Headphones or headsets?

gomezz

Well-Known Member
Am I unusual in not being aware that among the headphone cognoscenti that headsets are very different things primarily used by gamers. So that when I went asking about getting a new set of budget neckband headphones (not ear buds) mainly for podcast listening from my phone that because my old pair had a microphone it was wrong to be asking in a headphones forum and got chewed out about it. :o_O:
 
Am I unusual in not being aware that among the headphone cognoscenti that headsets are very different things primarily used by gamers.
I don't know. My assumption would be that what I call headphones don't have a microphone (although modern ones may have a hidden one). A headset, at least in my mind, has an obvious microphone with an adjustable position.
because my old pair had a microphone it was wrong to be asking in a headphones forum and got chewed out about it. :o_O:
A gentle reminder that you might be in the wrong forum should have sufficed.
 
Yes indeed, a headset has a microphone – set being the operative part of the term (a set comprising microphone and earphones), and it's not a set unless it does. This goes all the way back to military terminology and then manual telephone exchanges. Another example is the 'genset' – a generator set comprising an engine and an alternator or dynamo.

The point is that hi-fi headphones never have microphones, while gamer headsets do not have fidelity as their primary aim in life and will therefore be derided by hi-fi buffs.
 
The point is that hi-fi headphones never have microphones, while gamer headsets do not have fidelity as their primary aim in life and will therefore be derided by hi-fi buffs. snobs
Snobs, not buffs. ;)

Probably also must have cables and not be wireless (Bluetooth) despite the modern almost lossless codecs (APT-X for example) for that 'breed' of forum.

Many decent wireless headphones: in-ear, on-ear and over ear include mics for mobile phone use alongside listening to whatever and are certainly NOT intended for gaming headset use... That's another genre of use, I believe.

Name that forum so we can suggest less 'judgemental' places to ask? I've no advice to give on neck-band earphones but always state a specific budget when asking and whether wired or wireless... (£10-15 or up to £50 may get very different quality suggestions).

Generally Googling the same question might get you a shortlist to investigate more thoroughly.
 
Probably also must have cables and not be wireless (Bluetooth) despite the modern almost lossless codecs (APT-X for example) for that 'breed' of forum.
The best thing about APT-X is the name, it sounds cool. It's audio quality is not much better than other lossy codecs.
 
Probably also must have cables and not be wireless (Bluetooth) despite the modern almost lossless codecs (APT-X for example) for that 'breed' of forum.
Sorry, but even the best Bluetooth spec doesn't have sufficient bandwidth for a full lossless stereo signal, so it will always be compromised by the codec.

Snobs, not buffs.
That's not fair. There are audiofools who will pay ridiculous money for oxygen-free gold-plated 'speaker cables, but audiophiles have a reasonable quest for excellence in sound reproduction. I'm not one: tinnitus, hearing shot, but I can tell the difference between .wav and 192kb/s MP3.
 
Sorry, but even the best Bluetooth spec doesn't have sufficient bandwidth for a full lossless stereo signal, so it will always be compromised by the codec.
Yes the bandwidth is now available, APT-X Lossless exists. However it only works over very short distances and good reception conditions, and is very prone to dropping to lossy when bandwidth reduces. It's part of the LE Audio standards ie. Bluetooth Low Energy, which is actually an entirely different standard to Bluetooth.
 
...where you might as well be using a wire.
It depends. I have a pair of wired earbuds which are unusable because the cables conduct noise into my ears, I have to sit perfectly still to be able to use them at all. Any touch of the cables makes a ton of noise.

Also you may be sat at your desk very close to the source, and then need to get up to stretch your legs, get a coffee, use the desk as a standing desk (they're all motorised rise/fall where I work) etc. It can be more convenient to have wireless, and for a conference call at work ultimate audio quality is not a concern.
 
Back
Top