3 66/100 59
101 66/100 55
10 48/100 48
48 49/100 52
19 49/100 56
59 51/100 48

I hope this is what you want, it's the first number on the test

I was watching via HDMI, always do as normal TV looks grainy in comparison

Thanks that confirms you are on Huntshaw Cross. COM 4 is on UHF 48 which is why lcn 10 and 59 have the number 48. Why they show different strength is baffling unless it's varying all the time. Your strength is a bit low mine are around 85% strength 100% quality. Might be worth fitting a externally powered variable masthead amp as close to the aerial as possible (say in a loft).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-V20...510838061&sr=8-11&keywords=masthead+amplifier

COM 4, COM 5 and COM 6 are half the power of the PSB mux.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Huntshaw_Cross

I had to get an aerial with lots of elements as we in a bit of a dip. the one we had was too standard and kept dropping out. It's drizzling and very misty today, so the signal might be down a little.

I had to get an aerial with lots of elements as we in a bit of a dip. the one we had was too standard and kept dropping out. It's drizzling and very misty today, so the signal might be down a little.

Put your postcode in here and choose the detailed view.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

It will tell us the anticipated field strength and give an idea as whether a amplifier will improve reception as well as locating your best transmitter.

My location is deep rural so getting any signal is a bonus, however im not sure if the stuttering and weak signal is related. I can watch live TV fine, looks great but the moment I open any menu the live picture in the background starts to stutter on and off. Its not on every channel, but most of them. Soon as the menu is off, TV is back to normal. Last night I watched the apprentice and at the end I deleted the episode and the stuttering was really bad.

No word from Humax yet.

My location is deep rural so getting any signal is a bonus, however im not sure if the stuttering and weak signal is related. I can watch live TV fine, looks great but the moment I open any menu the live picture in the background starts to stutter on and off. Its not on every channel, but most of them. Soon as the menu is off, TV is back to normal. Last night I watched the apprentice and at the end I deleted the episode and the stuttering was really bad.

No word from Humax yet.

Turn off the menu transparency.

FreeviewPlay - Settings - General Settings - ON-SCREEN-DISPLAY - Transparent Background - Off

Turning off transparency has helped (in as much that I don't now get distracted by it), however the audio still stutters. Here's a good example https://photos.app.goo.gl/yfbUyaxUcDYQ7uZz2 I have copied the recordings off a T2 onto the internal hdd this morning and scrolling through these you hear the stuttering quite bad. This was on C4. It does not do it on BBC1.

Humax have been in touch and have asked various questions, so I also sent them the link too along with me saying it's only on some channels.

Turning off transparency has helped (in as much that I don't now get distracted by it), however the audio still stutters. Here's a good example https://photos.app.goo.gl/yfbUyaxUcDYQ7uZz2 I have copied the recordings off a T2 onto the internal hdd this morning and scrolling through these you hear the stuttering quite bad. This was on C4. It does not do it on BBC1.

Humax have been in touch and have asked various questions, so I also sent them the link too along with me saying it's only on some channels.

No stuttering on Channel 4 with the guide displayed. I have transparency off as it makes the guide easier to read but sound was fine. It is sounding more and more like a faulty box.

Humax basically washed their hands of it citing the issue was the signal rather than an issue with the unit. So im returning the unit. Buyer Beware!!

You shouldn't have said it only happens on some channels. That might only have been coincidence.

It might be worth noting I have had a similar problem with the 2000T. Sometimes channels broadcast on ARQA and ARQB multiplexes are subject to interference if I start fiddling with the remote and pulling up menus etc. My problem only occurs when changing the menu state - ie. popping up a menu, terminating a menu, switching between menu items. I have found this to be a problem with interference between the video out (I am using the RCA connectors) and the aerial cable (and possibly the LAN cable). Small changes to the cable layout can remove this interference completely - but it has required a lot of trial end error to get to this point. I'm sure Black Hole will say get better quality cables - and, of course, he is correct.
tezfair may have a faulty box, or inferior or badly routed cables. If you have the patience, try rejigging your cables before you return the unit - or, if you return and replace and get the same problem, when you get a new unit.

