Humax pain

Until you test connecting via hdmi only and then scart only and seeing if the problems continue, there is nothing else we can advise on the problem. We are working blind.

Before connecting the humax, did you have something else hooked up to hdmi or scart? If not, that can be another test you can perform to see if the tv behaves the same with other things connected to either ports.
Just don't connect both scart & hdmi at the same time, there is no point unless it's intended and will only confuse the issues.

So one person says I should be using a SCART and another says I shouldn't, it is not straightforward is it?
Err, no... You should be using HDMI for the best viewing experience, but if your TV is causing this problem on HDMI you could try a different HDMI input or SCART/phono (but only one at a time).

So basically I am being advised to buy a new TV, even though my TV has been absolutely fine?
But your TV isn't fine, it thinks it is not receiving a signal and drops into standby (or is it switching to an unused input?) - even when it is receiving a signal. Clearly not fit for purpose.

What makes you think whatever you replace the Humax with will make your TV work properly?

This looks like a common fault with this set... puts itself into standby. The thread below seems to be the nearest I have found..

http://www.tv.quuq.org/forum/index.php?topic=3003.0

Using HDMI may fix it but don't hold your breath (unless you want to do some soldering on the SCART!
For reference:
http://www.tv.quuq.org/forum/index.php?topic=3003.msg8255#msg8255 said:
Wharfedale LCD3210AF LCD
Reverts to standby after 5 minutes and 8 seconds, caused by signal from IDTV PCB shutting down on connector PL500, even when the set was receiving an analogue transmission. Source of the shut down signal was coming from IC100 (STI5518BQC) which is a single chip set top box decoder. Inspecting the PCB indicated that pins 157 to 208 were not soldered from new, and a reflow did the job.

That sounds a pretty accurate description of the problem, too accurate to be a coincidence in my opinion. A decent TV service engineer should be able to sort that out, particularly if you give him the information above.

EDIT
I don't think anyone is saying you should be using SCART, HDMI is better quality, however I did find an online specification that said that your TV only had 2 SCARTS and no HDMI so you may not have a choice

Ah well from my research background I thought I had better checks the sources to see whether it only had SCART connections and Google turned up an interesting report on a board in 2010 of the said model of TV turning off after 5 minutes..... The guy picked up two of these TV's with the identical fault of turning off 5 minutes and 8 seconds by themselves.

It's a TV repair portal

http://www.tv.quuq.org/forum/index.php?topic=3003.0

>>ok chaps just picked 2 of these tv's up they are wharfedales lcd2610af with the same fault after 5 minutes they switch off the owner of the tv's has check the sleep timer in the menu but still the same any reported problems thanks<<

Evident it's a long standing problem but don't worry you just need a soldering iron or one made earlier:

>>ok chris thanks just changed capacitors 877/878 15nf will check what you've just said and get back to you <<

or here:

http://www.tv.quuq.org/forum/index.php?topic=3003.0;wap2

>>ok chris that tip you gave me seems to have done the trick m8 thanks again <<

The suggestion is that pins were not soldered:

>>Inspecting the PCB indicated that pins 157 to 208 were not soldered from new, and a reflow did the job.
(Indicated in red on LCD2010AF picture)
<<

Although from these historic discussions two solutions were offered.

or you have this one:

post 6

forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=274767&page=2

>>
Important Information

Before you buy the Wharfedale 32" Integrated Digital LCD TV which funnily enough isn't on their site anymore make sure you have a strong TV signal for Freeview.

I live in a poor tv signal area and was going to use my NTL box to feed the TV instead of upgrading my aerial straight away.

Got the TV out of the box and set it all up, 5 mins after being switched on and tuned in it switches itself off.

Turned it on again and switched itself off again 5mins later. Called the helpline and they said they were getting lots of these calls and told me it was signal strength and that if the TV didn't detect a strong enough signal it would switch off after 5mins.

I took it back the next day and bought an alternative.

Be warned
<<

So it appears to be a TV fault rather than Humax.

Basically reading around if it doesn't get a freeview signal itself of sufficient strength the TV turns itself off, so needs the aerial daisy changed into the TV. But then there are reports that when freeview was upgraded these TVs stopped working. However reading the original post on this thread the TV seemed to work fine until the Humax was connected so I'm thinking that an aerial cable just needs to be plugged in.

Question for Miss Bays, do you have an aerial currently plugged in to the TV or did you pull that out and put that straight into the Humax. I suspect so and the design fault of the TV is that it turns itself off if you haven't got an aeriel connected to the TV.

You got to connect an aerial lead from the second connection on the picture below

https://www.google.com/search?q=fox...uk%2FHumax_HDR_FOX_T2__Review_5962729;400;300

(big link)

It's marked "antenna out" on the back of the Humax back to the TV's aerial in, then I suspect all will be fine - that's if internet is any good....

Note what connection you need at either end and buy one from a store if you haven't got one or order online. Looks like you need a male / female coaxial lead.

Do I win a prize ?.

Ok guys now that I have been able to check the cables this is the latest:
Only scart cable connected, HDMI slot on humax but no slot on TV only PC input socket which is like a mini version of a scart!
So doesn't look like its compatible?
Black hole thanks for that last quote- I didn't understand all of it , but suffice to say that it sounds like I need to get my soldering iron out?

Seems Black Hole was checking his sources as well but I am am a qualified researcher and semi retired so bit more depth found stuff beyond just the solder joint. I reckon as said it needs the TV connected up to a signal and some other posters on internet reported as a fault. :).

