Humax pain

Are you now able to view live TV directly without selecting SCART (ie with the TV internal tuner rather than the Humax)?

Back to the soldering idea.

Oh so I have to remove the Scart? Is this just to view TV without drop out or to also use Humax view recordings etc ?

No, I was asking whether you can view live TV with the Humax off now that you have connected up the aerial - I wasn't saying you have to...

As long as the aerial cable fits at both ends you have the right one.

You would think you could simulate the no signal on aeriel to TV shut down by pulling the scary out (don't you love Androius... It can't even spell its name now, Android) of the TV and no aeriel in the TV, leave it the allotted time and see whether the TV shuts down. If it does it proves the point that the TV needs an aerial input. If not the shut down could still be connected to the SCART and those other posts about soldering the TVs board etc.

It does sound as if you need to be gifted a TV with HDMI in from mainstream manufacturer.

Black hole I will test it out this evening - I had to leave to go to work....

Tell I will also try your experiments this eve, and see where I am when I get home later.
thanks both.

My recommendation is this: as it seems you are reluctant to relegate the TV to a lesser role and get a better one with full HD display and HDMI inputs*, if you can't get it to stop shutting down after a period of SCART viewing** get a TV repairer to have a look and show him/her*** the relevant posts in this topic.

* Note that some makes of TV don't play happily with the Humax HDMI output.

** Note that this should equally affect a DVD player for example, the Humax is not specifically to blame.

*** Just for prpr.

Black hole
Thank you for clarification, I will speak to my local TV repair person and see if they can sort it for me.

I have reluctantly been looking into cheap replacement TV's as I have not budget for this currently as spent more than anticipated on Humax.
Would the item below be compatible? I'm sure it would not be super slick, but just a basic box that does the necessary.

Toshiba 24D1333B/24D1333B2 24-inch High Definition LED TV with Built-In DVD Player

I've got the 17" version of this Wharfedale TV (LCD1710AF), and get a similar problem when it's connected to my DVD player via SCART, and also with the laptop on the VGA input, Raspberry Pi on the phono inputs, and sometimes even just when viewing TV programmes via the internal DVB tuner, and it would happen within about 5 seconds of switching the TV on. I say similar problem because it doesn't actually go onto standby, but the backlight in the screen shuts itself off, the power LED stays green (i.e. 'on') and if you look very carefully at the screen from the right angle you can still just see a feint TV picture. I was able to solve the problem temporarily by just taking the back cover off, prodding a few of the ribbon cables that link the PCBs together and then reassembling it. This lasted a few months but then it started happening again, albeit less frequently. Touch wood it hasn't happened for some time now, but if the problem comes back it's going in a skip and I'll buy something decent.
It really is a cheap and nasty TV and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Would the item below be compatible? I'm sure it would not be super slick, but just a basic box that does the necessary.

Toshiba 24D1333B/24D1333B2 24-inch High Definition LED TV with Built-In DVD Player
I don't recall there being any HDMI problems with Toshiba. My opinion is never to buy a TV with integrated DVD, and this set only has one HDMI input. Better to look for a TV with more HDMI inputs and then buy a separate DVD player - they are cheap enough.

Mind you if she has limited aspirations to play anything other than DVDs bearing in mind she might get a bluray urge and run out of ports. But then again if one is watching pennies one won't be buying a bluray player / discs etc or subscribing to pay TV. Pays your money takes your choice.

We have a Toshiba 22DL702B in the house. It has built in DVD player. I find that the DVD player makes a lot of noise when in use.
I agree with BH, avoid sets with integrated DVD. They are "Jack of all trades master of none" in my opinion.

Tried unplugging Scart and attempted to play TV without it and with aerial connected to both TV and Humax, didnt work.

Ok so I unplugged scart from TV, replaced original aerial cable into TV and reset to 'digital' it reset channels and works fine, no drop out afer 5 mins.

Well I think you have the faulty board issue then. Mind you, you did say reset digital. You want the TV to get a signal via having the digital tuned in via the daisy chain then select scart. I can see perhaps that if it was sitting on analogue channel with nothing there when you selected scart then the problem would continue based on the first posted issue. But then if its the solder joint issue you won't be able to fix this yourself.

Well guys I think I have good news!
A rather amazing thing: Obviously the above was just to check the TV had no drop outs independently.
Following this I reconnected the Scart but left the TV menu set up as before, so set to digital receiver not Scart and guess what; I was able to view TV and Recorded progs with no drop outs! I didnt have much time but will chcek again this eve or over weekend and report back if it reverts back, but I think its sorted - Yippee!

I watched 2 hours of pre recorded programmes last night with no drop outs, so looking good :) Hopefully it will continue.
So advice to others with this problem:
Connect the Humax with Scart, but in TV menu set up do not select the scart setting instead opt for digital setting, seemed to sort the problem.
The main aerial cable entering the Humax of course, I currently still have the additional aerial cable between the Humax and Tv but Im not sure this is doing anything.

The Era lead from humax to TV allows you to watch transmissions on TV, using the TV tuner, regardless of what the Humax is doing. If you so wish.
For instance, if you are recording 2 things on the humax and want watch a third that the humax may have blocked out.
Or whilst humax is in standby (as long as you haven't set Eco mode).
I suspect it will be quite a rare occurrence. But suggest you leave it connected anyway. It won't do any harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the contrary, I suspect the fault this TV suffers from is only avoided by having a tuned signal at the same time as viewing the SCART input.

I still recommend trying out HDMI though (does the Wharfedale have an HDMI input?).

I think I win the prize since that's what I told her to do in my post #52, the TV is still seeing the aerial connection sitting on a digital channel whilst selecting SCART, the daisy chain connection I advised earlier on, I think it was sitting on an analogue station which don't exist now when she reported that it didn't work "I reconnected the Scart but left the TV menu set up as before, so set to digital receiver not Scart and guess what" which gave the success of fooling the TV to work - so not the soldering issue but the other issue that was reported about this TV.

The ECO setting would be an issue if she switched the Humax off and had ECO on and the TV signal was moderated enough that the set doesn't see a signal. I'm sure what everybody needs to know contains whether it's defaulted on or off (something to check Miss Bays and I'm sure you will be told where it is on the menu for checking)... off to cut shrubs down blown by the wind.

Back