What I can't get my head around is that the quality of the signal should not make any difference to the menu overlays. If the live picture is free from artifacts etc, then logically, it would remain clear when a menu appears on top of it. The cables are all fine, a fairly short run to the aeriel and a releativly new aerial.

The stuttering only appears as an action is being performed, eg, scrolling through a menu, or opening / closing menus. Its as if the CPU is running at 99% all the time and the request for an on screen overlay is enough to max it out.

Not had a reply from Humax to send it back. Wish I had brought it from a shop rather than direct.

Last edited:
If that was the case then it would have been posted many times. I do have a theory. Can you connect your box using the analogue out connections to your TV ? If so remove the HDMI connection both ends, Do you still get the problem when viewing the analogue outputs ? HDMI cables radiate interference in the UHF band, the menu overlays will change the frequency possibly knocking out your signals. Seperate your HDMI cabling from RF connections and ideally use satellite grade double screened cable. Make them up using screw on F connectors and convert using F to Belling Lee adaptors.

TV through the RF output doesn't have the stutter, however thats because im not able to watch anything from the humax. What I have noticed was the signal is reduced, but if I plug in the TV directly to the aerial the quality comes back up.

TV through the RF output doesn't have the stutter, however thats because im not able to watch anything from the humax. What I have noticed was the signal is reduced, but if I plug in the TV directly to the aerial the quality comes back up.

I wasn't talking about RF, I was talking about analogue video and audio from the Yellow Red White RCA phono connections. You can connect these to a TV scart using a simple and cheap adaptor. Note if you want to use these as the same time as HDMI (perhaps to feed a remote TV using a modulator) you need to change a menu setting to enable analogue out. The signal should be increased slightly when the rf is routed via the box as it has a small amplifier designed to eliminate the insertion loss, they have a small positive gain.

I beg your pardon, I didn't understand, however my TV has RCA, and having connected the humax to it, no stuttering!! I turned on the onscreen transparency and all the iff channels, nothing, just working, but the quality!!! 80's VCR

I have already tried two HDMI cables, so maybe there is the problem with the HDMI side. But thanks for the suggestion :)

I beg your pardon, I didn't understand, however my TV has RCA, and having connected the humax to it, no stuttering!! I turned on the onscreen transparency and all the iff channels, nothing, just working, but the quality!!! 80's VCR

I have already tried two HDMI cables, so maybe there is the problem with the HDMI side. But thanks for the suggestion :)
If the FVP-5000T is set to output 1080p then try 1080i instead. And vis versa. The freeview output from the box of 1080i has as much detail as the 1080p but tends to generate less interference.

It was the HDMI cable that was the primary issue. I went and got a premuim one and repeating the tests on various channels the stuttering has pretty much stopped. There is an occasional one if im really trying hard and whizzing around the menus, but with the transparency on there's no break up. So Grahams suggestion was the one that lead me down a path that I hadn't considered. It also makes me wonder if my T2 is fine and it was bad HDMI cables for the last few years!!

I suppose being in IT, I have often dismissed 'premium' cables due to being overly expensive and gimmiky, but I guess there's a place for decent kit occasionally!!

Many thanks for the contributions, and hopefully if someone has my issues, this thread will help them.

Terry

More likely the quality of your RF interconnects. They aren't the thin white ones with moulded on plugs by any chance ? Quality will be dire as composite is worst possible video quality. Test was only to confirm HDMI is interfering with the rf feed to your box. Do you have a wall outlet plate for the TV aerial ? If so get a length of WF100/PF100 coax cable and two screw on f connectors.

and two F to male belling lee adaptors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Screw-Coaxial-Adapter-Connectors/dp/B00CVRJ46Q

The aerial cable terminates into a plug which goes into the Humax, there's no joints or wall outlets inbetween.

Back