HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

I downloaded and installed the DVROnTime software which is running fine , so decided to purchase a hdhomerun duo but on the silicone dust website there is no option to add to basket and seems no longer on amazon is second hand the only option ?

I downloaded and installed the DVROnTime software which is running fine , so decided to purchase a hdhomerun duo but on the silicone dust website there is no option to add to basket and seems no longer on amazon is second hand the only option ?
You could try contacting SiliconDust to see if they have plans to make the UK models available again - they seem to come an go

They are sometimes available on eBay but they sometimes go for far more than the retail price - you have to be patient and prepared to do some last second bidding to snap one up at a reasonable price.
With a duo you can have the problems of recording conflicts - a quatro reduces the chances considerably

Thanks for that I've sent them an email awaiting a response. By recording conflicts is that just needing to record more than 2 at a time or an technical problem ?

Thanks for that I've sent them an email awaiting a response. By recording conflicts is that just needing to record more than 2 at a time or an technical problem ?
Basically yes, You may think it is rare that you need more than 2 recordings but in practice I find it is fairly common. You can normally juggle the schedule using +1 channels and other repeats but it is a hassle that goes away with 4 tuners.
The humax allows you to watch a channel while recording on the same MUX. If you want to watch live TV on a phone/tablet/PC with the HDhomerun each user reserves a tuner so reducing concurrent recording.

Welcome to the club @NBhummyuser Let us know if you hear back from SiliconDust. In the past they gave come and go on Amazon, but this is the first time I have not seen them listed there...

I've had a reply from silicon dust "Due to global supply chain delays, we are currently out of stock on new units. We expect to have new stock available soon, and you can sign up on our stock mailing list to be notified when they are available":

not sure if I'M allowed to post links uk customers: http://eepurl.com/hWtdaX

I've had a reply from silicon dust "Due to global supply chain delays, we are currently out of stock on new units. We expect to have new stock available soon, and you can sign up on our stock mailing list to be notified when they are available":

not sure if I'M allowed to post links uk customers: http://eepurl.com/hWtdaX
Odd that they didn't add the mailing list sign up to their website when removing the Buy button but companies often do strange things

After making literally hundreds of recordings without issues I had my first recording error last night. I am attaching the relevant part of the log for @lc200 to look into. Another recording did complete successfully in this recordings time window...

Attachments

• DVROnTime_recording_error.txt
    20.3 KB · Views: 8
After making literally hundreds of recordings without issues I had my first recording error last night. I am attaching the relevant part of the log for @lc200 to look into. Another recording did complete successfully in this recordings time window...
Just had a look at the log, there seems to have been a transmission problem or interference and packets being received were seen as corrupted, and then a packet in particular was in such a corrupt state it tripped up the parsing functions. I will take a look at the code and see what I can do to make the handling more robust when corrupt packets are received. Not sure if you watching live at the time and saw any issue?

I decommissioned one of my T2's this week and replaced it with a 2nd Quatro tuner. At some point I'll get around to doing some >4 tuner testing with DvrOnTime...

How are people playing their recordings?

I have a LG Smart TV that comes with an app that will play recordings stored on my NAS (or on the Humax) but while it works it is not as convenient as the Humax.
It doesn't have the skip functions of the humax and it doesn't show the picture during fast forward/back making it difficult to judge when to stop.
I could play using VLC on PC and cast to TV but that seems to be a bit too clunky.

I can access the dvrontime scheduling pages via the TV's web browser app but overall the user experience is not as smooth and well integrated as the Humax UI. This, of course, outside of dvrontimes control but does mean I am still using the Humax for most recording and only using the hdHomerun for events like the Olympics that would create too many conflicts on the Humax.

I use PLEX running on a Raspberry Pi, it works really well, bit of a faff moving stuff from win10 machine tp pi, but could probably be automated

How are people playing their recordings?
Good question! This is something I'm still undecided on. I'll probably looking for something Android based on the Nvidia Shield. I'm going to have a play with an app called PVR Live over Easter hopefully...

Good question! This is something I'm still undecided on. I'll probably looking for something Android based on the Nvidia Shield. I'm going to have a play with an app called PVR Live over Easter hopefully...
I use Kodi on the Nvidia Shield, works well although occasionally the Shield decoder will crash if skipping, doesn't happen that often, but when it does the Shield needs rebooting before it will decode any video in any app again!

It can be a bit confusing setting it up. The protocol to use is Windows network (SMB), the server name should be your Windows 10 network name/computer name. You need to use a Username and password, I don't think I ever got to work without using credentials even if the folder is set for "everyone". The shared folder for Kodi is the name of the folder that has been shared containing the media files.

There are settings in Kodi you can make to allow you to delete watched progams direct from Kodi, and Kodi will resume playback where you left off so very PVR like. I'd also recommend setting Kodi to scan media files automatically at start up, so each time you go into Kodi it will pick up any new additions. If you have DvrOnTime setting ticked for 'Kodi Episode NFO data file' then you will get the program info shown in Kodi and episodes should be named and numbered automatically, although this very much depends on the format the TV company used to show Series and Episode.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back