Help needed on wiping my HDR-FOX T2 with disk errors

GrimDanFango

Hi all,

I have an HDR-FOX T2 exhibiting the error where it constantly shows "*deleting..." and greys out a lot of the menus as a result. For clarity - I dont need to or wish to save any of the recordings on the device, I just need to get it up and running properly again. I've installed CFW 1.03.12_mod_3.13 and attempted the fixdisk utility which has been running continuously for last 3 days. Initially I was getting lots of "Error at LBA ...." messages, and now I'm getting ones like this:

Code:
The following file contains a corrupt block and can not be fully recovered.                                                                                                                                       
Inode   Pathname                                                                                                                                                                                                   
17121941        /mnt/hd2/My Video/Birds of Paradise_ The Ultimate Quest_20170210_2100.ts                                                                                                                           
LBA: 1164375346 is on partition /dev/sda2, start: 2104515, bad sector offset: 1162270831                                                                                                                           
LBA 1164375346 maps to file system block 145283853 on /dev/sda2                                                                                                                                                   
Block 145283853 is marked as in use                                                                                                                                                                               
Inode: 17121941

Given that I dont need to save my recordings, is it likely to be quicker to just reformat the disk and then let the disk check run on an empty file system? I can't format the drive or do a factory reset from the Humax itself as the installation menu is inaccessible because of the deleting error. I see there is a reformat option in maintenance mode but wasn't sure whether that is what I need to use or not. If the answer is "just let the fixdisk finish" then I'm OK with that, but didnt want to waste time having it try and recover files that I dont need saved. The box came from my in-laws rental cottage and has over 800 recordings on it, so that's probably going to take some time to process, especially if a lot of them are corrupt.

Any advice gratefully received.

Given that I dont need to save my recordings, is it likely to be quicker to just reformat the disk and then let the disk check run on an empty file system?
At prpr's suggestion I on an extremely long running fix-disk I found it much easier to just blank the disk using dd, (and then followed up with a normal Humax reformat).

I knew nothing about dd but after reading a few results of an internet search came up with:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/fixd...lling-on-one-specific-drive.7676/#post-104641

At prpr's suggestion I on an extremely long running fix-disk I found it much easier to just blank the disk using dd, (and then followed up with a normal Humax reformat).

I knew nothing about dd but after reading a few results of an internet search came up with:

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/fixd...lling-on-one-specific-drive.7676/#post-104641

So do I just launch the CLI in maintenance mode, run the command exactly as you have typed it above, allow that to complete, exit maintenance mode and then from the Humax box itself perform a format from the installation menu?

So do I just launch the CLI in maintenance mode, run the command exactly as you have typed it above, allow that to complete, exit maintenance mode and then from the Humax box itself perform a format from the installation menu?
Yes. But it would be useful to know the state of the disk both before and after the dd command. Run this either side and report back:
Code:
humax# smartctl -a /dev/sda
Make sure you don't have any other USB disks plugged in.

Yes. But it would be useful to know the state of the disk both before and after the dd command. Run this either side and report back:
Code:
Make sure you don't have any other USB disks plugged in.

Code:
smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [7405b0-smp-linux-2.6.18-7.1] (local build)                                                                                                                                         
Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org                                                                                                                                       

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===                                                                                                                                                                               
Model Family:     Seagate Pipeline HD 5900.2                                                                                                                                                                       
Device Model:     ST31000424CS                                                                                                                                                                                     
Serial Number:    5VX2NYPF                                                                                                                                                                                         
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 04551a068                                                                                                                                                                               
Firmware Version: SC13                                                                                                                                                                                             
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]                                                                                                                                                               
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical                                                                                                                                                                       
Rotation Rate:    5900 rpm                                                                                                                                                                                         
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]                                                                                                                                                 
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4                                                                                                                                                                   
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)                                                                                                                                                           
Local Time is:    Thu Feb  6 15:17:17 2020 GMT                                                                                                                                                                     
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.                                                                                                                                                         
SMART support is: Enabled                                                                                                                                                                                         

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===                                                                                                                                                                           
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                                                                                                                           
See vendor-specific Attribute list for marginal Attributes.                                                                                                                                                       

