How do I stream to PC?

Jeremy

OK, I'm new here and my HDR FOX T2 is brand new. I'm hoping that I can stream recorded content from the FOX T2 to a Win7 (X64) PC across the home network. All networking is on and working, no internal firewall, Media Sharing & FTP is on in the FOX T2 settings, and I'm currently running the latest HUMAX firmware. I can see the recorded programs in WMP and I can see the individual .ts / .hmt / .nts files in Windows Explorer. Nothing will play them. WMP (12) will not play them, neither will VLC, and XBMC doesn't even see them. What do I need to do? Can I do this? Do I need the latest customised software from this site? The recording I just made to play with this is not HD.

Refer HERE (click).

As long as they are StDef only, XMBC should see them and play them (I've done it). VLC will play them but needs some help to find them. No need for custom firmware/software for the above.

First you need to check your (official) firmware is up-to-date, media streaming only became possible with 1.02.20.

Refer HERE (click).

As long as they are StDef only, XMBC should see them and play them (I've done it). VLC will play them but needs some help to find them. No need for custom firmware/software for the above.

First you need to check your (official) firmware is up-to-date, media streaming only became possible with 1.02.20.

Thanks! Discovered I was not using XBMC correctly! Plays SD recordings perfectly. Now to HD - going to read the link you sent me but, in short, can I do that by using the modified F/W?

Not by streaming, we lack a suitable streaming client, but the custom software can be used to download a decrypted version which can then by viewed with Splash Player Lite. Alternatively, recent developments mean you can decrypt the file automatically on the HDR and then mount the drive as a network share, which then makes the file accessible to Splash as if it was local.

You can do this without custom software, if you are prepared to use FTP and a PC program called Foxy to tweak the recording files, and then copy them to a USB drive to transfer to the PC. All is covered in the references.

Correction: XMBC will, in fact, access the HDR-FOX T2 content by DLNA streaming using the standard server including HiDef recordings, as long as auto-unprotect (not Foxy) has been used to clear the content protection the HDR-FOX imposes. It runs a little stuttery on my system. For some reason it does not find HiDef recordings listed in the top level directory, only subdirectories.

Not by streaming, we lack a suitable streaming client, but the custom software can be used to download a decrypted version which can then by viewed with Splash Player Lite. Alternatively, recent developments mean you can decrypt the file automatically on the HDR and then mount the drive as a network share, which then makes the file accessible to Splash as if it was local.

Doesn't that mean you would, in effect, be streaming from the network share?

You can call it that if you like, but "streaming" is usually taken to imply there is a server and a client, not just a client accessing a file system.

If you install auto-unprotect (on top of the custom firmware) then you can stream HD content in the same way as SD, I.e. via uPnP/DLNA to something like XBMC.

I agree the file is rendered streamable ...but XBMC won't play the HiDef file. I don't know of anything that will stream it, except an HD-FOX.

Correction: see Post #4

I agree the file is rendered streamable ...but XBMC won't play the HiDef file. I don't know of anything that will stream it, except an HD-FOX.
I managed to get it to play in XBMC on my iPad... Buzz has a go too but is jerky.

Fair enough, but we are talking Win7. The Linux version of VLC is reported to be more capable too.

If you install auto-unprotect (on top of the custom firmware) then you can stream HD content in the same way as SD, I.e. via uPnP/DLNA to something like XBMC.
I can't install the custom F/W at all. Followed the instructions and using the same method (USB) as I did to upgrade the official F/W from HUMAX. Nothing happens at all - the light on my USB stick flickers...and that's it. No messages, no codes...

Yes I picked the right F/W, and the file didn't need renaming - 'HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_1.14_upgrade.hdf'

I even formatted the USB stick. It's the same stick I used the upgrade the official F/W, which was no problem.
You need to rename the file to HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf

Update: I'm streaming SD & HD in the following way.

SD - No Brainer. XBMC streams no problem once the HDR FOX T2 is specified as a source.
HD - Installed custom firmware, then 'auto-unprotect, 'virtual-disk' and 'mediatomb'. XBMC will then 'find' MediaTomb and allow you to specify it as a source. Once the HD recordings are copied to the new 'virtual' folder on the FOX T2 (thus decrypted), XBMC plays them beautifully on my Win7 PC.

Job done! Only thing I can't see (unless I'm missing a trick) is the ability to copy / move a recording on the FOX T2 using the webif rather than on the FOX T2 itself. No great issue if you can't do that, or can you...?

No, we don't have that yet.

Thanks for that, I didn't know XMBC would play HiDef. I'm curious that auto-unprotect would not have been sufficient on its own? The standard DLNA server decrypts on the fly once the flags have been appropriately tweaked.

No, we don't have that yet.

Thanks for that, I didn't know XMBC would play HiDef. I'm curious that auto-unprotect would not have been sufficient on its own? The standard DLNA server decrypts on the fly once the flags have been appropriately tweaked.
I seem to have left myself with a mess on the virtual drive though - I have an empty folder there and I can no way of deleting it - either on the FOX T2 or the webif.

Back