Interesting Items...

Why does the picture show three laundry bins in front of the TV?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Other-Wooden-Laundry-Bin-Natural/dp/B00MUZUMNS

Gesture control is old hat. My TV has it built in, I have it turned off because it needs you to sit directly in front of the TV. The Wii has a better form, you hold wands in your hands. Then there is the extra remote with recent Samsung TVs that allows you to point at onscreen objects and click them. I was also sent a gadget to review that used gestures similat to this article, and it was hopeless. You needed it to recognise a palm pointed at its camera, and it couldn't.

Electronics Engineering Times said:
The company adds that the high frequency stability as well as low electron spin resonance (ESR) enable the crystals to meet IoT, industrial IoT, and other wireless application requirements, including wearable devices.
(context: product description of miniature quartz crystal resonators)

"ESR", in this context, means Equivalent Series Resistance!

Gesture control is old hat. My TV has it built in,
I'm glad mine hasn't. The gestures I use whenever a "next" pops up on screen, or the credits get squashed, or a babbling announcer starts up, and especially that damned child in the AA advert, the TV would probably "disappear in short sharp jerky movements" (to quote an old episode of The Bill shown today).

Yesterday morning on the BEEB, it said that Google has developed a simultaneous translating app for phones. Stick an earphone into your ear and the phone will simultaneously translate for you.
Seems that Douglas Adams' babel fish has been found.:frantic:

OK, so they've added a speech recognition front end and a voice synthesiser back end to Google Translate. You can bet it needs a fast data connection back to the servers.

Prepare for hilarious/embarrassing instances of recognition errors compounded by translation errors!

I prefer the Star Trek Universal Translator - even manages to get the alien's mouth movements in English so that it translates for the deaf lip-readers as well. :D

Last edited:
I does look very interesting. I picked up a USB oscilloscope last year and it cost the same as this but is obviously a one-trick pony.

Rather than a USB 'scope I bought an inexpensive digital 'scope a while back. The idea of a logic analyser has always appealed. With the facilities offered here, I reckon it could provide the complete programming and power hook-up to a PIC project, with debugging as well.

I didn't understand half the Product Overview, so I won't be asking for one anyway.

I didn't understand any of the product overview, therefore I've saved twice over. One for me, one for you. I shall remain clueless.

I does look very interesting. I picked up a USB oscilloscope last year and it cost the same as this but is obviously a one-trick pony.
There's a note on the Analog Devices web site which indicates it is due to be available on 2nd January 2018.

Back