General SMART Values:                                                                                                                                                                                             
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity                                                                                                                                           
                                        was never started.                                                                                                                                                         
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.                                                                                                                                   
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed                                                                                                                                   
                                        without error or no self-test has ever                                                                                                                                     
                                        been run.                                                                                                                                                                 
Total time to complete Offline                                                                                                                                                                                     
data collection:                (  623) seconds.                                                                                                                                                                   
Offline data collection                                                                                                                                                                                           
capabilities:                    (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.                                                                                                                                           
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.                                                                                                                               
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new                                                                                                                                       
                                        command.                                                                                                                                                                   
                                        No Offline surface scan supported.                                                                                                                                         
                                        Self-test supported.                                                                                                                                                       
                                        Conveyance Self-test supported.                                                                                                                                           
                                        Selective Self-test supported.                                                                                                                                             
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering                                                                                                                                           
                                        power-saving mode.                                                                                                                                                         
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.                                                                                                                                           
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.                                                                                                                                                   
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.                                                                                                                                         
Short self-test routine                                                                                                                                                                                           
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.                                                                                                                                                                   
Extended self-test routine                                                                                                                                                                                         
recommended polling time:        ( 214) minutes.                                                                                                                                                                   
Conveyance self-test routine                                                                                                                                                                                       
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.                                                                                                                                                                   
SCT capabilities:              (0x103b) SCT Status supported.                                                                                                                                                     
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.                                                                                                                                     
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.                                                                                                                                             
                                        SCT Data Table supported.                                                                                                                                                 

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10                                                                                                                                                               
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:                                                                                                                                                                 
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE                                                                                                                   
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   106   087   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       12516827                                                                                                                   
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   095   095   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   092   092   020    Old_age   Always       -       9162                                                                                                                       
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   065   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       438454036567                                                                                                               
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   071   071   000    Old_age   Always       -       25911                                                                                                                       
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   096   096   020    Old_age   Always       -       4582                                                                                                                       
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       1036                                                                                                                       
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   081   000    Old_age   Always       -       1653587640705                                                                                                               
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       440                                                                                                                         
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   055   044   045    Old_age   Always   In_the_past 45 (Min/Max 45/49 #55)                                                                                                     
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   045   056   000    Old_age   Always       -       45 (0 13 0 0 0)                                                                                                             
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   046   037   000    Old_age   Always       -       12516827                                                                                                                   
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   082   000    Old_age   Always       -       1                                                                                                                           
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   082   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1                                                                                                                           
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0                                                                                                                           

SMART Error Log Version: 1                                                                                                                                                                                         
ATA Error Count: 1042 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)                                                                                                                                       
        CR = Command Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                               
        FR = Features Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                               
        SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                           
        SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                         
        CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                           
        CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                         
        DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                           
        DC = Device Command Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                         
        ER = Error register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                                 
        ST = Status register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                                 
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as                                                                                                                                                         
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,                                                                                                                                                             
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.                                                                                                                                                           

Error 1042 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25721 hours (1071 days + 17 hours)                                                                                                                                 
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.                                                                                                                                 

After command completion occurred, registers were:                                                                                                                                                               
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             
  40 51 00 ff ff ff 0f  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0fffffff = 268435455                                                                                                                                                 

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:                                                                                                                                                     
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name                                                                                                                                                 
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------                                                                                                                                                 
  24 00 01 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:24.333  READ SECTOR(S) EXT                                                                                                                                                   
  b0 d5 01 06 4f c2 00 00   1d+05:59:24.223  SMART READ LOG                                                                                                                                                       
  b0 d5 01 00 4f c2 00 00   1d+05:59:24.220  SMART READ LOG                                                                                                                                                       
  b0 d0 01 00 4f c2 00 00   1d+05:59:24.168  SMART READ DATA                                                                                                                                                       
  ec 00 01 00 00 00 00 00   1d+05:59:24.155  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       

Error 1041 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25721 hours (1071 days + 17 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:21.137  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:21.106  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:19.773  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:19.743  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:18.390  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1040 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25721 hours (1071 days + 17 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:19.773  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:19.743  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:18.360  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:17.027  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1039 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25721 hours (1071 days + 17 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:18.360  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:16.996  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:15.623  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1038 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25721 hours (1071 days + 17 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:16.996  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:15.623  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 15 0d 63 a0 00   1d+05:59:15.542  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00   1d+05:59:14.150  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1                                                                                                                                                                   
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error                                                                                                                   
# 1  Selective offline   Completed without error       00%     25899         -                                                                                                                                     
# 2  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421735982                                                                                                                           
# 3  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421735981                                                                                                                           
# 4  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421735976                                                                                                                           
# 5  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734265                                                                                                                           
# 6  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734264                                                                                                                           
# 7  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734263                                                                                                                           
# 8  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734262                                                                                                                           
# 9  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732545                                                                                                                           
#10  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732544                                                                                                                           
#11  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732543                                                                                                                           
#12  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732542                                                                                                                           
#13  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732541                                                                                                                           
#14  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732540                                                                                                                           
#15  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728863                                                                                                                           
#16  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728862                                                                                                                           
#17  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728861                                                                                                                           
#18  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728853                                                                                                                           
#19  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728852                                                                                                                           
#20  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728851                                                                                                                           
#21  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728850                                                                                                                           

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1                                                                                                                                                     
 SPAN     MIN_LBA     MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS                                                                                                                                                                 
    1  1421735982  1953525167  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    2           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    3           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    4           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    5           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
Selective self-test flags (0x0):                                                                                                                                                                                   
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.                                                                                                                                               
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Adding the option oflags=direct to the dd command may be useful, as I found that it seemed to bypass some sort of error-checking that would prevent a pending disk sector from being written. I acknowledge that this suggestion is verging on cargo cult programming.

