Interesting Items...

Neither have I. But, I only get the DM on Saturday, and occasionally Tuesday, so I’m relying on your reporting of that.

I used to do Gogen in the Nottingham Post, which I’ve stopped getting since the price went up and the news content went down. I don’t think I’ve tried one in the Mail. Now you’ve reminded me I’ll give Tuesday’s a go.

After a false start managed to do Tuesday’s in the time between this and the previous post. Feel cheated though. There used to be two in the Nottingham Post. :D

At last, a (2-star) Kurosu I think I can award ●︎●︎●︎●︎●︎

Code:
   ———————————————————————
  | X |   |   |   |   |   |
  |———|———|———|———|———|———|
  |   |   |   |   | X | X |
  |   |   |   |   |   |   |
  |   |   | O |   |   |   |
  |   |   |   |   |   | O |
  | X |   |   | O | X |   |
   ———————————————————————
There is a variation of Kurosu that adds an extra rule. The extra rule is that no two rows, or two columns, can be identical. The new rule enables more complex puzzles to be designed.
See http://binarypuzzle.com/puzzles.php?size=6&level=4&nr=1 for an example that requires 1 application of the additional rule.
See http://binarypuzzle.com/puzzles.php?size=6&level=4&nr=200 which I think is slightly harder than that example if you are not used to the additional rule.

The Mail letters page has a "Straight to the Point" column of snippets, but one of today's has me stumped:
I've come up with a battery powered immersion heater that fits into a pint glass. It comes with an ice pick to get the crust off!

Anyone explain that?

The context could be the pending shift towards electric central heating.

Would a battery powered immersion heater that fits in a pint glass be anything like a travel heater for making one cup of hot beverage? Plug into the mains or maybe a car fag-lighting socket. Certainly would fit into a pint glass. If so, nothing new here.
Would the ice pick be to descale the element rather than remove ice?

I'm guessing it might topical and something to do with the re-opening of pubs, but sitting outdoors only. Given the current outdoor temperatures, pints of beer might actually need warming up rather than cooling down, but you need to hack the accumulated ice off the heater first.

... or I could be wrong ....

Live coverage of the flight trials for the Ingenuity drone aboard the Perseverance rover on Mars:

First still image (navigation camera aboard the drone) came up at 11.54 our time, which showed the shadow of Ingenuity on the ground, followed by a series of stills from Perseverance showing the drone on the ground, in the air, and then on the ground again.

The live coverage ended with a recap of those images, see here:

Last edited:
Or if you don't have 47 Minutes to spare :-

Download a copy here :-

Last edited:
Or if you don't have 47 Minutes to spare :-
I did bookmark the last few seconds which provided the action replay! The actual live coverage was 45 minutes of pre-match build-up and a brief spurt of action right at the end.

The official NASA full video of the flight (downloaded in slow time instead of the previous stop-frame "rushes") is here (57 secs, same video as on the BBC site):

I can't understand why 366 people would have given that a thumbs down.

Last edited:
I can't understand why 366 people would have given that a thumbs down.
Flat earthers who think it's a government conspiracy?
People who think the video quality is poor?
Idiots?

I'm constantly amazed at the number of 👎on YouTube. Sometimes I can see that something might upset some people, like excessive product placement, but often I can't see anything to actually dislike.
I suspect some of it is expectations. People come to the video thinking it'll be amazing (in this case expecting the drone to be flying around as if it was in their back garden) and when disappointed hit the 👎.

Back