HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

I have tested this now on Windows 11 and made some changes. Could you download again the installation zip file as I've updated the installer in that one and added a new version. It is successfully installing and working on Windows 11 here when I've tested it.

Remove the existing version, if it doesn't want to uninstall remove that same key again and delete all the files in the Program Files\DvrOnTime folder, if it doesn't allow some files to be deleted, then from Task Manager (Start - type Task Manager) if the DvrOnTime program is running right click and end task, now you can delete all the files in that folder. Reinstall from the new zip file version and see if that works now.

Good luck.
Thank you. That did it.

Any idea what the problem was? Should I be okay in copy my database files back?

Thank you. That did it.

Any idea what the problem was? Should I be okay in copy my database files back?
Yes you should be okay putting the database back but keep a copy of the new ones installed in case it doesn't work so you can at least set things up again on the new version.

Something different was happening with Windows 11, I think it is a timing issue when the service is first initialised causing an internal error that then messed things up, this didn't seem to happen on Windows 10. The service then wouldn't shutdown so on uninstalling it left the uninstaller in a bad state and then it got stuck and wouldn't let it be reinstalled.

I may be reading your reply wrong, but just to be clear I'm running windows 10.

Thanks once again for all your help and thanks for DvrOnTime
Yes you should be okay putting the database back but keep a copy of the new ones installed in case it doesn't work so you can at least set things up again on the new version.

Something different was happening with Windows 11, I think it is a timing issue when the service is first initialised causing an internal error that then messed things up, this didn't seem to happen on Windows 10. The service then wouldn't shutdown so on uninstalling it left the uninstaller in a bad state and then it got stuck and wouldn't let it be reinstalled.

Last edited:
Just for the record I applied the 1.0.6 upgrade with no apparent issues with the backed up database being automatically restored and upgraded by the installer. Nice work @lc200 and thanks for the new update. Touch wood still no issues here on my NUC based Windows 10 installation (hardwired). This PC is Windows 11 update ready so I'll have to be brave and apply the update the some point. Its Microsoft, what could go wrong! :roflmao: Its good to know at least someone else has tried it...

Probably something as basic as THIS would run it OK I suspect, but you'd also need some storage for the recordings...
My experience with similar items is that it would be better to go for something with at least 4GB RAM (typically the amount of RAM isn't upgradeable).

My experience with similar items is that it would be better to go for something with at least 4GB RAM (typically the amount of RAM isn't upgradeable).
Agreed 2GB is the minimum for Windows 10. For anyone trying 2GB I would recommend you run a debloater.

@dearleuk As promised I have attached the script I use to file/organise DVROnTime recordings. Hopefully you will find it useful, from the readme...

What does it do?

1. It attempts to categorise recordings as Movies, TV Series or Single Episodes and file them accordingly into 3 main subdirectories.
2. It names the files in a Kodi friendly way, which can be customised via the script with minimal coding, and are in the right order when files are sorted by name.
3. It uses the Episode NFO files of DVROnTime to achieve this, extracting information via Regular expressions from the guide text (plot) and not relying on what DVROntime has or has not extracted itself...
4. It can optionally use OMDB lookups to help identify/classify and to create better NFO files.
5. It can be run non destructively (no arguments) which generates a report of what it would do without moving any files or with an additional /file argument, where recordings are classified and moved into directories.
6. It can be run locally on the DVROnTime server machine or remotely if you setup a share to your DVROnTime recordings directory (using a UNC or network drives)
7. When filing all files are moved from the DVROntime recordings location to the filing location(s). After all files in a subdirectory directory of DVROntime have been filed the empty sub directory is removed from the DVROnTime recordings directory.
8. No backups are taken. If a move fails for some reason (like lack of space) the script should stop at that point and abort.

What are the requirements?

1. The script needs to be customised for your environment before it can be used
2. It only works if you have the Episode NFO data file option ticked as it uses the information in those NFO files to extract all the programme info for classification and filing.
3. If you want to take advantage of the OMDB lookups for Movies/TV Series you need to register for a free (with a daily limit restriction) developer key (see customisation section)
4. It's written in VbScript and only runs under the CScript engine (i.e. command line output).

Disclaimers (you have been warned!!!)

1. The script was knocked up from various bits of other scripts to do a job and has had limited testing with my recordings to date. Use it at your own risk and please make sure you run it non destructively first and check the output thoroughly before attempting to file anything!!!!
2. It can only work with the supplied guide data which often has errors/inconsistencies, on occasions it will mis-classify a recording so its not possible to get it right 100% of the time :-(
3. The script was made to meet my requirements (mainly movies), which are not necessarily yours! If you don't like something you have the script source so you can tweak it as you desire :)
4. There is only minimal error handling so doing something silly in the configuration will likely result in errors.

