Here We Go Again...

The front line NHS were very far from protected in 2020. Whereas You've been protected since birth. It's currently struggling to maintain the highest standards, just like the rest of society.
Black Hole like several others here have chosen to make the posts of sine24 invisible to them but he still replies to their posts in a desperate attempt for attention even though he knows this.

So (yes, I know), if the aspiration is to get 750,000 people through in 109.5 hours, then that works out at about 114 people per minute. But they seem to stop things while the changeover happens and it seems to take quite a long time, at least 10% from what I've seen so far, so that increases it to about 127 per minute. There are (currently) two streams which means you need to clock at least one person through per stream every second.
Looking at what's happened so far, the rate is nothing remotely approaching that.
So (!) either they have to increase the number of streams, or move people along at a much brisker pace and without stopping.
Otherwise the aspiration is going to fall way short. Looks like no-one has managed to do the maths. thus far. I wonder how long it will take for somebody to twig. Watch with interest at what will or won't happen.

Thank goodness that's over (national mourning). I've heard enough Nimrod to last a lifetime and, being in the process of my own bereavement, I've found the whole thing extremely unwelcome.

Thank goodness that's over (national mourning). I've heard enough Nimrod to last a lifetime and, being in the process of my own bereavement, I've found the whole thing extremely unwelcome.
It's certainly been bringing up old memories for me, even though that was about 20 months ago (bloody Covid and lockdown!) Just when you think you've reached the other side (of grief and change), this happens. Haven't noticed Nimrod, but the march played umpteen times during the long gun carriage movements has become a bit wearing.

Note to anyone planning future state funerals. Forget the horses. I lost count of how many were mis-behaving over the last few days.

Back to some real news now, maybe. Ah, strike that, after a few days MPs on their annual jollies to the party conferences. Not that there's anything for them to sort out! (Sarcasm)

I have been thinking that with an aging Charlie and unfortunate accident with Wills we could quickly move to a young Georgie as king and it could then be several generations before the country has to go through this again.

Note to anyone planning future state funerals. Forget the horses. I lost count of how many were mis-behaving over the last few days.
That's why navy personnel pull the gun carriage these days (since Victoria's funeral).
But QE2 loved the blighters, so it would have been hard not to have any in her case.
Maybe Charles will change things ... but probably not.

Haven't noticed Nimrod
I forget which channels, I have typically been taking refuge from the blanket coverage by tuning to the likes of Quest, Yesterday, Dave etc, and they suspended advertising between the 8th and ~12th, replacing it with a place holder and solemn music. It was a relief when adverts came back. Then it happened again yesterday until midnight. One of the channels had Nimrod as the music, spliced into a loop.

I have been thinking that with an aging Charlie and unfortunate accident with Wills we could quickly move to a young Georgie as king and it could then be several generations before the country has to go through this again.
Don't rule out Meghan tampering with their brakes and popping on the crown.

She'd have to get through Charlotte first. I expect that to be no mean feat, if it ever happens, which it almost certainly won't.

Last edited:
the aspiration is to get 750,000 people through...
they have to increase the number of streams, or move people along at a much brisker pace and without stopping...
Otherwise the aspiration is going to fall way short.
So it's reported as 250,000+, with the final figure still to be tallied. That seems more realistic although still more than I'd have expected.

So it's reported as 250,000+, with the final figure still to be tallied. That seems more realistic although still more than I'd have expected.
I was at Winston Churchill's lying in state in 1965, also in Westminster Hall. I went through in the early evening - I don't think I waited more than 20 minutes or half an hour at the most. I think the published figures were 320,000 people over the 3 days, with waiting times never longer than 3 or 4 hours. I seem to remember there were many more people in the Hall at once than there were last week - perhaps 5 or 6 abreast on each side - yet it didn't seem crowded, and there was plenty of time to take in the atmosphere. The main difference, I guess, is that there was no social media to whip up a public frenzy, and the traditional media didn't report it endlessly.

Best thing about Churchill's funeral being on TV was after us all gathering round at a neighbour's to watch it my dad decided it was worth getting our own TV for the World Cup the year after. :)

Best thing about the coverage of ER2's passing is that more people will have been driven to discover the wonders of on demand TV services such as Netflix.

I can't be sure whether this is a memory from the time (live) or a later (maybe years later), but I have the vaguest of recollections of watching Churchill's coffin procession on a crappy old TV (405 lines, rounded edge screen, valves that kept failing [PCF 80 IIRC]).

Back