How do I get Harmony 650 to recognise two Humax's on different channels?

Criky

I have two identical Fox T2 recorders each with a dedicated remote. Remotes have been changed using 'OK' and '0' to allow separate operating channels. One acts on Channel one with the second working on the sixth and last available channel. Working fine and of course no interference using rechanneled remotes.

My universal 'Harmony 650' remote (excellent bit of kit) works fine with the default channel one recorder. But cannot set up the second recorder as Harmony will not accept 'OK' and '0' to allow a channel six setting to match second remote.

Any ideas on how to get Harmony to recognise the re channeled second Humax?

Many thanks...........

Good to know there's a way but can you be more specific please. Age and intellect not on my side. Thankyou.

How did you program your Harmony in the first place? Logitech have a programming system which involves hooking up the controller through a computer to their website, and you choose a selection of command sets to install on it. What you need is the HDR-FOX command set in Mode 1 and in another mode (2-6) if you are trying to operate two HDR-FOXes.

You will need to set the HDR-FOXes mode using an original handset, I doubt a Harmony will be able to do that.

The alternative is to teach the Harmony an alternative mode from an original handset operating in that mode.

Thank you. Original Harmony programming was done by PC connection and downloading the default Humax software. All went well. Did not realise there may be other modes available. I will be exploring this and the other links you provided over the weekend in the hope of progress. Fall back as reminded is to program the Harmony directly from the channel six Humax remote. I see a ray of hope.........
Will report back on.

My Humax Youview box uses the default code set and my Humax Freesat box uses code set 2 so I know for sure that there at least two codesets available for download from the Harmony database. If you cannot find code set 6 then you could try changing that box to use code set 2 (need the original remote for that to tell the box which code set to use as already advised).

All done. I did not realise (it takes knowledge and a prompt) that Harmony recognised Humax remotes could work on up to six different channels. Spent some time to set up - you must not rush - and fine tuned the second remote with various button changes and Harmony screen changes.

I did need to 'teach' Harmony about the original remote volume controls. Success with nose to nose. But a caution as you only need to quickly 'touch' the vol up and vol down quickly. Any lingering on the buttons will cause Harmony to think you need to hold buttons for a long time when in use. Volume soared and collapsed accordingly until I realised my mistake.

The only issue on which further advice would be appreciated. I have a Blaupunkt TV with over a dozen input connections of which I only use four - Freeview and three HDMI inputs. I have satellite and pc set up on Harmony as well. When starting either of the Humax's it goes hunting for the right input but often overshoots and I have to go through the list after 'did that fix it' screens until I get to the right one. It does not repair for the next time and I wondered if there was a fix to ensure it hit the right input first time. Not a major issue after a very successful set up of Harmony creating much space on my side table.

So in summary I can now record four programs with my two machines the second of which cost £30 a couple of weeks ago. A good setup.

As a final comment I find it best to 'switch off my system' (via Harmony) before changing from one receiver to another. Only takes a few more seconds and saves any glitches that might occur on a straight switch.

Thanks to all for viewing and both that contributed.

I did need to 'teach' Harmony about the original remote volume controls.
Why? It is intended that the volume up down and mute buttons always "punch through" to control the TV volume. Just set the Humax volumes individually to max (or equalise then with other sources), and then leave them like that and control listening volume with the TV.

The only issue on which further advice would be appreciated. I have a Blaupunkt TV with over a dozen input connections of which I only use four - Freeview and three HDMI inputs. I have satellite and pc set up on Harmony as well. When starting either of the Humax's it goes hunting for the right input but often overshoots and I have to go through the list after 'did that fix it' screens until I get to the right one. It does not repair for the next time and I wondered if there was a fix to ensure it hit the right input first time.
Blame the TV. It's a pain when they don't boot to the same input as they were last set to.

Just to be clear: Are you setting up activities on the Harmony to control viewing from each of the inputs on the TV. This would be the normal way of doing things and would let you tell the Harmony which device the volume control should be used for etc. It would also let you tell the TV which input it should be using. It sounds possibly as if you are relying on CEC to do this which I would recommend turning off on the TV and on the input devices and let the Harmony do this.

Possible tip: If your TV does not let you select an input directly but needs you to toggle through the list one by then it can occasionally get out of step with where the Harmony thinks it is. What I have done with my 650 remote control is program the Up and Down keys just below the screen to manually toggle through the inputs so I can get it back in step.

Last edited:
Again your answers are helpful and I have decided that a Hi fi system is only as good as the time spent setting it up. I have that time and have learnt a great deal over the last few days by comment, trial and error. I am pleased to say I now have a fully functioning system which is excellent and does all that is wanted. My last and current task is setting up a printed table to remind me (old age) of the various settings I have for all the components of my system. I can only recommend Harmony to others for its 'complex simplicity' and great functionality. You just have to stick with it and keep trying.

Back