HDR- FOX T2 using with one for all URC 6440 universal remote

EdTall

Hi has anyone used the HDR-FOX T2 with the One For All, Simple 4, URC 6440 universal remote (the one that illuminates)? How well does it work? Like the volume control for the tv when in TV/PVR mode, i.e. not using the volume on Humax only the TV. Thanks.

There are quite a few of us on here that use Logitech Harmony (various models), but I don't recall One for All being mentioned.

Hi has anyone used the HDR-FOX T2 with the One For All, Simple 4, URC 6440 universal remote (the one that illuminates)? How well does it work? Like the volume control for the tv when in TV/PVR mode, i.e. not using the volume on Humax only the TV. Thanks.

I have used the One For All URC-8350 with the Humax, you can program (punch through volume) to control the TV volume in both TV and PVR modes, there are a couple of One for All forum posts HERE and HERE

I'm using a URC-7960 with two HDRs, a sat receiver, a dvd player, a tv and a HDMI switch. One For All told me they could program in codes for Humax modes 2-6 and a code for my sat receiver, but that meant sending the remote to them. I didn't want to wait so used the learn function. It has volume punch-through too.

Most (if not all) One for All remotes can be programmed using a JP1 interface connected to a P.C., but the learn option will usually do the job

Hi thanks for that. I'm really want one that has big buttons for your basic functions like play, pause, forward, rewind, guide, media, volume etc.. and most important is that it illuminated when pressed. I don't mind using the original one for less used functions.

In case anyone else comes across this thread we just got 'OFA 'Simple 4 URC-644o' and find it has codes for everything tried, including our Humax PVR9300 and Foxsat HDR.

The shape, buttons, and layout are ideal, together with the automatic backlight, and in any case it has a very quick and easy learning function.

Like other URC remotes the device-types on the device buttons can be duplicated onto each other with 9, 9, 2, 15 step macros can be put on the normal buttons using 9, 9, 5, and the USB allows saving the settings.bin files to PC as backups, or for cloning to other 6440s.

It feels at least as robust as our Harmonys including 655, 650, One, and 900, and makes a nice change from using their screens - recommended, especially when Currys/PC World has them for £12.40 at the moment.

Thanks for that, I'll get one. I have been considering what to do in my entertainment complex, which now requires remotes for 2 HDRs, a BluRay, TV, Qumi, active speakers, and HDMI matrix switch. HDR channel 2 conflicts with the Qumi and also the matrix switch!

Hi Black Hole, if you mean channel 2 on the HDR remote, we have Pana SC-BTT BluRay/HT/Receiver and DMR-EX85 which responded to the same commands, so one used to be on a different Remote channel.

Since they are both often idle they now have a Lime mains power plug each, those and power being controlled by a couple of macros on number buttons of the 6440, so that only one has power at any time. With both set to their standard remote channels, the URC-6440 can control one at a time (usually the HT/receiver) with some of their commands mixed in the 4th 'Extra' device mode. 1st mode does the Tv, 2nd for 9300, and third for HDR so that is a bit of luck!

Oi Chunky, your avatar appears to be a black hole at the heart of an X-ray binary. What's going on?!!! There's only room for one black hole around here (maybe you are planning on a decaying orbit and eventual merger).

The 6440 is currently £11.49 on the Currys web site.

After further investigation, I wonder whether I would be better off with a 7960 or a 7781 - both available on Amazon for not a lot of money at the moment.

The URC-7962 is available for a very good price at the moment, see HERE I have already posted the codes for it over HERE Have you tried emailing them? They were very helpful when I enquired about the codes for the 7962...

Oi Chunky, your avatar appears to be a black hole at the heart of an X-ray binary. What's going on?!!! There's only room for one black hole around here (maybe you are planning on a decaying orbit and eventual merger).

The 6440 is currently £11.49 on the Currys web site.
No mine is a dying sun having the substance stripped out of it by another black hole :)

and I am not too good with numbers!

