Interesting Items...

In my youth, well before daytime TV and when colour TV broadcasting was being rolled out, the BBC2 test card used to be rudely interrupted by "Trade Test Transmissions" - short films for sales demonstrations and setting up new-fangled colour TV receivers (BBC2 went colour before BBC1 and ITV, we're talking around 1968). Research indicates these were sourced from commercial libraries, often made by organisations for promotional and PR purposes.

As a child, these must have appealed to me (like the Potter's Wheel intermission) because of repetition and familiarity. I have a distinct recollection of a film with boats (power boats, I thought), and a soundtrack tune which is permanently burned into my mind - the music known as Classical Gas:

(Mason Williams has to be one of the most emotionless musicians I have ever seen play an instrument - ignoring Sparks!)

Being at a loose end, and the tune running in my head yet again, I thought I would try to track down that trade test film - everything is on the Internet now, right? (Legally or otherwise)

Well, it turns out there were actually 180-odd of these films (I find that hard to believe, the same ones seemed to repeat often enough unless I formed this memory from just one showing), and none of the published details mention "classical gas":

In those lists is mention of a film called Powerboat '66, made by BP. After an extensive search I found it in the BP Video Library (who knew BP has a video library?).

If you have 24 mins to kill you might like to watch Powerboat '66 (but it's a red herring - the most interesting thing about it is discovering the BP Video Library), one of the boats is piloted by Peter Twiss, the test pilot for the Fairey Delta 2 and the first man to break 1,000mph (beware: the film starts with a long black section which looks like it isn't working):

Another film listed by testcardcircle.org is made by Ford, called Ride the White Horses (25 mins). This is more like it, as it is (as I remember) a round-Britain race (again with a Fairey team boat piloted by Twiss)... but although this one has a musical accompaniment it isn't the right one (credited to Jeff Wayne):

So I've drawn a blank. How I came to associate the Mason Williams track with the Ride the White Horses film remains a mystery.

Update:

Further reading shows trade test transmissions go right back to 1956, for the earliest experimental colour broadcasting from Ally Pally only.

Last edited:
How I came to associate the Mason Williams track with the Ride the White Horses film remains a mystery.
Memory is not nearly as 'linear' as we like to think. I'm pretty certain that some of my memories of events were actually dreams ... A few years (or even weeks these days) down the line and it's almost impossible to know * .

( * For everyday events. Clearly being in, say, a train crash would be easily checked. Probably.)

Until recently, I was totally convinced that John Lawrie was in the original Whisky Galore.

So, someone in the EU orders a block of Wensleydale cheese costing £20, but because of Brexit, it incurs a £180 certificate before it can be exported. Taking back control indeed!🤣🤣🤣

Had yer covid jab yet? I have, not so a whole bunch of the dinosaur EU people. :roflmao:
Nothing to do with Brexit! That was the penny pinching exercise that any of them could have opted out of.

Which vaccine did they give you, Trev?

_methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_2733258e-6315-11eb-a89f-ac2e7b8b7ae3.jpg

Yes it was. But I never mentioned that. I just compared UK v EU vax prog.

But now you mention it, it has everything to do with Brexit . Had we still been in the EU we would have suffered their tardy issue of the vaccine. As it was, we were not bound to do that, and the lefties who said that we should 'join' the EU vax programme were horribly wrong (again). And aided by a bit of unpaid 'cronyism' by that superstar Kate Bingham and a few of her mates who got it well and truly sorted months before the EU dinosaur. Who then promptly threw teddy out of the cot because they screwed up.

OK, I'll walk into your trap. Pfizer.
Side effects as above.

Last edited:
Had we still been in the EU we would have suffered their tardy issue of the vaccine.
That's not true I'm afraid. EU states did have the option to go their own way but none of them did. (Several are now regretting that seemingly.)

Whether we'd have joined the EU scheme or gone our own way if we hadn't been exiting is of course another matter.

Isn't 20-20 hindsight a wonderful thing!
Yes. using the same technique as Captain Hindsight himself. Let's see if this will turn out well. Let's give all teachers the jab despite that there is no 'science' behind that idea. Oh hang on a min, the unions will stop them working anyway. There you go. Just applying a bit of foresight 'hindsight'.

@MikeSh We were not 'exiting', we had already exited and were in the 'transition period'.

We were not 'exiting', we had already exited and were in the 'transition period'.
Yes, but until this year we were still allowed and invited to join that EU scheme, so I don't call that "exited".

However, that's missing the point. If the situation had arisen before 2020, or indeed shortly before the referendum, would we have joined the scheme or done as we just did?

No takers on Captain Hindsight then? He was on TV tonight saying what a wonderful job they have been doing.

Yes it was. But I never mentioned that. I just compared UK v EU vax prog.

But now you mention it, it has everything to do with Brexit . Had we still been in the EU we would have suffered their tardy issue of the vaccine.
None of them were bound to, they just all did, thinking they could save a few euros.
As it was, we were not bound to do that, and the lefties who said that we should 'join' the EU vax programme were horribly wrong (again).
With hindsight, yes, I agree, but not just lefties, unless you think in 1D.
And aided by a bit of unpaid 'cronyism' by that superstar Kate Bingham and a few of her mates who got it well and truly sorted months before the EU dinosaur. Who then promptly threw teddy out of the cot because they screwed up.
They took too long approving the vaccines, true.
OK, I'll walk into your trap. Pfizer.
Side effects as above.
So we are still using that expensive EU stuff?

Just got my appointment, a week tomorrow.

Back