Humax TV Portal.

peterpi

I've not watched much TV of late and the T2 has continued to record stuff and not missed a beat.

Issue I have is that when I press the TV Portal button I get the spinning indication but nothing else. I've only done a power cycle so far but to no avail. Is there a known issue that I've missed?

Cheers
Pete

The TV Portal always been flaky, it relies on communication with the Humax servers to even start up. Try another time.

I just tried and still no go so I'll try again later.
It really isn't worth bothering with at all any more. It invariably crashes the machine and the only thing of any use the last time I looked was iPlayer. You are much better off using youtube-dl or qtube for that.

I've not watched much TV of late and the T2 has continued to record stuff and not missed a beat.

Issue I have is that when I press the TV Portal button I get the spinning indication but nothing else. I've only done a power cycle so far but to no avail. Is there a known issue that I've missed?

Cheers
Pete
The Portal has always been the least reliable part of the Humax with very limited function so if you don't have a smart-TV buy a Now TV stick or similar and forget the Portal button.

It invariably crashes the machine
Not invariably, but inconveniently often.

I checked on my HD-FOX this morning and a HDR-FOX tonight - in both cases the portal "home page" came up OK (but I went no further).

Not invariably, but inconveniently often.
I beg to differ. About the only time it doesn't crash is after it's just rebooted after a crash. I live in fear of accidentally pressing the Portal button while it's recording.

Just checked again. When I pressed the TV Portal button at 16.51 I left it and didn't press the exit button. Just put TV on T2 channel and tried various buttons on remote but couldn't do a thing. Pressed the exit button and I was able to change channels, see medi ETC. I liked being able to stream and capture the MP4 file.

I live in fear of accidentally pressing the Portal button while it's recording.
I'm with you on that one, maybe it would be possible to map this button's function to something less dangerous using the 'ir' package

Last edited:
I liked being able to stream and capture the MP4 file.
youtube-dl and qtube provide a better method of downloading the mp4 files from BBC iplayer and some other sites
I'm with you on that one, maybe it would be possible to map this button's function to something less dangerous using the 'ir' package
I don't think there is any facility to remap the buttons on the standard Humax remote control. ir just simulates remote control pushes but, AFAIK, no remapping
Learnt something new today - there is a remap!

Last edited:
I was thinking it could be a similar function the webif Settings >> Settings for ir package Swap INFO and LIST or Disable Volume controls, Custom map file?

2019-10-16_11.00.39.jpg

EDIT
I should have looked at my own Wiki notes (See Customise HERE), I have added a TV Portal disable note

Last edited:
In a nutshell edit one line in /mod/boot/ir3.map to look like this :-
Code:
46:46:SUB
4b::PORTAL (disabled)
4c:4c:SLEEP

Set Use Custom Map file = YES (See above) and TV Portal is history

Last edited:
I was thinking it could be a similar function the webif Settings >> Settings for ir package Swap INFO and LIST or Disable Volume controls, Custom map file?
EDIT
I should have looked at my own Wiki notes (See Customise HERE), I have added a TV Portal disable note
Could I suggest that this is useful information but not relevant to a thread that isn't in the custom firmware section.

just pressing the portal button never crashed my t2. going into the iplayer did quite a few times. that's why I only go into the iplayer when not recording to use the download streaming in webif. I do that because it downloads a lot faster than the youtube download package.

I do that because it downloads a lot faster than the youtube download package.
Are you comparing like with like, ie downloading the same resolution video with youtube-dl (the default is to take the highest resolution available) as you would with iPlayer on the portal? Otherwise I don't see why that should be, plus youtube-dl is capable of resuming a broken download when iPlayer is not.

I always downloaded the highest 720p resolution on youtube-dl and I think that's what I get from the iplayer too. what I do is this: find prog on iplayer/ press play, hesitantly/ as soon as it starts playing I pause it( it feels that this helps it not crash)/wait between 5 to 10 min until the save last stream button says not increasing anymore for a one hour prog/ press save button. hey presto I've got the file in about 15 mins.

Back