Interesting Items...

Who says impartial? We all know Openreach are dishonest incompetents who should never have been given their lucrative monopoly.

Excuse me. I work as an engineer for OR and can assure you that I'm am neither dishonest or incompetent.

Thank you very much.

Excuse me. I work as an engineer for OR and can assure you that I'm am neither dishonest nor incompetent.

It's a monopoly, it's owned by BT, it stinks as a firm. I am sorry you work for them. Some people work for BSkyB, we can't always choose.

BT and now OR have been a good employer to me. I have been with them since I left school at 16. I now have 37 years service.

I am not sorry I work for them and I really enjoy my job.

BT and now OR have been a good employer to me.
I'm sure you're one of the good ones, but there are a lot of bad ones.
I am not sorry I work for them and I really enjoy my job.
I was sorry I was a customer, latterly. I'm not any more and I doubt I ever will be again.
I used to be a shareholder too - that was OK-ish at the start, but I should have got out sooner.

There was a test for OCD in our paper recently. My wife did it and got a score of 36. In the 40's was where you started to worry.

She persuaded me to take it. I scored 10. She was puzzled. I did admit that I wasn't sure if some of my answers were totally honest.

What about the question about obsessively checking gas and electrical items were off, she asked? She scored 3 on that. I said, well, I was just as anxious as her, despite my score of 0, but then, what was the point of me checking when she had already done so?:roflmao::roflmao:..

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have OCD? Take the test for adults
Please read each statement and select a number 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 that best describes how much that experience has distressed or bothered you during the past month. There are no right or wrong answers. Do not spend too much time on any one statement. This assessment is not intended to be a diagnosis. If you are concerned about your results in any way, please speak to a health professional.

0 = Not at all. 1 = A little. 2 = Moderately. 3 = A lot. 4 = Extremely.A total score of 42 or more suggests the presence of OCD, but is not diagnostic.

1 Unpleasant thoughts come into my mind against my will and I cannot get rid of them.
2 I think contact with bodily secretions (sweat, saliva, blood, urine, etc) may contaminate my clothes or somehow harm me.
3 I ask people to repeat things to me several times, even though I understood them the first time.
4 I wash and clean obsessively.
5 I have to review mentally past events, conversations and actions to make sure that I didn’t do something wrong.
6 I have saved up so many things that they get in the way.
7 I check things more often than necessary.
8 I avoid using public toilets because I am afraid of disease or contamination.
9 I repeatedly check doors, windows, drawers, etc.
10 I repeatedly check gas/water taps/light switches after turning them off.
11 I collect things I don’t need.
12 I have thoughts of having hurt someone without knowing it.
13 I have thoughts that I might want to harm myself or others.
14 I get upset if objects are not arranged properly.
15 I feel obliged to follow a particular order in dressing, undressing and washing myself.
16 I feel compelled to count while I’m doing things.
17 I am afraid of impulsively doing embarrassing or harmful things.
18 I need to pray to cancel bad thoughts or feelings.
19 I keep on checking forms or other things I have written.
20 I get upset at the sight of knives, scissors or other sharp objects in case I lose control with them.
21 I am obsessively concerned about cleanliness.
22 I find it difficult to touch an object when I know it has been touched by strangers or certain people.
23 I need things to be arranged in a particular order.
24 I get behind in my work because I repeat things over and over again.
25 I feel I have to repeat certain numbers.
26 After doing something carefully, I still have the impression I haven’t finished it.
27 I find it difficult to touch rubbish or dirty things.
28 I find it difficult to control my thoughts.
29 I have to do things over and over again until it feels right.
30 I am upset by unpleasant thoughts that come into my mind against my will.
31 Before going to sleep I have to do certain things in a certain way.
32 I go back to places to make sure that I have not harmed anyone.
33 I frequently get nasty thoughts and have difficulty getting rid of them.
34 I avoid throwing things away because I am afraid I might need them later.
35 I get upset if others have changed the way I have arranged my things.
36 I feel that I must repeat certain words or phrases in my mind in order to wipe out bad thoughts, feelings or actions.
37 After I have done things, I have persistent doubts about whether I really did them.
38 I sometimes have to wash or clean myself simply because I feel contaminated.
39 I feel that there are good and bad numbers.
40 I repeatedly check anything that might cause a fire.
41 Even when I do something very carefully I feel that it is not quite right.
42 I wash my hands more often, or for longer than necessary.

Oh dear. A very quick response to the survey gave me 45. Now I must go and wash my hands, I feel dirty. :D
Problem is, the difference between a little and moderately is rather subjective. Tweak some of those moderately ones down and I might be alright. :o_O::confused:

After only a very quick skim I seem to score quite low (except on Q6!). Question 7 bothers me though: how can somebody assess themselves as checking more often than necessary - they presumably think it's necessary otherwise they wouldn't check.

I didn't spot a question about being picky about the questions!

We might just as easily interpret the score in the opposite way: those with a low score lack personal hygiene and standards.

Haha! Much of my 10 score was on Q6 to. I sometimes have a cleanout, but then find I need something I just threw away. My worst thing is wires, and PSUs too. I wish manufacturers would clearly mark PSUs so you know what they go with.

I think necessary refers to what average people regard as necessary, not you.

I think necessary refers to what average people regard as necessary, not you.
If you know what average people think, then you know where you are in relation to that. So you know if you're ocd without taking the test.
I think gomezz is right - just doing the test suggests ocdness :)
(I looked at it, saw 42 questions, thought "but**er that", and moved on. But I do wonder about the possible HHGTTG connection ... coincidence?)

I hate questionnaires anyway, I always pick holes in them, especially the sort that make assumptions, eg,

Do you prefer pop, hiphop or reggae?

where I don't like any of them, or the sort that ask imprecise questions, eg,

Where do you eat?

Mostly at home.
At a table.
In the UK.

Funnily enough, when I subscribed to Which? and did their questionnaires, I was constantly contacting them to say that their questions were badly worded. To think they base their conclusions on such ill designed methods! Plus, the elephant in the room questions often don't even get asked.

1. Is there an elephant in the room?
2. Is there a pile of elephant dung in the room?
3. Is the room big enough for the elephant to move?
Like, did this Braun kettle leak like a sieve after 12 months?

So you think a consensus opinion represents an ideal - even in situations which affect an individual rather than a population as a whole? Weird.
Where did I say that? In the context of OCD? OCD has to be measured against an average behaviour, it isn't necessarily bad unless it stops the individual from having a happy life.

Maybe people are happy with their OCD. One mans fastidiousness is another mans slovenly. I think we can agree that insisting on counting every sock to make certain the sock drawer is complete and every sock is accounted for as a ritual every time prior to leaving the house would be disabling and abnormal, but some of the questions above hinted at more reasonable behaviour to limit inconvenience and damage in ones absence. That's not OCD - it's being careful.

The point I am making is to question whether what the average person might do or think is a reasonable way to set a judgemental bar. Nobody would say that the ideal achievement in school is just "average", but an average achiever might well regard staying in to study night after night instead of going out with mates obsessive.

Back