Humax hdd not recognised

Dbacc

Hi all, new to this site , After searching a lot of forums about humax 1000s not reading the HDD I tried most of the suggestions and none worked for me
So as a last resort before throwing the machine out I tried one more thing that no one suggested, that is disconnect the HDD leads from the motherboard
Then go to settings do an update, then factory reset, after that reconnect the HDD leads (the power lead last) then go to settings - storage, and hopefully
The HDD will be recognized. It worked for me. Hope this helps you.

Sorry this didn’t work
I will try anything else
Have tried nearly everything I think humax just want me to buy a new one ?
But when you look at the amount of boxes with the same fault
There has to be a major issue

Hi
As per hundreds of other people ,having established that the Hard drive was not faulty, by trying a new one, I loaded a software backup copy 3.00.96 from Humax website on a flash drive ( Fat 32) and loaded through the front USB socket ( power up wall socket and at same time press channel down arrow on front of box . Removing usb stick and pressing power button on machine, after software update loaded shows on window. This worked with hard drive/ recordings/ pause live working / showing again for 2 days !!!
This intermittent fault point 99% to a software error on box .
Its a great pity Humax are really the only company when considering a freesat box purchase...…..

If a fault is demonstrably repeatable, and enough people complain, Humax will probably do something about it.

If a fault is demonstrably repeatable, and enough people complain, Humax will probably do something about it.
It is well known to be a hardware fault. Humax at one time offered a repair service on affected boxes and then a cheapish exchange for a refurbished box. I am not sure what the situation is currently.

Ah, OK, a hardware fault is much more of a problem to roll out a solution for than a firmware fault. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a firmware patch can get around a hardware fault though.

Have had same problem, replacing Pvr with 1010s but would like to also get the 1000s working again.

Freesat.co.uk have this to say about it:
Loss of hard drive and recordings
We are aware that some customers have experienced issues with their box failing to connect to their hard drive, meaning recording functionality, including live pause/rewind, and stored recordings are unavailable. We have been working with Humax to identify the root cause and Humax are now able to provide a resolution for affected customers. If you have experienced this issue, you will need to contact the Humax customer care centre for further information and details of how it can be resolved.
Humax customer care centre: 0344 318 8800

I don't know how old that statement is. Haven't phoned Humax. Don't know if thier resolution is still pay lots for a refurb. Has anyone recent experience with them?

Have changed disk with like for like Seagate pipeline/video 500gb, it has never been more than 60% full so not the excessive fullness as some suggest/suspect. No joy with that.

Does anyone know what resistor and where it is, also its name spec etc? I could then try replacing it.

It is over 5 years old so no warranty problems.

Does anyone know what resistor and where it is, also its name spec etc? I could then try replacing it.
If we knew then the information would be shared and there remains the possibility that it is a capacitor rather than a resistor. Either you decide the box is a write off and start changing the obvious resistors and capacitors on the motherboard and see if you can find a solution or you send the box away for repair or you ring up Humax and see if they are still offering the reduced price exchange. Your choice.

Just been in touch with Humax.
They will deal with it by warranty under 2 years and will do the replacement scheme between 2 and 4 years. For over 4 years old then it is regarded as a normal lifespan and they will only offer you a chance to buy new.

They suggested a factory reset as a last ditch attempt.

I asked if anyone knew the resistor as a lot of the posts are older and new information comes out all the time.

I asked if anyone knew the resistor as a lot of the posts are older and new information comes out all the time.
I am not criticising you for asking; plenty of people would like to know. There was on a single occasion a picture posted of a circuit board with a damaged resistor but I haven't got the time or energy to track it down. Have you considered Digi repair https://www.digirepairs.co.uk/produ...-plus-freeview-plus-youview-plus-box-repairs/ £54.95; no fee if they can't fix it; 6 months warranty if they do.

Hard drive not recognized solved. Open the case remove all cables from the back of unit except the hdmi and power leave on and connected. With a heat gun heat the heat sink and chip until the screen goes grey no picture leave to cool the screen comes back also the hard drive .What happens is the hard drive overload in the chip gets reset good luck

Hard drive not recognized solved. Open the case remove all cables from the back of unit except the hdmi and power leave on and connected. With a heat gun heat the heat sink and chip until the screen goes grey no picture leave to cool the screen comes back also the hard drive .What happens is the hard drive overload in the chip gets reset good luck
Really? That sounds very risky to me, and I would be somewhat surprised if there is protection built in – let alone that it can be "reset" by heating it! But I suppose, if there is nothing to lose...

If you have any corroborating sources please provide links, obfuscated if necessary.

Last edited:
Yes really works I had a dud humax I tried everything on the posts .I was aware there was a fix you can send your humas away and pay a lot of money . I am fairly sure this is what they do. All chips have a heat overload trip .I thought it was a logical fix to try it. IT works . i would make sure that your fan is running check with the top off it is heat switched if it does not come on wire it allway on . On the 12v feed into the humax easy soldering job . All i can say give a go because as it is the humax is a piece of junk

I don't think it is reballing the temperature is to low about 90 c but it does activate the over heating shut down when it cools everything is reset along with the hard drive

All chips have a heat overload trip
No they don't. Generally speaking, if a chip gets too hot it just dies. Modern processor chips implement performance throttling, but that is only die temperature dependent and is removed if the temperature goes down (not up). Power control devices have thermal shut-down, but again that is not reset by warming it up!

Proof is in the pudding it works
The problem is, we only have your say-so on that. There's no actual evidence for what you're saying, until somebody here decides to replicate your results... and succeeds.

Last edited:
Well all I can say is try it I have 2 Humax hdr 1000s that now work . If I had seen this post I would have tried it nothing to loose . I have not tried this on other models , I tried new hard drives reboots all the usual things .I do repair everything I can with a good success rate the humax has been one of the most difficult to repair .

Have had same problem, replacing Pvr with 1010s but would like to also get the 1000s working again.

Freesat.co.uk have this to say about it:
Loss of hard drive and recordings
We are aware that some customers have experienced issues with their box failing to connect to their hard drive, meaning recording functionality, including live pause/rewind, and stored recordings are unavailable. We have been working with Humax to identify the root cause and Humax are now able to provide a resolution for affected customers. If you have experienced this issue, you will need to contact the Humax customer care centre for further information and details of how it can be resolved.
Humax customer care centre: 0344 318 8800

I don't know how old that statement is. Haven't phoned Humax. Don't know if thier resolution is still pay lots for a refurb. Has anyone recent experience with them?

Have changed disk with like for like Seagate pipeline/video 500gb, it has never been more than 60% full so not the excessive fullness as some suggest/suspect. No joy with that.

It is over 5 years old so no warranty problems.
Have a look at my post found a fix

Back