HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Hello from a naive user

Having read a lot of this thread I have bought an Edimax EW-7612UAN adapter to wirelessly link my Humax to my router (BT Homehub). I couldn't find any of the others mentioned. I set the adapter up on my PC quickly and easily. My HDR Fox T2 1TB is about 3 metres away on the other side of a wall. Plugging the adapter in with/without using the extension into either port fails to register with the PVR. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, 'no internet connection', menus greyed out. Any advice please? (Does Humax have any advice anywhere? The manual makes it sound as though the USB ports are purely for memory sticks?)

Thats because the 7612 series DOESN'T work - if you'd read the thread carefully (and mt posts upthread) you'd have seen that I tried it and it failed. you HAVE to get the 7711 series, and they are readily available from Amazon, so you can't have looked too hard ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7711UAN-150Mbps-Wireless-802-11n/dp/B001KOTDDU

i've noticed that most people are getting 150mbps dongles with the rt3070 chipset which is probably the sensible thing to do as you know these will probably work but say i bought a 300mbps rt3072 that uses the same linux drivers as the rt3070 do you think this would work? i noticed in an earlier thread someone hooked up a tenda w311u which i thought had a 2 series chipset and not a 3 ? does the fox-t2 only support rt3070 series 150mbps dongles or can i go for a 300mbps? more information on this would be helpful i may contact humax for more of a definitive overview.

i've noticed that most people are getting 150mbps dongles with the rt3070 chipset which is probably the sensible thing to do as you know these will probably work but say i bought a 300mbps rt3072 that uses the same linux drivers as the rt3070 do you think this would work? i noticed in an earlier thread someone hooked up a tenda w311u which i thought had a 2 series chipset and not a 3 ? does the fox-t2 only support rt3070 series 150mbps dongles or can i go for a 300mbps? more information on this would be helpful i may contact humax for more of a definitive overview.
I doubt Humax will tell you. If it uses the same Linux driver there is a decent chance it will work but the only definitive way is to buy one and try.

As said, the same driver so it's doubtful the Humax would be able to tell the difference. I question the need though - why take even the slightest risk on an unknown quantity when the 3070 devices are adequate, unless you have a spirit of adventure?

300mbps would be something to try, but it is not needed for streaming video. If you need to transfer very large files very quickly to / from the Humax there may be a need, but not for streaming. Even blue Ray quality video could be streamed with 20-30 mbps Max.

well the concern was more for my network as a whole i have it all running at 300mbps and according to my router manual if i incorporate a 150mbps client it will decrease the bandwidth of the whole network to 150mbps i would prefer not to do this as i transfer large files across the network from pc to pc.

i
That's interesting, I didn't know that.
i don't think this is true for most routers i have a 3g (mobile broadband) router that only works in certain modes i think if you have a normal wireless router you will be able to connect at maximum speeds on all clients

WL0049A.jpg

i have just bought a Logilink WL0049A , it looks exactly like the humax wifi stick
but its white and it only cost me 8 euros instead of 38 euros for the humax

Regarding the list earlier in this thread, I can confirm that the Edimax EW-7711UMn dongle works just fine on my HDR-FOX T2.

USB ID is 7392:7711

Cost me £4.80 including postage brand new from Amazon.

I've just bought the same dongle and was baffled that it wouldn't work until I realised you're not allowed a password which contains spaces. I then tried my old D-Link EWA 140, which then worked. :(

I've just set up my wireless dongle. http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20710113/-/Product.html and have connected to my network. (I changed from AUTO which seemed to prefer channel 1 to channel 8) I am getting a connected speed of 65mbps which results in pauses in picture when watching the BBC iPlayer in HD.

The major problem I am having though, is when I go to media to stream from my HDR the HD crashes and restarts itself. The wireless dongle is connected through a powered USB 2 hub and also has a USB stick for the customised firmware.

Any ideas, recommendations or solutions welcome.

Edit. Just to add, streaming from PCs is OK.

65mbps should be plenty fast enough. The typical HiDef recording is 4.5GB/hour, which is roughly 1.3MB/sec. iPlayer is more likely to be throttled by your broadband connection, and in any case is lower bandwidth than your recordings.

As for your HD-FOX crashing, I don't know what to suggest. Does it connect with the HDR before it crashes, or immediately you select "Network"? You don't need the custom software for DLNA playback, so you could try the WiFi dongle directly in the USB socket without the hub.

After a number of cold reboots it now works. I've no idea what the problem was but at least it's working now.

Back