Example usage - From a CMD (command line window), assuming the script subdirectory is the current directory.

1. cscript dvrontime_filer.vbs (generates a report to the CMD window terminal)
2. cscript dvrontime_filer.vbs >dvrontime_filer_report.txt (generates a report to a dvrontime_filer_report.txt file which can be viewed via notepad etc)
3. cscript dvrontime_filer.vbs >dvrontime_filer_report.txt 2>dvrontime_filer_errors.txt (generates a report to a dvrontime_filer_report.txt file and any errors to dvrontime_filer_errors.txt which can be viewed via notepad etc)
4. cscript dvrontime_filer.vbs /file (generates a report to the CMD window and files recordings accordingly)
5. cscript dvrontime_filer.vbs /file >dvrontime_filer_report.txt (generates a report to a dvrontime_filer_report.txt file and files recordings accordingly)

Example output

Example of a normal movie.

Movie (Found on OMDB) : \\nuc-pc\dvrontime\The Meg 0 28/12/2021 21:00:02 44
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\The Meg\The Meg 28-12-2021 S0E0.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_Movies\The Meg (2018).m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\the meg\the meg 28-12-2021 s0e0.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_Movies\The Meg (2018).nfo

Example of a split movie (I hate you C5!)

Movie (Found on OMDB) : \\nuc-pc\dvrontime\King Arthur Legend of the Sword 1 27/12/2021 21:04:51 45
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\King Arthur Legend of the Sword\King Arthur Legend of the Sword 27-12-2021 S0E0.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\Movies\King Arthur Legend of the Sword (2017) part1.m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\king arthur legend of the sword\king arthur legend of the sword 27-12-2021 s0e0.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\Movies\King Arthur Legend of the Sword (2017) part1.nfo
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\King Arthur Legend of the Sword\King Arthur Legend of the Sword 27-12-2021 1 S0E0.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\Movies\King Arthur Legend of the Sword (2017) part2.m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\king arthur legend of the sword\king arthur legend of the sword 27-12-2021 1 s0e0.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\Movies\King Arthur Legend of the Sword (2017) part2.nfo

Example of a Single episode

Single Episode : \\nuc-pc\dvrontime\Spitting Image Christmas Special 0 24/12/2021 22:03:43 48
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\Spitting Image Christmas Special\Spitting Image Christmas Special 24-12-2021 S0E0.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\Single_Recordings\Spitting Image Christmas Special 202112241003.m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\spitting image christmas special\spitting image christmas special 24-12-2021 s0e0.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\Single_Recordings\Spitting Image Christmas Special 202112241003.nfo

Example of a full TV series

TV Series (Found on OMDB) : Stephen \\nuc-pc\dvrontime\Stephen 0 13/09/2021 20:00:07 150 3 3 2021 1
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\Stephen\Stephen 30-08-2021 S1E1.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_TVSeries\Stephen (2021)\Series 01\Stephen (2021) s01e01.m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\stephen\stephen 30-08-2021 s1e1.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_TVSeries\Stephen (2021)\Series 01\Stephen (2021) s01e01.nfo
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\Stephen\Stephen 06-09-2021 S1E2.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_TVSeries\Stephen (2021)\Series 01\Stephen (2021) s01e02.m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\stephen\stephen 06-09-2021 s1e2.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_TVSeries\Stephen (2021)\Series 01\Stephen (2021) s01e02.nfo
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\Stephen\Stephen 13-09-2021 S1E3.m2ts --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_TVSeries\Stephen (2021)\Series 01\Stephen (2021) s01e03.m2ts
\\nuc-pc\dvrontime\stephen\stephen 13-09-2021 s1e3.nfo --> \\NUC-PC\DvrOnTime\_TVSeries\Stephen (2021)\Series 01\Stephen (2021) s01e03.nfo

Attachments

• dvrontime_filer.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 6
Brilliant, thank you. Looks just what I was hoping for. I won't get a chance to play with it until next weekend. It's mostly TV we record on DVROnTime

Thanks Again

@lc200 It would be nice if DvrOnTime could output a genre element to the series/episode NFO files it generates. I know its not always accurate but it would help for classifying recordings into groups in some cases.

I was also wondering what happens with tuner allocation if you are using another program with the HD HomeRun tuner, say a client application for live TV? Would DvrOnTime be aware of that and say if one Tuner was being used for live TV on a Quatro then only 3 tuners would be available to DVROnTime ?

Sorry only just noticed this post. That is a strange entry, I will take a look at the code and see how that might happen. Were you able to just delete it okay?
I've not tried that yet, I left it in case there was anything you wanted me to check first.

Back