Interesting Items...

Pheeeew. Great news about your sight. For my twenty twenty vision sd channels feel like looking through the glass darkly sic.
Where do I queue? I hope they come in a choice of uniform!
Perhaps better not then, you know what they say about making you go blind!

mihaid got me wondering exactly what counts as "twenty twenty vision", so the results of googling:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-exam/2020-vision.htm said:
The term "20/20" and similar fractions (such as 20/40, 20/60, etc.) are visual acuity measurements. They also are called Snellen fractions, named after Herman Snellen, the Dutch ophthalmologist who developed this measurement system in 1862.

In the Snellen visual acuity system, the top number of the Snellen fraction is the viewing distance between the patient and the eye chart. In the United States, this distance typically is 20 feet; in other countries, it is 6 meters.

At this testing distance, the size of the letters on one of the smaller lines near the bottom of the eye chart has been standardized to correspond to "normal" visual acuity — this is the "20/20" line. If you can identify the letters on this line but none smaller, you have normal (20/20) visual acuity.

The increasingly larger letter sizes on the lines on the Snellen chart above the 20/20 line correspond to worse visual acuity measurements (20/40, 20/60, etc.); the lines with smaller letters below the 20/20 line on the chart correspond to visual acuity measurements that are even better than 20/20 vision (e.g., 20/15, 20/12, 20/10).

The single big "E" at the top of most Snellen eye charts corresponds to 20/200 visual acuity. If this is the smallest letter size you can discern with your best corrective lenses in front of your eyes, you are legally blind.

On most Snellen charts, the smallest letters correspond to 20/10 visual acuity. If you have 20/10 visual acuity, your eyesight is twice as sharp as that of a person with normal (20/20) vision.

So, actually, 20/20 isn't all that great. I know I can read the bottom line at the opticians (with my glasses), in fact I don't even bother with the larger lines and go straight for that... it's only when they start mucking about with the optical gantry I have trouble! I can read a car number plate easily at 50m, and just about make it out at 75m.

:roflmao: I knew the Kiwis had a problem with pronunciation (you try and find the "f" in Whangarei - Yes, OK, find the "f" in Loughborough) but, unless the dust is from someone's scab, I think they cocked up the spelling as well.

There was a bunch of road signs around here recently which read "vegitation being cleared..."

I wanted to stop and get a photo of it but there was no-where convenient to stop the car.

Seen on Northern Rail train information screen

Calling at L'pool Sth P'way

Must have had only two grocers available!

Don't think they class as a grocer's apostrophe. Isn't L'pool correct usage? Ditto P'way? Sth is a problem.
How many characters are there on the display? Just enough for what's there? What they need is a bigger display screen or a scrolling display.

Woosh! (the sound of something flying overhead)

That there is a missing apostrophe (Sth) but two others is the reason for the comment:
Must have had only two grocers available!
Yes, grocers' apostrophes are misused possessives, but for the sake of the joke...

How many characters are there on the display? Just enough for what's there? What they need is a bigger display screen or a scrolling display.
It was part of a much larger list of calling points which continuously rolled right to left as in any train carriage info display.

That there is a missing apostrophe (Sth) but two others is the reason for the comment:
True. But my gripe is that the included apostrophes are not grocer's ones.
It was part of a much larger list of calling points which continuously rolled right to left as in any train carriage info display
So no excuse for missing an apostrophe on the grounds of not enough space.
(It's been a long time since I've been on the railway, so I don't know what they display "in train". The local buses and trams make a pig's ear of their displays!)

On a BBC news item - not sure if the quote is sic by a protester or the reporter's own translation:
"Just to marginally improve the view, this is a totally unnecessary desiccation for New Forest land"

Mind you, the New Forest could do with some dessication for much of the year :)

Well, possibly. I wondered, but then I just followed on from the stuff about grocer's
Would have expected the grocer to have been in AvP. My reply and BH's comments could have given you the impression that you were posting to AvP. ;)

Back