HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

I also had some problems when retuning dvrontime a few day ago, the web page never responded after asking for confirmation to save the updated channels list.
Restarted server but then it had problems finding channels, Updated homerun firmware and rebooted then dvrontime retune worked smoothly

Recording the Olympics has been going well, except that I Really miss having a time stamp in the recording file name and to a lesser extent a chance to control the recording folder name.
1644358416718.png
With just a file sequence number to disambiguate multiple recordings it make a mess of an alphabetic file listing with the first episode at the end and episode 10 between 1 and 2!
Also without a time stamp working out in which file and offset a specific event starts is very tricky.

Agreed and hopefully @lc200 will get around to improving file naming at some point. In the meantime you might be able to use the script I knocked up, that will add a sortable timestamp to filenames which are not identified as movies or part of a series (no series/episode numbers) and file them into subdirectories of movies, TV series or single episodes. Its a bit rough around the edges and only tested against my recording collection but still hopefully usable in its current with a bit of tweaking. I just have to write some usage notes for it...

Recording the Olympics has been going well
Famous last words :(

This morning it appear to have gone into a crash/restart loop around 9am recording only 4-20kb before crashing with no obvious error messages.
Fortunately all the events we were interested in had already recorded OK.
The service is now failing to restart (too many failures?) but it is running successfully in a command window

Attachments

• eventlog0209.txt
    121.1 KB · Views: 4
Famous last words :(

This morning it appear to have gone into a crash/restart loop around 9am recording only 4-20kb before crashing with no obvious error messages.
Fortunately all the events we were interested in had already recorded OK.
The service is now failing to restart (too many failures?) but it is running successfully in a command window
The same issue as before with the database not responding. It might be a pain but uninstalling, then deleting all the files in Program Files\DvrOnTime, then reinstalling will give you a clean copy of the database, of course you will need to set up all your recordings again.

I'm already testing a new version that contains code to optimise and re-index the database automatically under the assumption the timeout is due to the database becoming unoptimized with fragmented indexes. I will get this ready for you to try tomorrow (Friday).

The same issue as before with the database not responding. It might be a pain but uninstalling, then deleting all the files in Program Files\DvrOnTime, then reinstalling will give you a clean copy of the database, of course you will need to set up all your recordings again.

I'm already testing a new version that contains code to optimise and re-index the database automatically under the assumption the timeout is due to the database becoming unoptimized with fragmented indexes. I will get this ready for you to try tomorrow (Friday).
Many thanks - I will look forward to the new version

It happened again today - a half hour of multiple restarts followed by normal operation for the rest of the day. The strange thing is that it is occurring in the morning when I am not using the machine at all so I am at a loss to explain what could be triggering it - perhaps it is the database reorganising itself

Tried the reinstall but I a failing at startuo
Code:
C:\Users\User>"C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.exe"
Services running in interactive mode.

Starting DvrOnTimeService...
21:25:47.847 Information: DvrOnTime service version 1.0.5.2025 is starting...
21:25:48.623 Information: EPG update starting due to service starting...
21:25:48.631 Information: New thread created for EPGCollection, threadId 04
21:25:48.659 Information: SimpleHTTPServer has started

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at DvrOnTime.DvrOnTimeService.StartEpgCollectorThread()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
21:25:48.727 Debug      : HdHomeRun command executed: discover
21:25:52.336 Debug      : HdHomeRun command executed: 1251F06B get /sys/features

C:\Users\User>
I have updated the database security to allow users full control

Tried the reinstall but I a failing at startuo
Code:
C:\Users\User>"C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.exe"
Services running in interactive mode.

Starting DvrOnTimeService...
21:25:47.847 Information: DvrOnTime service version 1.0.5.2025 is starting...
21:25:48.623 Information: EPG update starting due to service starting...
21:25:48.631 Information: New thread created for EPGCollection, threadId 04
21:25:48.659 Information: SimpleHTTPServer has started

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
21:25:48.727 Debug      : HdHomeRun command executed: discover
21:25:52.336 Debug      : HdHomeRun command executed: 1251F06B get /sys/features

C:\Users\User>
I have updated the database security to allow users full control

Not sure what is going on there, is the service running under services?

If you downloaded the Zip file again I would suggest right clicking on the Zip file and making sure it is set as trusted as by default Zip files get flagged as being from untrusted sources, this can mean it can install with restricted permissions. So uninstall DvrOnTime, make sure no files exist in it's program directory, and then try again.

I've tested downloading the 1.0.5 Zip file, uninstalling it and using the zip file to reinstall and it works all okay so the install file should be fine.

I'm just testing the install for 1.0.6 which has the extra database indexing and defragment code.

Not sure what is going on there, is the service running under services?

If you downloaded the Zip file again I would suggest right clicking on the Zip file and making sure it is set as trusted as by default Zip files get flagged as being from untrusted sources, this can mean it can install with restricted permissions. So uninstall DvrOnTime, make sure no files exist in it's program directory, and then try again.

