hmt files with New_ prepend

CharlesW

Recently I have found a strange issue with recent recordings on my Foxsat-hdr. I have found a fix, but cannot understand what is happening or why. This seems to be happening with all/most (?) recent recordings.

After I record a programme, four files are generated - "programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.ts", "programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.nts", "programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.hmt",
and "New_ programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.hmt".

I find that I am unable to play the recorded video.

Analysing the two hmt files, the "programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.hmt" file includes guide text etc, whereas the "New_ programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.hmt" is much shorter and does not contain guide data. However, both files point to "New_ programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.ts".

If I then rename "programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.ts" and "programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.nts" to "New_ programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.ts" and "New_ programmeName_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.nts" all is well and I can play the files.

I attach the two hmt files, in case they shed any light on what is happening.

I have recently run a fix-disk via SSH and no errors were flagged.

Thank you for any assistance anyone can give me.

PS I have just noticed there is a "newk" plugin, but not sure how this will work if there are two hmt files, one prepended with New_ and the other not.

Attachments

• Help_20210916_2101.hmt
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
  • New_ Help_20210916_2101.hmt
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'll try newk. However, I have had my Foxsat-hdr for nearly ten years now and this is the first time I have been starting to see these issues.

Thanks for that. I find that I already have newk installed, so am even more confused. Perhaps if I upgrade from V4.1.2 to 4.1.3??

Thanks for that. I find that I already have newk installed, so am even more confused. Perhaps if I upgrade from V4.1.2 to 4.1.3??
I'm sorry for not being clear. I was not recommending NEWK but was suggesting that NEWK is somehow part of the cause.

No your comments about newk were very helpful, since I was not aware of it until today. It has led me to examine the newk log file. What I have found is that newk renames "New_ programmeName*." to "programmeName.*" [ignore the inconsistent ***s - somehow what I type gets changed and interprets the text as italic] , but not the reference to the .ts file embedded inside the .hmt file, so naturally the Foxsat-hdr can't find the file it is looking for. Only renaming the .ts (and .nts) files back as they were with the New_ prefix does the recorded video play. Perhaps the permissions on the hmt file have been corrupted. I'll take a look with my Linux box later. All this is a new phenomenom. I've now installed V4.1.3, so will be interested to see if the problem continues. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again for your interest and help.

If you are still having problems with this I would remove the Newk package, I think that is what Luke is hinting at

No your comments about newk were very helpful, since I was not aware of it until today. It has led me to examine the newk log file. What I have found is that newk renames "New_ programmeName*." to "programmeName.*" [ignore the inconsistent ***s - somehow what I type gets changed and interprets the text as italic] , but not the reference to the .ts file embedded inside the .hmt file, so naturally the Foxsat-hdr can't find the file it is looking for. Only renaming the .ts (and .nts) files back as they were with the New_ prefix does the recorded video play. Perhaps the permissions on the hmt file have been corrupted. I'll take a look with my Linux box later. All this is a new phenomenom. I've now installed V4.1.3, so will be interested to see if the problem continues. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again for your interest and help.
Have a look at installing the fixfilepaths package. This fixes inconsitencies amongst the sidecar files, including ensuring that the .hmt file points to the .ts file.

Back