Here We Go Again!

Hopefully af123's Custom Firmware schedule / favourites backup will make the transition a little easier

If we're on 1.02.28, does this mean we'll get auto-retuned whether we like it or not (unless, of course, we've taken Black Hole's avoiding 'trick')?

Which trick would that be? The only trick to avoiding a retune nag (and defaulting to retune if not repeatedly postponed) is af's disable-dso, or not to install 1.02.27/28 in the first place (that means 1.02.20) and defend it with disable-ota and\or a 4.20 reminder. In the case of 1.02.20 you still get the nag, it just doesn't default to retuning.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it, looks like we may have a full retune coming up again!

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/07/31/dmol_announces_freeview_epg_revamp_for_september/

If we're on 1.02.28, does this mean we'll get auto-retuned whether we like it or not (unless, of course, we've taken Black Hole's avoiding 'trick')?
If it's a complete revamp, you'll have to re-tune anyway and all your huge recording schedules will be void. So I really don't see a problem, I've had to do a manual re-tune on my box to get the olympic channels and four seven ( though god knows why I want it) so the box is very selective on re-tunes. I can see a problem when people live near other transmitters but I can't see why a re-tune makes the slightest bit of difference to the majority, in fact it keeps the box up to date.

I guess it's just that you have to make a note of your recording schedule / favourites list and, as you say, do a manual re-tune in multi-transmitter areas

Someone asks a question , I give him the answer then up pops all the oh don't do that, it'll re-tune etc. Like I said if there is a major re-tune we'll all have to do it, all your recording schedules ( mine's horizon and that's it)will be invalid so you'll have to re-enter them anyway, that will take you at least 5 mins and your/my favourites will also be invalid. All I said was 28 or 27 fixes the favourite problem. I've had my box almost 2 years and not once have I had a re-tune also I had a 9200( now upstairs still working) and that hasn't re-tuned in over 3 years. Just because a few people in change over areas are getting requests to retune doesn't make it a bug on the contrary the box is being kept up to date for the vast majority of users. The multiple transmitter problem is unfortunately a relic of the old pal transmitters ie too many nothing to do with humax

Just because you have not been inconvenienced doesn't mean it is not an inconvenience in general.

OK, so you only have one item in your schedule - I assure you most of us have a lot more than that, particularly those who have wives and children to keep happy. That's why the CF makes daily backups and can take account of channel shifts when it restores. No use when you're away for a couple of weeks though.

I agree that a major channel reshuffle would knacker your recordings anyway, but we have also experienced retune "invitations" (that become "opt outs" in 27/28) for mere additions of unwanted services that can be safely ignored. I wish to manage when and what happens, and I choose to do so by sticking with .20 for the time being. Others might decide the pros outweigh the cons with .28 - but run the disable-dso defence (which can fail under very specific circumstances) none-the-less.

You seem very defensive of a position which is clearly in a minority. All I can say is, wait until it happens to you. I don't presume to tell people what to do, I make sure they are aware of all the factors so they can make the choice that best suits them.

I'm with brianmt here. BH, just because you've been inconvenienced doesn't mean it's an inconvenience in general. You've taken a very strong line on retuning and on AR, neither of which have ever given me - or, I suspect, most other Hummy users who do not live in problem areas or spend weeks on end away from home - the least cause for concern. Let's get a sense of proportion here.

Sorry, I thought I reported fact and anything that is opinion I state as opinion. If I've gone beyond that I apologise, but also wish to note that many others rarely distinguish opinion from fact.

Been thinking about this, and I'm not ashamed of bringing the matter to everyone's attention. The reason is that, in engineering terms, although the frequency of incidence may be low the consequence can be severe. It is not a minor issue to have your recording schedule unexpectedly wiped out.

Okay, it's not a safety-critical system, but I meant "severe" in terms of operational capability.

Bad idea.....in that case, it would be just as easy for the Martians to take it over (as long as they had a Mac - remember Independence Day)

Oh yes, I thought you meant Independence Day. If Goldblum can write a virus to infect an unseen operating system running on processor technology from another world, I want him on the team!

You seem very defensive of a position which is clearly in a minority. All I can say is, wait until it happens to you. I don't presume to tell people what to do, I make sure they are aware of all the factors so they can make the choice that best suits them.
On the contrary I'm not defensive at all, I just gave the correct answer to a question, you seem to spent a large proportion of your time finding "ah but" problems. I run cf and yes it's good and I occasionally use it but I can exist without it, 28 works well for me and I suspect the majority of users. Instead of whinging do a survey, find out who are actually having constant re-tunes and what area the live in, i bet you'll find they all live in change over areas . As I said before I had to do a manual re-tune just to load challenge, really and 47 ( no auto retunes on mine), god knows why but my wife wanted one and one of the 4 kids wanted another. Stop assuming you are the only on e with a family​

Back