How to remove Orange filter?

Loss of brightness with these types of display is 'normal'. The clock part of the display on the 9200 (which was lit all the time) got very dim after a few years.
This is another reason to take out the orange filter. Having done so, using redring I have reduced the awake brightness to 60%. This is adequate for normal viewing in a shaded room but should both reduce the rate of loss of brightness (I hope) and also allow me headroom to turn it up when it does get dimmer.

You have to laugh. I replaced my TV over the weekend. The new TV can display 1080p, the old could 'only' display up to 1080i. Having changed the V-Format setting in the Hummy menu, I noticed that I have a new symbol on the front display adjacent to the HD segment, it's says 'Full' so, obviously, I am now viewing a Full HD picture.

The reason I am posting this here is simply because, as the Full segment hasn't been illuminated before, its much brighter than the rest of the display and has become a minor niggle to my OCD!

Like most things in life, you tend not to notice slow degradation until compared with something less degraded.

Interesting - can't see any difference on my VFD. If anyone wants to test, install the new vfdtest package and run it from the command line to illuminate all segments:
Code:
humax# vfdtest on
humax# vfdtest off

My Hummy is over two years old, this is the first time in all that time, that this segment has ever been illuminated.

On my new boxes, there are no noticeable differences in the brightness in any VFD segments.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21377722135.596087.jpg

Mine's well over 2 years old too.. I expected to see some degradation on the unused segments but can't see anything. The last segment on the disk space image may be slightly brighter but otherwise they all look the same. It will be interesting to see what others report.

Well having just run the VFD test package, I have to say I seem to have made a mountain out of a molehill. It definitely is brighter, but not by as much as I thought.

Clipboard01.jpg

You need to use the Upload a File button at the bottom right of the reply box.

Just tried vfdtest, vdftest on illuminated all segments, as expected but vfdtest off set the display to blank e.g. all segments off. Normal display was only restored after a re-boot, is this expected behaviour ?

Front-icons2.png

Yes, it doesn't know what was on the screen originally. Playing something or changing channel will restore most of it otherwise it goes back to normal following a reboot.

Looks like the last segment of your disk space chart is slightly brighter like mine (and that vfdtest is missing the penultimate segment!)

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

By penultimate, do you mean the text blocks are 7x4 instead of 7x5 or something else?

The disk space gauge is the icon in the top right corner. It is missing a bar in EP's photo, so either the vfdtest package isn't driving it or it's broken (but it's the same in af's photo). However, as you say, the text blocks should be 7x5!

af123 was referring to the disk space box (top right of display), but you are correct in saying that there are also 12 (7X1 pixel) columns missing from the display
BTW
I noticed that all segments were displayed when af123 took this picture back in March 2012

Front-icons.jpg

New version of vfdtest uploaded and I've added a diagnostic of the same name that installs the package if necessary then illuminates all the segments for 30 seconds.

Just a quick note, that Web-If >> Diagnostics >> Run Diagnostic >> vfdtest requires the Humax to be placed in standby to restore the display back to normal

I have just removed another three orange filters, including one from a HDR-FOX T2/GB/RE. This one did not have the chassis earth cable and screw, so only had 12 screws to remove.

Back