Call it multimedia, DAB FM, AM whatever. Why on earth would I want to turn on my 200" plasma TV to listen to the radio?

If your box fed into an amp, you would not need to!

We use a small TV as a radio alarm. It's the only way to get Radio4 6--9am weekdays and 7--9am Saturdays. (Today program.) Try doing that on a radio alarm. I haven't found any that can do that.

Hmm I use my amp which has an FM tuner built in as I do not want to listen to the poor quality DAB produces. It was a shame they cut the bandwidth of DAB to sell off the saved bandwidth as another channel, the customers lost out, but the money keeps on rolling in.

Having said that I sometimes loose some strength from my freeview signal in poor weather which causes my picture to stop, would be a problem if I used it as a radio - I only used to get interference with anologue TV, guess that is progress.

No I will stick to quality FM for radio and freeview for TV - have you heard, mobile phones can make telephone calls too! lol

The FACT is that Humax themselves said on 17th April that they hoped to release it in May, and here we are in the middle of August and nothing. They are either liers or totally incompetent. Possibly both. Everybody's complaining but he takes no notice.

Lol, this is just like the good old days when we got lots of "promises" of updates for the 9200 which also did not arrive - in fact I am still waiting for the last update we were promised.

Having said that I sometimes loose some strength from my freeview signal in poor weather which causes my picture to stop, would be a problem if I used it as a radio - I only used to get interference with anologue TV, guess that is progress.

I have an FM aerial attached to my tuner amp to avoid that problem and use the optical in from the FoxT2 for digital. Haven't suffered a loss of radio since, and we do get some weird weather in Cumbria.

He's now spewing his usual insults: "As usual comments in another place by the idiot, moron, numpty (call him what you will all are very apt) totally misrepresented what I have said - where have I stated 'soon' "

Is that the person that took exception to me earlier in the year and I gave him a good old dressing down. It wasn't helped a moderator working on this board also working on the other one tipping him off and I was proved right Humax cocked up the HDR upgrade or it was deemed and it was pulled.... then put out again.

or wrong since it was a complete mess. The software had an apparent bug (slow EPG) which was never detected by those beta testing it through several generations of the software which af123 had made available from boxes which Humax had shipped with the non official released software on it. One guesses the inner circle of moderators but definitely that individual in question had tried to defend the situation. The Freeview software distribution police blocked the distribution of it on the basis that it had a problem (DTG).

My feeling of why it wasn't going to ship was that it had never been put up on the beta testing site which Humax had stopped using, so anything shipped would be more problematic since it would not have had the same level of testing as previous releases. We knew that they were shipping boxes for something like six months before with the 1.03.xx software on with the new iPlayer. So hands up I thought they would find a problem and not ship it, not that they would ship it with the EPG problem. On this board there had been a reticence not to use the 1.03.xx software that af123 had attached the customised software too on the basis that the core element was not official and not released, although logically the way Humax was working nothing was official until they updated the boxes over the air if they had stopped sharing the beta development with a wider base. Basically the cards were stacked against them in relation to the previous releases unless they had upped their beta testing game.

I do detect that Humax are a bit more front facing since then and don't allow un official people to represent them which is how it came across which can potentially alienate customers. Whether they have sorted out beta testing is another matter.

I don't know why the 1.03.12 OTA was pulled, but the fact that the same version was re-transmitted at a later date makes it very unlikely that this was in any way due to a defect in the software. However, I do think that the slow EPG in 1.03.06 and the fact that this fault persists in 1.03.11 and 1.03.12 versions is either due to a beta-testing failure, key personnel being being in denial about the problem, or key personnel not being interested in fixing the fault.
Apparently the EPG is quicker on the HDR-2000T, probably due to its faster processor and increased memory: perhaps they simply could not be bothered to optimise the EPG for the HDR-FOX.

@tell EVERYTHING you said above is completely wrong. I recall you did this last time and got everyone annoyed. Please stop now unless you really do want support and possible future updates to be canned.

The epg bug was just simply not noticed. End of.

That is all I am saying on the matter.

Apparently the EPG is quicker on the HDR-2000T, probably due to its faster processor and increased memory
I never believe any of this stuff...
The HDR's processor was fast enough before the change of firmware version, so why isn't it now? The memory issue is cobblers, because it is quite easy with the CF to see that it doesn't use all of what it has for standard operation. Anyway, as supplied it isn't a virtual memory OS setup - you either have enough and the box works, or you don't and it crashes. Speed isn't affected. Most of us on the CF have swap files now and the EPG is still just as slow, which proves it was never anything to do with that.
The basic fact is that they've screwed up whatever algorithms they had before for making this work correctly, and the beta tester(s) didn't do their job(s) properly and detect it.

Please stop now unless you really do want support and possible future updates to be canned.
You think Humax are going to decide what happens to updates on a product based on one person's (misguided) opinion on here. Puh-lease...

The trouble is, it's the secrecy, the information hiding and the "I know something you don't know but I'm not going to tell you or justify it" attitude of certain people and companies that causes all the speculation and slanging matches and then the bad feeling.
Really, what IS the big secret? Why can't they just tell people what's going on and when and why (or why not) and take and act on feedback? They seem stuck with last century attitudes.

I can only speculate that there must be a gravy train and a load of vested interests in keeping it this way. Long term, does this really serve the people who ultimately pay the bills at the end of the day (the customers) in the best way? No. I would certainly think twice about buying a new Humax product now.

I agree. If people can't explain why they know what they are posting, it would be better not to have posted at all. They are not dealing with village idiots. There is a need for openness - withholding information looks like damage limitation, which is ultimately more damaging.

Back