Interesting Items...

So who said radio can't be controversial? Would you unknowingly broadcast a series of lectures advocating terrorism and jihad? We do it right in Sheffield.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40532030

Sheffield-based radio station Iman FM suspended over 'terror talks'

Somebody at the radio station should know what they are broadcasting.
Having said that, Notts TV is playing out some old films under the title "Film Legends". You have no idea what the film is, and the quality is like 2nd generation VCR. The other day a film played out in the middle of the afternoon with many "f" words in it. So they don't know what they are broadcasting either.

I have just had a new boiler installed. It is of course of the condensing type. As per every other one of these, it produces much more of a 'steam plume' than my old one.
Doing some research, I found several places that said
Since the flue gases leaving the condensing boiler are cool, they tend to produce a noticeable mist of water vapor {sic} around the flue terminal (outlet) itself (as the gases condense upon contact with the surrounding air masses).
Now then, if the steam produced by combustion is condensed within the boiler to extract some of the the latent heat of vapourisation. (my spell checker suggests vaporisation???) why does a whole lot condense when it hits the outside air?
Why is it that 'as the gas flue gasses are cool' {when compared with a non-condensing boiler} they produce a larger 'steam plume'?
My thinking is that as there is less water vapour in the exhaust gasses because some has been condensed out within the boiler, there should be less plume when it hits the much cooler outside air.
There is obviously something wrong with my reasoning, but what?

Well according to 'Myth Busters' that is no longer true. There were reported problems with the early ones though. But hopefully is will see me out in this house. Two grand all in. 9 year guarantee.

We've just had one too. I got a Vaillant.

There is obviously something wrong with my reasoning, but what?
I've not tried to dig deeper but I think it's down to exhaust volume and velocity as well as temperature.
With a standard boiler the exhaust is fairly fast and hot, so by the time it has cooled enough to condense the water vapour has had time and space to 'become part of the atmosphere' (dissipate invisibly).
Condensing boilers extract more heat from each unit volume of exhaust, so will pass less volume for a given heat output (probably at a higher fuel to air ratio). This will likely be at lower velocity too. (Ours actually reduces the fan speed at lower outputs.) As a result the water left in the exhaust is already close to condensing and is not blown out with much force, so it forms a cloud more or less immediately on reaching the outside air.

they don't seem to have the service life of the old ones!
Mine's in its 30th year! I've replaced two thermostats and the thermocouple. The inbuilt mechanical timer module gave up the ghost several years ago (the switch contacts failed to make contact any more; the mechanism itself was OK) so I just bypassed it - temporarily!

Wisconsin Company to Microchip Employees
BY ANGELA MOSCARITOLO 24 JUL 2017, 9:01 P.M.
The tiny, implantable RFID chips will let employees make purchases in the company's break room mini market, open doors, login to their computers, use the copy machine, and more.

wisconsin-company-to-microchip-employees_57a9.640.jpg

Constantly misplacing your work badge? Workers at a Wisconsin company called Three Square Market (32M) may never have that problem again.

Because 32M, which sells vending kiosks for office break rooms, wants to implant microchips into its employees' bodies. The tiny, implantable RFID chips (which you can see above) use near-field communications—the same technology found in contactless credit cards and mobile payment systems—to let employees make purchases in the company's break room mini market, open doors, log in to their computers, use the copy machine, and more.

They'll be implanted underneath the skin in the space between the thumb and forefinger; the implantation procedure is over "within seconds," 32M said in a press release.

The program is optional, but 32M is expecting more than 50 staff members be "voluntarily chipped." The company is even planning a "chip party" at its River Falls, Wis. headquarters on August 1, during which employees will be able to get their implants.

In a statement, 32M CEO Todd Westby predicted that implantable chips will be used in the future to do everything from unlock your phone to share business cards and store your medical and health information.

"Eventually, this technology will become standardized allowing you to use this as your passport, public transit, all purchasing opportunities," and more, he predicted.

The company says it will be the first in the US to offer its employees implanted microchip technology. In Europe, 32M has partnered with a Swedish company called BioHax International, which has already started implanting microchips into its own employees, to make this a reality.

"When working with our operators over in Europe, we came across a company of chipped employees at BioHax International and the concept of using RFID with micro markets quickly grew," 32M's VP of International Sales Tony Danna said in a statement. "We see chip technology as the next evolution in payment systems."

ACAS. No, not the trade union. In DM online today. If the ACAS detects a possible collision, it tells the pilot to 'ascend, descend or some other altitude instruction'. What other instruction could there be to get the pilot to change altitude?

ACAS. No, not the trade union. In DM online today. If the ACAS detects a possible collision, it tells the pilot to 'ascend, descend or some other altitude instruction'. What other instruction could there be to get the pilot to change altitude?
Maintain altitude would be another instruction; if the other aircraft is told to ascend, the first might not be able to descend if that would take it in to the path of a third?

Cor, it's getting crowded around here.
Agreed, but that's not what it said. Unfortunately, I can't find the article again, but it did say something along the lines of 'climb, descend or some other altitude change instruction', which was my original badly put premise. I don't know how you can change altitude without climbing or descending.
I think I'll just go outside an shoot myself now.

I don't think that is in the vocabulary of the ACAS (or more correctly TCAS). There are no directional commands, only altitude ones. There is 'Level off' which I suppose is not a climb or descend command.
Full list of commends HERE.
I missed last time, so I'm off outside again.

How long before somebody comes up with the argument that people should be microchipped at birth? Followed by: "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear".

We've always resisted the compulsory carrying of ID in this country, although elsewhere they seem to regard it as normal.

We've always resisted the compulsory carrying of ID in this country, although elsewhere they seem to regard it as normal.
When I last travelled to Germany I felt the compulsion to keep my passport with me at all times. I don't think anyone actually told me to. But, as the polizei carry guns, and my spoken German is dreadful, it seemed like a good precaution.

Back