How to remove Orange filter?

It seems to describe the process reasonably well, and would be a useful addition to the WiKi.

i was always going to be - it was just a matter of pulling my finger out! I did have to abort a recording, but thats OK, it was something for SWMBO..!

I think that Humax should sack whoever came up with the idea of fitting the orange filter in the first place.:D

I have just found the following illustrated guide on YouTube, it shows how to remove the orange filter from the HDR-FOX T2, and may be of interest to anyone thinking of going green.

I found that I didn't need to remove the PCB from the front panel. Getting to having the front panel off is very easy. The connectors are push fit or pinch-to-remove types, like in laptops/PCs.

Once the front panel is off, remove the screws from the left end of the circuit board and you can ease it out carefully, just enough to expose the dreadful orange filter. I eased it off with a screwdriver from behind the PCB.

The only mishap for me was the unaccountable loss of one screw! No idea where it went, on a plain smooth carpet!

i tried this way the first time, but was unhappy with the strain on the PCB, and concerned with snapping it. Thats why I removed it completely.... aas you proved, it CAN be done, I just found for the peace of mind, it was easier to remove the PCB.

Oh, and I too have a missing screw! Central one that holds the front panel on. Again, smooth unpatterned carpet and tidy work area...

I agree and think that it is probably safer to remove the PCB completely for the minimal extra effort required.

All 13 of my screws went back in.:)

Check your turn-ups! (Not that many people wear trousers with turn-ups these days, but I notice they are in the shops again :rolleyes:) I find the best way to find a missing object on the floor is to get right down to look at floor level (or use an inspection mirror) for a worm's eye view. Could be still in the machine of course.

i tried this way the first time, but was unhappy with the strain on the PCB, and concerned with snapping it. Thats why I removed it completely.... aas you proved, it CAN be done, I just found for the peace of mind, it was easier to remove the PCB.
There is not only the worry about snapping the PCB, there is also the very real possibilty of broken PCB tracks (conections) or broken solder joints.

In addition to viewing at ground level, I recommend using a torch with a good beam which you sweep around (at ground level) - this tends to highlight things which can otherwise be ignored.

I'm only counting 12 screws in my list, HERE, which one am I missing?
You are missing the 5th screw from the PCB in step 10, this is hidden from view by the cable on the YouTube video. Also, in step 7, the 4-way and 12-way plugs both require squeezing whilst removing.

Another good way to find things is to walk around the area with bare feet.:)
My father lost a nut on some pruning shears. Out came my son with his collection of powerful "toy" magnets. Rolled them around on the grass, dragged them up the side of the tree etc. What had been a fruitless hour searching by eye, was accomplished in about five minutes.

Oh, and I too have a missing screw! Central one that holds the front panel on. Again, smooth unpatterned carpet and tidy work area...

Dave, my missing screw never turned up! I reckon it may have rolled under the TV to the mass of wires behind my equipment and I can't be bothered to search for it.

So, presumably this works on the YouView box too? Although the LED display on that seems much brighter.

I've now done ours. Not too hard - actually getting the orange film off was the most nerve-wracking bit as it wasn't easy to find the separation between film and the 'glass' of the display.
The result is brilliantly clearer (you can actually see the icons at the top as well) but really a touch too bright for me. However, that's easily fixed if you have the custom firmware redring pack as you can knock the brightness down from 100%, which should also extend the life of the display a bit. I'm using 60% at present, and I've also dimmed the ring to 80% when the box is full on.

Back