HDR-FOX T2 to HDHomeRun, my journey

This sounds very interesting and many thanks to @lc200 for creating and sharing this. I've been looking for something like this for sometime and had also thought about the possibility of coding something myself, but that would probably have had to wait till retirement as the day job keeps me pretty busy for the most part programmed out! This sounds really good so I will certainly be giving this a go, but before then a few questions if I may.

1) Can it support multiple HD Homeruns? (I have 2 Quatros currently)
2) it was mentioned about recording a Mux, so multiple recordings can be made from a Mux using only 1 Tuner. That would be a nice to have.
3) I downloaded the most recent version and it only has a setup file and a single MSI file. The instructions mention installing SQLServer LocalDB first, which I expected to find in the zip as a 2nd MSI file. Has this dependency been removed or do I need to install and earlier version before upgrading to the latest?
4) BTW it was mentioned earlier in this thread that these were no longer on Amazon UK, but they are back in stock again now, see HERE

This sounds very interesting and many thanks to @lc200 for creating and sharing this. I've been looking for something like this for sometime and had also thought about the possibility of coding something myself, but that would probably have had to wait till retirement as the day job keeps me pretty busy for the most part programmed out! This sounds really good so I will certainly be giving this a go, but before then a few questions if I may.

1) Can it support multiple HD Homeruns? (I have 2 Quatros currently)
2) it was mentioned about recording a Mux, so multiple recordings can be made from a Mux using only 1 Tuner. That would be a nice to have.
3) I downloaded the most recent version and it only has a setup file and a single MSI file. The instructions mention installing SQLServer LocalDB first, which I expected to find in the zip as a 2nd MSI file. Has this dependency been removed or do I need to install and earlier version before upgrading to the latest?
4) BTW it was mentioned earlier in this thread that these were no longer on Amazon UK, but they are back in stock again now, see HERE
Good question about the multiple tuners, I'm not sure how the software would react seeing two as I've not tested that having only one tuner myself. Yes it could support more than one tuner but may need some tweaking, let me know how you get on.

I've added the SQL database setup to the zip file now.

Currently it records a single program from one tuner. It's fairly complicated to support multiple recordings from one mux and little to gain for a 4 tuner version anyway as there is a limit to how much data processing these tuners will do.

Thanks for the link about them being back on Amazon. Let me know how you get on with the two tuners.

This is exciting, and I am up for it. After the prerequisites were downloaded, installation was successful. However, the service did not start when the installer completed.

I tried to start the service manually, and got the following error:

"Windows could not start the DvrOnTimeService service on Local Computer.
Error 1064: An exception occurred in the service when handling the control request."

I tried another PC (both Win7) with exactly the same result, so would I be correct in thinking that the service does not run on Windows 7 ?

Hi, I think Windows 8 may be the minimum due to the SqlDatabase version. Did the SqlDatabase install okay?

Hi Lc, yes the SqlDatabase install didn't protest. Not realising that it was included within the latest setup, I installed it separately from the previous version.

Are you on Windows 7 64bit?

On Googling SQL Server localdb v 2019 is only supported from Windows 8 and above, however it may be unofficially supported. Can you check if you have this folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\150\LocalDB\Binn with lots of files in, that would indicate it was installed.

Seems like it installed the database side. If you look in the Windows Event log after trying to start the service can you let me know what the error message is?

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Stored Procedure [dbo].[up_ConfigurationList] reported an error from the database: The database 'DvrOnTime' cannot be opened because it is version 869. This server supports version 852 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'DvrOnTime'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
Cannot attach the file 'C:\Program Files\DvrOnTime\DvrOnTime.mdf' as database 'DvrOnTime'.
at DvrOnTime.Data.SqlDatabase.RaiseUnHandledDatabaseException(Exception ex, SqlConnection sqlConnection, String commandText, SqlCommand sqlCommand, ConnectionState originalConnectionState)
at DvrOnTime.Data.SqlDatabase.Execute(SqlParameter[] sqlParameters, SqlConnection sqlPassedConnection, String commandText, HandleReturnCode handleReturn, Int32 commandTimeout, Boolean isStoredProcedure, ExecuteType executeType, Boolean isExceptionThrownForNullScaler, Object& scalerValue)
at DvrOnTime.StoredProcedures.ConfigurationList()
at DvrOnTime.ConfigurationSetting..ctor(StoredProcedures stored...

Appears to be an issue with the database versions, this maybe due to the version not being supported. If you have a look at the PDF instructions it shows how to check the database version in the registry, sometimes this isn't upgrade correctly so worth checking that, make sure you remember the previous value just in case you need to restore it.

Doh. Right in front of my eyes and I somehow didn't see it. Mine was stuck on 13 instead of 15. Fixed and restarted. Manual start of service, the progress bar went more than halfway this time, then...

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Stored Procedure [dbo].[up_ConfigurationList] reported an error from the database: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 50 - Local Database Runtime error occurred. Error occurred during LocalDB instance startup: SQL Server process failed to start. ) at DvrOnTime.Data.SqlDatabase.RaiseUnHandledDatabaseException(Exception ex, SqlConnection sqlConnection, String commandText, SqlCommand sqlCommand, ConnectionState originalConnectionState) at DvrOnTime.Data.SqlDatabase.Execute(SqlParameter[] sqlParameters, SqlConnection sqlPassedConnection, String commandText, HandleReturnCode handleReturn, Int32 commandTimeout, Boolean isStoredProcedure, ExecuteType executeType, Boolean isExceptionThrownForNullScaler, Object& scalerValue) at ...

Did you try rebooting after making the registry change? If you did I think that is confirming then that the database isn't loading on Windows 7. Microsoft do state that Windows 8 or newer are required for any of the more modern SQL database versions.

Yes, rebooted after regedit. I am reluctant to go to Win8, but maybe I can trial it on one machine. There will now be a looong pause while I upgrade the Mac Mini and BootCamp.

Meanwhile, thank you for going over the top in trying to resolve my problem. It is much appreciated.

Did you try rebooting after making the registry change? If you did I think that is confirming then that the database isn't loading on Windows 7. Microsoft do state that Windows 8 or newer are required for any of the more modern SQL database versions.
Have you considered using SQLite rather than SQL?

Back