Looked at 7960/7962 reviews and someone said "...wish it had seperate buttons for tv dvd stb media amp mp3 as you have to press select to scroll through to the thing you want to control instead of pressing 1 button" but someone else said they did not like Device Specific Macros! (edit: it's a good thing that 6440 does have DSMs) Someone else said they much preferred 7960 to 7962 - but ya boo to other people's opinions ;)

The URC-7962 is available for a very good price at the moment, see ['here'] I have already posted the codes for it over '[here'] Have you tried emailing them? They were very helpful when I enquired about the codes for the 7962...
Hi sceptic. Yes 7962/7960 appear very nice, and yes 6 devices, and OFA/URC email support is brilliant - I just liked the peanut shape of 6440 and its button layout - and it is chunky

I'm using a URC 6440 - it was pretty easy to set up, and you can choose whether the volume controls the Humax or the TV. It's also controlling my Apple TV and my Samsung TV, so I'm down to just one remote - mostly. I've tried, but I can't seem to make it learn the Exit button, which means I can't get out of the TV Portal. There's no Media button either, but it's easy enough to get to that through the menu so it's no big deal.

I installed custom firmware on my box, and I can use the Web InterFace remote, even on my iPhone. That's good enough for occasional use of Exit.

Does it have a six pin connector in the battery compartment? If so, it should be possible to progamme it using a PC even if you can not get it to learn some functions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JP1_remote

Another possibility is to find the correct code for the missing functions. On earlier models this could be done using the "magic" button. I see that the URC-6440 does not have one but maybe the setup button could be used instead. The missing function could then be assigned to a button.

I have a cheap O-F-A Remote that doesn't have a 'Magic Button' however it does do some magic button functions using two buttons simultaneously see below :-

Press and hold down REWIND + FASTFORWARD
simultaneously until the URC-8350’s LED (red light)
blinks twice (the LED will blink once and then twice).
Press 9 9 1. The LED will blink twice

However I'm guessing 'Magic 990' is being suggested and I'm not sure that works on my O-F-A

I think the setup button functions as a magic button on the URC 6440.

rbrian: If you are using device code 1176, try out the following function codes:

Exit: 00118
Media: 00074

If they work then it should be possible to programme them onto unused buttons.

URC-6440's Poorly Documented Features.
Default Device-Button Types
TV button: HDTV, LCD, LED, Plasma, Projector, (or*).
PVR button: Sat, Cable, DVB-T, Freeview, TDT, TNT, (or*).
DVD button: Blu-Ray, VCR, DVD/VCR/HDD combi, (or*)
Extra button: (defined by user*).

*Redefine a device button
So you can put devices on chosen buttons:-
To make (Y)'s device-type to be the same as button (X):-
Hold the Setup key down until the light blinks twice.
Press 9,9,2, the light will blink twice.
Press button (X) then Press button (Y), the light should blink twice.
Now (Y) is now the same 'button-type' as button (X)

Macros: To program a button to issue a series of commands
The Macros are global, up to 15 steps, so that the macro will be issued when the defined button is pressed in any device mode.
Any of the 'normal' buttons can be set as a macro buttons but, since most buttons will be occupied, the number button positions may be useful for macros, which would operate in any mode.
1. Hold the Setup key down until the light blinks twice.
2. Press 9,9,5, the light will blink twice.
3. Press the button chosen for issuing the macro.
4 Then, in the desired order, press the other buttons required to issue the series of commands.
(Include the device buttons to determine which which device is to be used for each command, inneffective buttons to make pauses and finally, if needed, the mode button to determine the mode in which to finish).

To clear a macro
Do steps 1 to 3, then press and hold the Setup key until the light blinks twice.

To revert to Factory Settings press 9,8,1

(Added 27.1.2014)
The 9,9,0, blink-back
To check the code which has been set on a device button:-
Press and hold 'setup' until you get two blinks.
Press the device button to be tested,[e.g. 'DVD']
Press 9,9,0,
To check the first digit of the code which has been set [on e.g. 'DVD'], press '1', and count the blinks.
To get the second digit of the code press '2'.
For get the third digit of the code press '3'.
For get the fourth digit of the code press '4'.

Back