I've tested downloading the 1.0.5 Zip file, uninstalling it and using the zip file to reinstall and it works all okay so the install file should be fine.

I'm just testing the install for 1.0.6 which has the extra database indexing and defragment code.
Okay I think I know the issue you are having. It is because no channels are tuned and this had caused the code to fall over when run in a Command box. If you start the service normally and tune the channels it should be fine, and once some channels are tuned it will work from a command prompt as well. I will fix the bug that causes it to fail when run in a command box interactively.

Okay I think I know the issue you are having. It is because no channels are tuned and this had caused the code to fall over when run in a Command box. If you start the service normally and tune the channels it should be fine, and once some channels are tuned it will work from a command prompt as well. I will fix the bug that causes it to fail when run in a command box interactively.
Unfortunately the service doesn't stay up so I cant access the web-if to do the tuning
1644595563149.png
I was installing from the same zip file used successfully before

I've just uploaded version 1.0.6, this contains the following changes:

• Database will be optimised after the update, then once every 7 days to keep indexes optimised, this is hopefully to resolve an issue seen by MymsMan
  • Added the option under settings to have the program scheduled time added to the file name
  • Fixes for some instances where the setup would fail to start the service and would need starting manually
To upgrade, uninstall old version first, this will keep a backup of the database, then install the new version, the database will be restored and all should be as before.

Any problems give me a shout here.

Last edited:
After installing 1.0.6
XML:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          11/02/2022 17:22:27
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MymsMan-Hp-PC
Description:
Application: DvrOnTime.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-11T17:22:27.1884764Z" />
    <EventRecordID>243608</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MymsMan-Hp-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: DvrOnTime.exe
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

and
XML:
Source:        Application Error
Date:          11/02/2022 17:22:28
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: DvrOnTime.exe, version: 1.0.6.2026, time stamp: 0xfe42e2ba
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffbfbc075bc
Faulting process ID: 0x3f84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d81f6bf00b3b1b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 5b444c94-dea9-4a66-88d8-300d9730fcb1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-11T17:22:28.1333177Z" />
    <EventRecordID>243609</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>DvrOnTime.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.0.6.2026</Data>
    <Data>fe42e2ba</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00007ffbfbc075bc</Data>
    <Data>3f84</Data>
    <Data>01d81f6bf00b3b1b</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>5b444c94-dea9-4a66-88d8-300d9730fcb1</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

After installing 1.0.6
XML:
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          11/02/2022 17:22:27
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Description:
Application: DvrOnTime.exe

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-11T17:22:27.1884764Z" />
    <EventRecordID>243608</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: DvrOnTime.exe

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

and
XML:
Source:        Application Error
Date:          11/02/2022 17:22:28
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: DvrOnTime.exe, version: 1.0.6.2026, time stamp: 0xfe42e2ba
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffbfbc075bc
Faulting process ID: 0x3f84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d81f6bf00b3b1b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 5b444c94-dea9-4a66-88d8-300d9730fcb1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-11T17:22:28.1333177Z" />
    <EventRecordID>243609</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>DvrOnTime.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.0.6.2026</Data>
    <Data>fe42e2ba</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00007ffbfbc075bc</Data>
    <Data>3f84</Data>
    <Data>01d81f6bf00b3b1b</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>5b444c94-dea9-4a66-88d8-300d9730fcb1</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
I've no idea what the problem might be, I simply can't rectify it. If you look in the Old versions folder on the drive link I've added a zip file called debug. If you can download that, unblock it in file properties, then extract the DvrOnTime.Exe file. Make sure the DvrOnTime service is stopped, then copy this exe over the existing one in c:\program files\Dvrontime. I've added some error handling to this EXE where I think it is going wrong to capture some more information. If it appears to start up okay or not, check the Windows event log again and it should have written some better error info, if you can post that here it might help pinpoint where the problems is.

Just had a brainwave - Problems were occurring when installing to an empty folder when it had no channels in the default database.

So I thought what happened if I put my old database backups (which I had saved) back into the dvrontime folder and tried installing again!

:doublethumbsup: SUCCESS :doublethumbsup:

Another advantage is that it will test out the database optimisation!

Just had a brainwave - Problems were occurring when installing to an empty folder when it had no channels in the default database.

So I thought what happened if I put my old database backups (which I had saved) back into the dvrontime folder and tried installing again!

:doublethumbsup: SUCCESS :doublethumbsup:

Another advantage is that it will test out the database optimisation!
Glad you got it working, although its odd it was falling over with no channels as I've tested installing a clean database with no channels many times, although that's computers and software for you!

I'm still on Version: 1.0.3.2023, is there any extra steps that I need to take to upgrade?
On version 1.0.3 your database will be lost on uninstalling the old version and putting on the new version, this means you would need to retune and re-add scheduled recordings. You can however manually take a back up of the database then restore it afterwards to avoid that inconvenience, and future updates will then keep your database automatically. In the Installing the software.pdf the first section explains how to take a copy and restore the database.

Hope that helps.

Back