Interesting Items...

As the average would include all those with OCD, the average would be weighted towards OCDness. So the 'average' cannot be used as a yardstick. The average could be brought away from OCDness by the inclusion of non-OCD people, but this would not help either.
Perhaps 'normal behaviour' would be better? But I'm sure that this will open a brand new can of worms.

The average would also in lude reckless people, who would possibly cancel or balance OCD people.

I don't think anyone who worries constantly about whether a door is locked or not, even though they just checked it ten times, could be happy with that. OTOH, reckless people seem proud of that condition.

All an average for a condition does is to set a baseline for what might be a problem, nothing more. The test gives an indication, from the various symptoms shown in OCD, and lets you know whether you might have a problem, and might be suffering unduly. It isn't telling everyone to listen to the same music, or vote the same way, BH is being disingenuous as usual.

PS BH has two mistakes in the second sentence in post #1299. He clearly isn't OCD about grammar.:roflmao:

Every morning before leaving the house I have to mentally tick a check list. OCD? no just wise enough to know that failing to do so could put a damper on my day.
Phone, wallet,keys, lighter,baccy. I quite often count my teaspoons. OCD? no, I do it just before bin day as I have a bad habit of throwing away yogurt pots with the spoon still in them. I have to put my baked bean tins next to my tinned tomatoes. OCD? no. Life is simpler when things are in the place they always are and time and thought can be spent on
more productive stuff like sifting through a bin bag for a spoon.

I agree about leaving things in the same place so you can find them. Gremlins move them, though.

Fastidiousness is a noun. The noun 'belongs' to the man so the possessive apostrophe is required, thus "man's fastidiousness" etc.:p
Go on. Prove me wrong.;) I very dare you.

This video is interesting if you don't know how GPS works, but most interesting of all is the plug at the end for an on-line free-to-use physics simulation tool:

Brilliant - I have tried, unsuccessfully, to explain how it works to different people. I can now send them the link. Thanks BH

What I find particularly staggering (and not mentioned in the video) is the ability of a GPS receiver to pick up the signal at all! It must be incredibly weak, and the antennas incredibly small...

Even disregarding that, the system is a triumph of engineering.

What staggered me with this technology was that the satellites transmit the time to the receiver with microsecond accuracy, but on our standalone TomTom unit we had to set the clock to the right time of day - not the time zone, the h:m:s !!?

Was that one of the original GO units from the early 2000's? I was using a GO 500 until recently, when they withdrew map support (not enough memory). On mine, you only had to tell it what time offset you wanted from UT.

I now have a shiny new GO 520, and the live traffic route updating is marvellous! I went to a funeral the other week and just made it on time (the principle guests' limo was late) due to chaos on the M5, when other guests only made the very end of the wake (or never got there at all). My only regret is not spending the extra on the 5200 (with a built-in SIM and lifetime data), so I have to enable my phone's data and Bluetooth every time.

with microsecond accuracy,
It has to be much more accurate than that. 1 microsecond at the speed of light is about 300 metres. A few nanosecond accuracy is what's needed and I think that's what the video suggested. But what's a factor of 1000 between friends?:D

Was that one of the original GO units from the early 2000's? I was using a GO 500 until recently, when they withdrew map support (not enough memory). On mine, you only had to tell it what time offset you wanted from UT.
I think it was/is her TT One, but I had a couple as well (one was a via Michelin) and I suspect they all did this.
The last few years I've used Google maps though both cars now have nav included.

I now have a shiny new GO 520, and the live traffic route updating is marvellous! I went to a funeral the other week and just made it on time (the principle guests' limo was late) due to chaos on the M5, when other guests only made the very end of the wake (or never got there at all). My only regret is not spending the extra on the 5200 (with a built-in SIM and lifetime data), so I have to enable my phone's data and Bluetooth every time.
One car has included sim to give traffic, some updates, and an emergency call thing. Nice, but when the included contact expires (when the car is 3 years old I think) I expect we'll be shafted for renewing it every year.
The other car is like your 520 ... It uses my phone to get traffic and updates. Slightly less convenient, but as I only need nav on odd occasions (and it still works without the phone, just sans traffic) it's not a problem. And it means I'm not going to be tied to the carmaker's sim charges.

My concern with buying a 'lifetime' data unit from the likes of TT is that their definition of life could be quite different from mine; possibly only 2 or 3 years.

It has to be much more accurate than that. 1 microsecond at the speed of light is about 300 metres. A few nanosecond accuracy is what's needed and I think that's what the video suggested. But what's a factor of 1000 between friends?:D
:p
It's the principle, lad.

If you just want to indicate an incredibly small but unspecified length of time then use the pengo-second. :)

Back