Ok guys now that I have been able to check the cables this is the latest:
Only scart cable connected, HDMI slot on humax but no slot on TV only PC input socket which is like a mini version of a scart!
So doesn't look like its compatible?
Black hole thanks for that last quote- I didn't understand all of it , but suffice to say that it sounds like I need to get my soldering iron out?

Yes but Miss Bays do you have an aerial cable in the TV, I think not and if you just had a male to female cable from the output of the Humax under antenna out to the TV as well as what you have connected now and your problems would go away and I might win a prize :).

(I concluded that the soldering iron posts were a red herring and it's the aerial in not being connected which is inline with your TV working fine till you disconnected it, which I'm pretty sure you did and falls in line with what other people have said about this TV on the internet... not that I would diss the brand of Wharfdale but they were good but the brand name was sold out and your TV is most likely a badged TV made in Turkey)

Just checked the aerial goes in to the Humax directly, so do I need another aerial type lead to go from the humax to the TV?

Ok Tell I'll buy an aerial cable tomorrow and give it a try, you may well win the prize yet and we can throw the Herrings back into the river.......!

Well it wasn't all covered in that link, that link goes on about the solder joint issue which Black Hole picked up latter. The 5 minute power off linked to no TV aerial in I found else where so as said people didn't do sufficient research, the solder joint link is a red herring. We are talking about 2005/06 so the problem has been around a bit on Wharfedales so it seems.

That's here

post 34, the guys 6th post

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=274767&page=2

Not on Nozzers or Black Holes :).

Basically a bit further down on that thread someone fiddled with the setup menu but their follow up post says they didn't fix it via setup so the solution appears to be just that simple cable. 99% sure that will fix it....

But her tv hasn't got an HDMI input.

Maybe simplest is to take the tv back saying it doesn't work on a SCART input and buy another tv with HDMI. Double benefit of HD pic as well!

Yes I know its a sub optimal TV for HD which is why I ventured to mention why was she using SCART but then Ezra Pound had found that it didn't have HDM in. I suspect Miss Bays has an affinity with this set and doesn't want to change it. I guess its an old TV she has had for a number of years and put her toe in the water on PVRs. Obviously the next step would be to upgrade the TV to a much better one from a mainstream manufacturer which indeed had HDMI in and decent sound. Even cheaper Samsung's have manky sound. I suspect the Wharfdales LCD picture is a sea of smudged images as early non plasma flat screens were. Type you still come across in some hotels with first generation flat screens.

I found a aerial cable and fitted it to both devices, sadly this did not solve the problem, so we are back to the drawing board guys.
When purchasing the Humax I had no intention of upgrading my TV it was gifted from a friend who was m oving and had not got space and works well.
In fact another friend commented at the weekend what an excellent picture!
What now guys?

This pre-dates the previous two posts - I was preparing this post before they were posted.

@ Miss Bays:

Your current TV, being SCART only as you say, is not giving you the viewing experience that your HDR-FOX is capable of. Do you not find the Humax menus fuzzy? We might presume that you decided on a HDR-FOX as "future proofing" in case you did change your TV, and this fault is a good reason to do so!

However, for the moment it appears that the TV may be shutting down as a side effect of not being able to detect a signal on its aerial input, therefore the suggestion is you should link the aerial output on the HDR-FOX to the aerial input on the TV - but note that you need an aerial link cable with a plug on one end and a socket on the other, not a normal aerial cable that you would use to link your room aerial socket to the TV. You can use one of those, but would need an aerial coupler as well (a short cylinder thing with sockets at both ends). If you then set the Humax up properly, you will be able to watch TV without the Humax being on - see Things Every... (click) section 7.

@ Tell: Thanks for your detailed investigation. I was only picking up on what nozzer offered.

Indeed, but I use the convention that "him" = "him/her", "his" = "his/hers", etc.

This pre-dates the previous three posts - I was preparing this post before they were posted.

@ Miss Bays:

Your current TV, being SCART only as you say, is not giving you the viewing experience that your HDR-FOX is capable of. Do you not find the Humax menus fuzzy? We might presume that you decided on a HDR-FOX as "future proofing" in case you did change your TV, and this fault is a good reason to do so!

However, for the moment it appears that the TV may be shutting down as a side effect of not being able to detect a signal on its aerial input, therefore the suggestion is you should link the aerial output on the HDR-FOX to the aerial input on the TV - but note that you need an aerial link cable with a plug on one end and a socket on the other, not a normal aerial cable that you would use to link your room aerial socket to the TV. You can use one of those, but would need an aerial coupler as well (a short cylinder thing with sockets at both ends). If you then set the Humax up properly, you will be able to watch TV without the Humax being on - see Things Every... (click) section 7.

@ Tell: Thanks for your detailed investigation. I was only picking up on what nozzer offered.

Indeed, but I use the convention that "him" = "him/her", "his" = "his/hers", etc.
Ok Black Hole - Thanks for update, however I am unclear as to what the aerial cable should have on the other end?
Current aerial cable is male into TV and female into 'antenna out' on Humax?

I found a aerial cable and fitted it to both devices, sadly this did not solve the problem, so we are back to the drawing board guys.
Are you now able to view live TV directly without selecting SCART (ie with the TV internal tuner rather than the Humax)?

Back to the soldering idea.

Back