Interesting Items...

1 short item = 1 cover sheet + 1 change record sheet + 1 glossary & abbreviation sheet + 1 index sheet + 1 technical document sheet... been there, done that.

Like HM says, even a "1 paragraph" technical document is never less than 5 pages. If you've not worked in that environment, you might not realise there are specifications for everything - including what has to be included in a technical document.

Like HM says, even a "1 paragraph" technical document is never less than 5 pages. If you've not worked in that environment, you might not realise there are specifications for everything - including what has to be included in a technical document.
I think HM was being somewhat humorous there, though I know that is true in some industries.

"that environment"?
I've written many documents I would class as technical, but for commercial companies where the aims, etc, were not military or similar and imparting the knowledge was the aim.

A datasheet is a technical document. I've seen plenty of those on a single side of A4 - or less.
I think you are blinkering out stuff that doesn't conform to your personal ideas.

No, I'm concentrating on the stuff I have specific knowledge of. I don't describe any old rag as a "document".
Which I'd say translates to:
blinkering out stuff that doesn't conform to your personal ideas.
:dunno:

I'm sure that the producers of (eg) hazardous chemicals will be delighted to hear you consider their datasheets under the heading of "any old rag".

I'm sure that the producers of (eg) hazardous chemicals will be delighted to hear you consider their datasheets under the heading of "any old rag".
Obviously, but nonetheless those are (you said it yourself) datasheets. I see no harm in being precise.

Purely hypothesising: the solar cell can only top up rather than completely replace the used charge, and a sealed-in primary cell provides the base load. If so, it seems like a PR exercise rather than an actual environmental benefit - how many households ditch their TV after only two years?

Solar powered calculators have been around for a long time, I have one in a drawer by my desk (but never use it when I have a smart phone in my pocket, a tablet within arm's reach, and a PC on most of the time). My guess is that the current demand for an IR RC is too great to be supplied that way, plus a calculator is gerenally used in the light whereas an RC isn't necessarily used in a bright environment.

It's a possibility that the move from IR to RF (Bluetooth?) RC also cuts the operating current.

Sadly my solar-powered octalator no longer works (Casio fx-570c). The number of dumps it helped me analyse over 25 years. If all the dumps on fanfold computer print were to be stacked on each other they would reach halfway up Everest! :eek:

(it is surprisingly hard to find an app for the phone which has a comprehensive and quick to use base conversion function - needed octal rather than hex as the mainframes I worked on were 36 bit word machines accessible in six six-bit bytes or four nine-bit bytes. Recognising which part of which word was stored as which was part of the black art)

Edit: Wow! Just found it to check the model number and now it is working. Left it to bask by the window to catch the sun rather than put it back in the drawer. These days though will just be used to check the leccy bill than anything more esoteric.

Last edited:
@BH I too have a decades old solar powered calculator that is still working fine and that was why the 2 year lifespan seems ridiculously short. Apparently the remote also has a USB charging port to charge its battery, even phone batteries last far longer than 2 years. Your PR stunt conclusion is given further weight by...

"As well as the remote, which is made using recycled plastic bottles, the company said it was expanding its Eco-packaging scheme to more of its TVs launched in 2021, which reduces text and images on the packaging in order to reduce the amount of oil-based ink used in printing.
In a more unusual step, the packaging is also covered in a pattern of microdots, aimed to help buyers reuse, customise and repurpose the packaging as objects such as pet houses around the home as part of a further effort to reduce waste."

Samsung's "Going Green Scheme" has given no details on price or how long it holds a charge for and certainly no mention of the ecological detrement caused by having to replace the remote every 24 months, those crafty Koreans certainly look to be attempting to profit from the gulible who are trying to save the planet whilst sat on their sofa's. I guess I will just have to wait for a good quality one size fits all universal remote with a docking bay charger and a replaceable lithium battery before I save myself from extinction.

The aim is that the cardboard will not be such an eyesore as it will have a textured look but without being 100% covered in ink.
I assumed the dots would be marking out the patterns for various things you could turn the box into rather than just an overall decoration.

Back