I believe you have to be about 110 with a long white beard to know much about dd.

Ran the dd command as advised, all went through OK and cleared the error on the Humax which booted up and prompted for a format which I did without issue. Just done the fixdisk and that also completed without forcing me to do the long test this time, so fingers crossed it looks OK. Here's the subsequent output from the command @prpr suggested:

Code:
smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [7405b0-smp-linux-2.6.18-7.1] (local build)                                                                                                                                         
Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org                                                                                                                                       

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===                                                                                                                                                                               
Model Family:     Seagate Pipeline HD 5900.2                                                                                                                                                                       
Device Model:     ST31000424CS                                                                                                                                                                                     
Serial Number:    5VX2NYPF                                                                                                                                                                                         
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 04551a068                                                                                                                                                                               
Firmware Version: SC13                                                                                                                                                                                             
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]                                                                                                                                                               
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical                                                                                                                                                                       
Rotation Rate:    5900 rpm                                                                                                                                                                                         
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]                                                                                                                                                 
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4                                                                                                                                                                   
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)                                                                                                                                                           
Local Time is:    Thu Feb  6 20:05:59 2020 GMT                                                                                                                                                                     
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.                                                                                                                                                         
SMART support is: Enabled                                                                                                                                                                                         

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===                                                                                                                                                                           
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                                                                                                                           
See vendor-specific Attribute list for marginal Attributes.                                                                                                                                                       

General SMART Values:                                                                                                                                                                                             
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity                                                                                                                                           
                                        was never started.                                                                                                                                                         
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.                                                                                                                                   
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed                                                                                                                                   
                                        without error or no self-test has ever                                                                                                                                     
                                        been run.                                                                                                                                                                 
Total time to complete Offline                                                                                                                                                                                     
data collection:                (  623) seconds.                                                                                                                                                                   
Offline data collection                                                                                                                                                                                           
capabilities:                    (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.                                                                                                                                           
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.                                                                                                                               
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new                                                                                                                                       
                                        command.                                                                                                                                                                   
                                        No Offline surface scan supported.                                                                                                                                         
                                        Self-test supported.                                                                                                                                                       
                                        Conveyance Self-test supported.                                                                                                                                           
                                        Selective Self-test supported.                                                                                                                                             
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering                                                                                                                                           
                                        power-saving mode.                                                                                                                                                         
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.                                                                                                                                           
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.                                                                                                                                                   
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.                                                                                                                                         
Short self-test routine                                                                                                                                                                                           
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.                                                                                                                                                                   
Extended self-test routine                                                                                                                                                                                         
recommended polling time:        ( 214) minutes.                                                                                                                                                                   
Conveyance self-test routine                                                                                                                                                                                       
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.                                                                                                                                                                   
SCT capabilities:              (0x103b) SCT Status supported.                                                                                                                                                     
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.                                                                                                                                     
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.                                                                                                                                             
                                        SCT Data Table supported.                                                                                                                                                 

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10                                                                                                                                                               
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:                                                                                                                                                                 
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE                                                                                                                   
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   102   087   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       72220350                                                                                                                   
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   095   095   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   092   092   020    Old_age   Always       -       9166                                                                                                                       
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   065   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       438454089308                                                                                                               
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   071   071   000    Old_age   Always       -       25915                                                                                                                       
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   096   096   020    Old_age   Always       -       4584                                                                                                                       
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       1054                                                                                                                       
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   081   000    Old_age   Always       -       1653587640705                                                                                                               
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       440                                                                                                                         
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   060   044   045    Old_age   Always   In_the_past 40 (Min/Max 40/51 #55)                                                                                                     
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   040   056   000    Old_age   Always       -       40 (0 13 0 0 0)                                                                                                             
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   042   037   000    Old_age   Always       -       72220350                                                                                                                   
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   082   000    Old_age   Always       -       0                                                                                                                           
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   082   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0                                                                                                                           
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0                                                                                                                           

SMART Error Log Version: 1                                                                                                                                                                                         
ATA Error Count: 1060 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)                                                                                                                                       
        CR = Command Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                               
        FR = Features Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                               
        SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                           
        SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                         
        CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                           
        CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                         
        DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                           
        DC = Device Command Register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                         
        ER = Error register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                                 
        ST = Status register [HEX]                                                                                                                                                                                 
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as                                                                                                                                                         
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,                                                                                                                                                             
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.                                                                                                                                                           

