How to remove Orange filter?

tolksee

I've seen that people have removed the orange filter on the front pannel, but I can't see any instructions on how to do this anywhere. Has anyone got any info/photos on the method?

Thanks.

What do you need?
  1. Remove anti-tamper label using hair dryer to soften the adhesive;
  2. Open up the box;
  3. Remove the display assembly (carefully disconnect the cable by easing the connector);
  4. Remove the orange filter from the display;
  5. Refit in reverse order of removal.
This much I gathered from what is there already. One learns by doing.

Wanted to be sure of which screws to unscrew really on the front part. I opend up the box and can see that you need to remove 3 wires from the main body to detatch the front, but it seems the PCD is screwed to the black front and it's not obvious what should be unscrewed to release it (or even if that's the righ tthing to do to get to the orange filter.) Don't want to go unscrewing things that I shouldn't be, and end up breaking it....

Are you aware that this will invalidate your guarantee?

I have done two of my boxes, and would suggest that it would not be wise to tackle it if you are not confident with such things. You do need to remove most, if not all of the screws holding the PCB, and pry a number of plastic tabs to finally release the PCB. It took me around about 25 mins to do one box, but the effort is well worth it.:)

I wouldn't worry about the anti tamper seal, I did the hair dryer trick first time, but you could still tell that it had been tampered with. The second time I simply cut through it with a knife, by the time that you have dismantled it, and put it back together again a couple of times, it is quite obvious what you have been doing.

I'm with Brian. I haven't seen a write up on exactly how to do this anywhere, which is a shame as it is more difficult than I first imagined. In retrospect I would had have taken step by step pictures as I worked to help others.

I didn't have trouble, and nor should anyone who's comfortable working on the insides of computers etc., but for everyone else a little hand holding would undoubtedly by useful.

I suggest that Black Hole should do it to his own box, taking the appropriate photographs, and then fully documenting it in his own inimitable style. This would be very helpful to lots of people who are thinking of going Green, but are unsure exactly what to do.:D

I have no qualms about going in, it's something I have been considering for documentation purposes (although I have no particular desire to remove my filter, I am inclined to swap my drive while it still works). It ain't gonna be happening this side of Christmas though. When I do I won't be using Biblical language in the write-up.

I just had a skim of YouTube to see whether there is a strip down on there already - did you know there's someone calling himself "endpointuk" posting about the CF? Not a name I recognise from here!

I always find it fascinating that some people find the display too dim - for me it's too bright ( ie its visible ). Fortunately that's easier too fix - a bit of black tape does it, warranty intact.

I always find it fascinating that some people find the display too dim - for me it's too bright ( ie its visible ). Fortunately that's easier too fix - a bit of black tape does it, warranty intact.
There's always one.:rolleyes:

They do vary (see HERE, although I'm wondering whether the lower HDR had gone into dim mode before I took the photo - can't easily check now).

I have just gone green with my third HDR, and this this time I managed to do it within 15 minutes (my personal best time:)).

It's only 13 screws to remove, 2 cables to unplug, and about a dozen or so plastic tabs to push or pull. Once the orange filter has been removed, put it all back together.:)

i tried a few months ago and wimped out at the plastic tabs stage. I'll have another go ASAP, when can find a time the box isn't recording something!

Back