Hummy Arms Word Game v4.0

Unambiguous
+4=53

I see the only drawback to the points system, which creates an element of competition (good thing), is that others who may wish to join in late, start at a disadvantage and thus don't bother (bad thing). Hence the usual culprits playing.
I know that my missing a weekend put me back, plus I don't spend all my evenings etc. at the computer. Not sure why I'm writing this but.......:unsure:

Yeah, I know, but over a long enough period even the regulars might drop out for a period due to other pressures (or not!). Anybody suggest a solution?

...plus I don't spend all my evenings etc. at the computer
I'm not at the computer most of the time, I have the iPad on my lap!

Gouging
+4=95

We should work in bonus points for added letters. This would encourage longer words. (Next game???)

No he's not! Rob played and you challenged. That puts you and me in nib.

Trev +4
AF -20
BH +10

I was careful not to challenge, just point out the error giving Rob a chance to correct it.

(and if you do insist it was a challenge, then I make my score +10 for that, -10 for the subsequent incorrect challenge - where do you get -20 from?) It's the originally challenged play that gets the score doubled.

Last edited:
af123:

-20 on the assumption that you will have implied a +10 for the challenge. As to whether it was or was not a challenge, I think we have to interpret any form of correction in public as a challenge unless perpetrated by the OP (original player). Do you not agree?

I once came across a game where the play was about establishing the rules to determine who wins. I must see if I can find it, I think it's in an old Scientific American Martin Gardener column, and pre-dates Internet forums (or even bulletin boards). It would be ideal for forum play, I think.

af123:

-20 on the assumption that you will have implied a +10 for the challenge. As to whether it was or was not a challenge, I think we have to interpret any form of correction in public as a challenge unless perpetrated by the OP (original player). Do you not agree?
Perhaps you should amend the rules to state that a challenge should include the word challenge somewhere? Otherwise any post could be construed as a challenge.

So, my first "challenge" post was valid and play moved on, that's +10
My second challenge was invalid as Trev was not in nib so that's -10.
I don't see how you make it -20.

-20 subsequent to the implied score (10 to remove the +10 for the challenge and another 10 as the penalty).

It gives us something to bicker about anyway!

I was careful not to challenge, just point out the error giving Rob a chance to correct it.
I didn't realise that this was a game for Gentlemen and Sportsmen. I think I'll just play the game and not bicker (until I find something to bicker about):laugh:

Conifer 74+4+3=81

Last edited:
Back