Error 1060 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25914 hours (1079 days + 18 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:36.581  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:36.555  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:35.228  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:35.192  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:33.875  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1059 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25914 hours (1079 days + 18 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:35.228  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:35.192  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:33.849  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:32.512  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1058 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25914 hours (1079 days + 18 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:33.849  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:32.486  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:31.169  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1057 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25914 hours (1079 days + 18 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:32.486  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:31.103  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:29.786  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         

Error 1056 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25914 hours (1079 days + 18 hours)                                                                                                                                 

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --                                                                                                                                                                                             

ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:31.103  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       
  25 00 08 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:29.786  READ DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  35 00 40 ff ff ff ef 00      00:11:29.785  WRITE DMA EXT                                                                                                                                                         
  ec 00 00 58 1d 1c a0 00      00:11:29.760  IDENTIFY DEVICE                                                                                                                                                       

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1                                                                                                                                                                   
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error                                                                                                                   
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     25914         -                                                                                                                                     
# 2  Selective offline   Completed without error       00%     25899         -                                                                                                                                     
# 3  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421735982                                                                                                                           
# 4  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421735981                                                                                                                           
# 5  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421735976                                                                                                                           
# 6  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734265                                                                                                                           
# 7  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734264                                                                                                                           
# 8  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734263                                                                                                                           
# 9  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421734262                                                                                                                           
#10  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732545                                                                                                                           
#11  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732544                                                                                                                           
#12  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732543                                                                                                                           
#13  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732542                                                                                                                           
#14  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732541                                                                                                                           
#15  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421732540                                                                                                                           
#16  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728863                                                                                                                           
#17  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728862                                                                                                                           
#18  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728861                                                                                                                           
#19  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728853                                                                                                                           
#20  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728852                                                                                                                           
#21  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     25898         1421728851                                                                                                                           

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1                                                                                                                                                     
 SPAN     MIN_LBA     MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS                                                                                                                                                                 
    1  1421735982  1953525167  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    2           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    3           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    4           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
    5           0           0  Not_testing                                                                                                                                                                         
Selective self-test flags (0x0):                                                                                                                                                                                   
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.                                                                                                                                               
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Apparently your disk is fine and it was just the Humax s/w that got confused.

In case any future readers come here with a similar problem (the "Deleting" loop), the simple solution with CF is this command rm /mnt/hd1/filebglastop.dat at the Maintenance Mode telnet command-line. It's run automatically at the end of the Maintenance Mode fix-disk (NB Wiki item needs updating for the current CF, which doesn't bother to ask, unlike v2.12), but that's quite a long-winded way to do it.

This problem can also occur on HDs, where fix-disk isn't available. The location of the file filebglastop.dat would be different, presumably /media/sdx1/filebglastop.dat.

Here's the subsequent output from the command @prpr suggested
I don't particularly like the output of 187, 188 and 189, nor those "UNC at LBA ..." errors, but would continue to use it if it were mine. Worth keeping an eye on if you have any more trouble though.

I believe you have to be about 110 with a long white beard to know much about dd.
That would be Trev, then.

In case any future readers come here with a similar problem (the "Deleting" loop), the simple solution with CF is this command rm /mnt/hd1/filebglastop.dat at the Maintenance Mode telnet command-line.
Is that a useful thing to add to my disk recovery article as a first step rather than universally reaching for fixdisk?

Is that a useful thing to add to my disk recovery article as a first step rather than universally reaching for fixdisk?
I think the reason for using fixdisk is that the deleting problem is often accompanied by some file system corruption and it is a better long term solution to fix both at the same time.

I don't particularly like ... those "UNC at LBA ..." errors, ...
The LBA values (0x0fffffff) look a bit dodgy, even if it is a valid 512-byte sector address for a 1TB disk.

According to the self-test log the disk once felt poorly but according to the current stats it got better (no reallocations, no pending sectors) by itself, when dd zeroed itfix-disk tested it with hdparm --read-sector. This also seems dubious and leads to the question of what this disk firmware is actually up to. Open source disk firmware -- now that would be a thing!

Last edited:
the disk once felt poorly but according to the current stats it got better (no reallocations, no pending sectors) by itself
It didn't get better by itself. Writing all those 00's with dd has caused the disk firmware to declare what was probably a previous weak write (or similar) on that dodgy sector to be good now.

I intended "by itself" as a non-technical version of "without remapping any sectors". On reflection the dd operation is doubtless responsible as you say, and maybe the firmware isn't so suspicious after all.

Back